Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dee's sparkling new knee<'

I bent the knee with my other legs help to about 60 he decided to give it a push that was so painful. He came back this afternoon for more physio said I am only walking not bending as don't want it pushed. Still can not lift leg on its own using the other leg to lift it about.
Well done you, for saying that you didn't want your knee pushed again. Do not, ever, let anyone do it to you. Pushing on your knee and hurting you is unnecessary, and bad for your knee. Remember this from the BoneSmart recovery philosophy:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you.

Don't worry about not being able to lift your leg on its own. That will come. It took me about a week before I could do it. If you can already bend it to 60 degrees, you're doing very well.
 
Here's my advice from someone who has been around PT for over 7 years. YOU need to take control & tell them very clearly what you will and will not tolerate. I would be looking any PT in the eye & telling them they are never to push my knee without my permission. I would also be very clear about my OS & his approach. If they do not agree, then walk away. Seriously. Now having said that, there is nothing easy about the recovery from a TKR and you my need to push yourself up to the point of discomfort, but never pain. I actually found the hospital based PTs to be much more aggressive than any I worked with in outpatient.

You are so early in your recovery - and these days are often the most discouraging trying to get the pain meds sorted out, knowing exactly what you can & cannot do, and then re- aligning your expectations. I couldn't lift my leg independently for quite a while, so I used my other leg as a lifter. No big deal! There were a lot of things I couldn't do, but I could focus on taking my meds, icing & elevating. Control what you can, let the rest go. I've had both knees done - my 1st recovery was all about pushing myself & it was a miserable experience. My 2nd was more zen like, no pushing, letting the knee tell me what it could do, and very little angst. And I'm in a way better place.

You are fine, you've had a big surgery, don't let PT hurt you!
 
Deaann, don't worry about getting out of bed---the first two weeks are really for elevating, icing and rest so that you get the swelling to go down. Right now your knee is swollen and does not want to bend---what the heck is wrong with that PT---to push the knee is the worst thing to do---that is what causes swelling in the knee!!!

Sounds like you will be better off at home--you can ice and elevate and get the pain under control. Silly, it is almost like the hospital is hindering your recovery!! Don't go crazy with the exercises either---once or twice a day is plenty. You can do heel slides in bed a few times--but only to discomfort-never to pain!
 
Thank you for the positive replies jam now at home with my cryo cuff attached it is great. Have just spoken with my own physio who was as annoyed by being pushed said we will go very gentle it has had enough trauma so think things will be good from now on. So glad I have found bonesmart you guys are great thank you
 
Great news. You'll soon get yourself into a routine at home and start to feel much better. My bed and bedroom have been my sanctuary these last 10 days. Take it very easy, ice and elevate as much as you can and set an alarm day and night to remind you to take your meds. Things will now definitely start to get better.
 
Day 4 slept on and off went for my 1st physio today just some gentle stretches and then ultasounded for pain relief has been painfull on and off all day the tight band seems very tight. Hopefully get some better sleep tonight..
 
Gentle stretches - you are doing well. Hope you get a better sleep!
 
Day 5 of this TKR stint not sleeping very well but keep napping on and off throughout day. The tight band feeling around the top is I think getting tighter am taking tramadol paracetamol four times a day oxycodone twice a day and dicloflex twice a day. Still unable to move leg without help form hand or other leg.
 
@Deeann You're very early in your recovery and doing well. It took me a good couple of weeks before l could move my leg without help. Sleeping is still an issue and I'm almost 6 weeks out. Things will improve, just be patient.
 
I think you're doing just fine for 5 days out. Rest, rest, rest. Ice, ice, ice. Elevate, elevate, elevate. Meds, meds, meds. Makes such a difference. Make sure you set an alarm on your phone so that you don't miss a dose even at night. My alarm goes off at 11pm and 5am - bit annoying but better than pain! And I go back to sleep again from 5am to around 7am which is great.
 
Hi well went to see sports therapist he is very pleased with the knee says the bend will come got to stop worrying. Have a bend of about 60/65 he wants to work more on extension as before surgery could not straighten the knee. He did a gentle massage by the tight area said it was like rock lol. Day after session am a tad sore so think I should just rest and ice today.
 
That sounds good to me. I was at 75 about 10 days out so not to different from you. My PT said the same about the bend improving in time and not to worry. Yes, resting and icing today sounds like a plan.
 
Had staples removed yesterday ended back at the doc's today where it starting to come open hope the steri strips work leave them for about ten days.
 
I got my staples out on Tuesday, and also have steri strips. Neat to see the incision site start to flatten. Congratulations on reaching that milestone!
 
Seem to have taken a few steps back went to physio on Friday ROM 90 over the weekend one of my crutches slipped and put a lot of pressure through the new knee was agony for a few hours and now ROM is back to about 75 back to physio on Tuesday quite scared he will shout saying have not kept up the exercise which I keep trying to do. On a brighter note I can do a little leg raise which has taken two weeks to try and lift the leg.
 
He better not shout. Just tell him about the stress on your knee, that you had some swelling, and want his help to gently work through it. That is his job. To help you, not to judge you. And congratulations on the leg lift! I know how great that felt. You are getting there!
 
Agree with @Slainte No shouting, no pain. It feels great doing a leg raise doesn't it? Took me 11 days!
 
Hi Raffs yes leg raises are good took me 15 days to do. At the moment I just can not seem to get comfortable where to put the knee have taken a few trips out which is great just getting comfortable in the car can be an issue. Still on two crutches don't feel confident to drop one yet.
 
I felt exactly like that at 2 weeks out too. Still do sometimes now too! Good to hear you're getting out. In the car I sit on the back seat with my bad leg elevated along the seat under a pillow if the journey is quite long. On short journeys I sit in the front and put a pillow on the floor and use it to elevate my leg in a comfy position. Two pillows also works. I ice whichever way I'm travelling.
 
Hi now three weeks out fron left tkr have been seeing private sports therapist who has just been doing gentle exercises like leg raises and heel slides all with in a comfortable range. Had my first knee class from the hospital physiotherapist yesterday I am still having pain to my knee and still swelling of course. The physio was saying that your knees are now fixed don't need crutches now which I feel is a tad wrong as I still am limping when try going down to one crutch let alone with no aid. My bend was 87 extension was 35 said that was not acceptable and may need a Mua in the future. Thank you for your help Julie.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom