TKR Dee's sparkling new knee<'

Go to hospital physio class on a Thursday where we do a curcit class was on the bike not ready to take the peddles round not sure why or how but knee went 3/4 way round I ended up in tears and pain was at a 10 they seem to think it has just strained the knee and keep going through the pain barrier. Now Saturday I have iced the knee elevated rested still in a lot of pain about an 8 don't know what to do for the best. Have booked to see private therapist see if he can help.
I know this happened several posts ago, but i'm going to raise it again. I have a a huge problem with the therapists' advice to "keep going through the pain barrier". :bignono:
That is crazy and is guaranteed to do even more harm to your knee. Don't they know that pain is a warning to stop?

I hope your return to work goes well. Do be prepared to speak up on behalf of your knee and don't do anything to compromise its recovery. Let the owner and the vet lift heavy dogs. Your knees and your back will thank you.
 
Started back at work yesterday all went well iced as soon as I got home as only doing half a day. Knee was not a happy knee last night very tight and sore in itb and just above and just below more ice and elevation needed. Have just got home from day two just did paperwork today hope knee will not complain about that.hope all the July sparklers are doing well x
 
Hi is it normal to have pins and needle like feeling in the lateral side of knee 9.5 weeks post op. I feel like I am not progressing as much as I should be the others two ladies who had the surgery same time as me are riding an exercise bike full rotation I still can not do this. Also both have been signed off by surgeon wants to see me again after another six weeks. Back to work part time is hard knee is more sore now.
 
Yep. It's part of the nerve regeneration process. As long as it's mild, nothing to worry about. If it's particularly bothersome, there are some medications geared toward minimizing it.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
When I try to bend the knee I can get to about 105 then start getting pain in my shin and calf muscle and in the knee should I be worried feel like I should be able to bend the knee more at ten and a bit weeks. I still can not do full rotation on the bike but can do the cross trainer. See my surgeon in a few weeks.
 
I think you're doing OK, @Deeann .
Do try not to compare your recovery with anyone else's. Nobody else's knee was in exactly the same state as yours before surgery and your knee is going to heal on its own schedule, not anyone else's.

A bend of 105 isn't bad at all at 10+ weeks. There really is no need to rush to get more, because ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after surgery. Full rotation on the bike will come, when your knee is ready. Don't push it to get there sooner.

Do you remember the story of the race between the tortoise and the hare? The tortoise won the race, because he kept slowly plodding on. That's what this recovery is like - not fast, but still a winner. If you feel like the tortoise, so be it - you're going to get there in the end.
 
Hi tad worried as knee has gone backwards in rom physio says I have pitted edema in the shin area need to move the leg more. have been back at work for three weeks some part time some full time. My hamstrings feel like rock keep icing knee the other knee has decided it wants a piece of the action and is so painful still taking tramadol and dicloflex when needed.
 
I think perhaps going to work has had some effect on your leg - more swelling and less ROM.
Many people find that going to work is enough activity for the recovering TKR, without adding PT.

Can you try doing the absolute minimum apart from work on work days? Just come home, grab a quick snack and spend the evening resting, icing and elevating. Walk around the house a little and do a few heel slides - no need to do more exercises:
Heel slides and how to do them
 
Went to see my surgeon he is pleased with how things are going. Wants to see me again in January I still feel I have a long way to goals shin and calf as so tight knee rom still only at 90 still having issues with pain trying to cut out meds. Hope all the July sparklers are doing well .
 
Well my knee seems to be doing okay now I am pleased it is cooperating now or I have learnt to do as I am told by giving in to it.
My right knee is not as happy with life at present will speak to my surgeon in January about what I can do to help keep it moving and delay anymore surgery for a while.
on a plus side the exercise bike is getting easier to peddle now only taken 5.5 months
 
it sounds like things are looking up. I did find that support hose helped when I went back to work. I got some on line---discount surgical stockings that had no foot in them so that they were invisible under jeans. I used the thigh hi ones and they were less uncomfortable than I thought they would be. I was always happy to take them off at the end of the day, but they did help with the swelling.
 
Well I had a six month check with surgeon today he bent my knee to 110 says it has been a long road but getting better how do you feel about doing the right knee. As I still feel quite scared he is going to re examine in three months with look at doing right knee in about six months. Omg not sure I will ever be ready but now carry on with trying to strengthen the left so it can then do the work for it's partner in crime right knee.
 
That's a good update from your surgeon. How are you feeling about your new knee? Are you in pain or discomfort? Does it do what you need it to do? I feel the same about getting my other one done - no!!!!!!!!!! But probably inevitable.
 
Hi @Raffs new knee is lots better still limited to what I can do before it starts acting up and aches but if the truth is I am very happy with how things are as the surgeon says it is getting better. As for having the right done I still feel like the left needs more strength and my sports therapist will get my muscle strength back with me in the gym as much as I am able. Hope you are doing well not been on the site for a while as been busy with work and my four legged pals thank you for your support Julie.
 
See surgeon today nine months from left tkr thing are looking good happy with bend. Did some x-Rays of right knee says if feeling ready will put me on waiting list for right tkr so just hope it go's as well as the left.
 
Wow, @Deeann good for you!! I'm holding off until after the first of the year to do my other knee. I've had some issues with my right knee that are still not quite resolved. So, I'd like to see them fixed before I embark on another knee plus we have some weddings coming up this fall that I really would like to be up and dancing up. Keep us posted with your progress.
 
Well second knee is on the list for beginning of July hope it is smoother than the first one. Even though I have had one feel very tentative about getting the other one done
 
I think it's totally normal to feel apprehensive about any surgery, let alone a TKR.
 
Best wishes for July.

When your second knee is done, do try not to compare your surgeries and recoveries. Even with the same person and same surgeon, the recoveries can be completely different.
 
Completely agree with Celle, do not compare recoveries! My left knee recovery was so vastly different from my right knee. Good luck with your tkr. Will follow your thread with interest.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom