TKR Dee's sparkling new knee<'

This Julie (me) says pffft! on that PT. I wish PTs were required to be like cheerleaders, in our corner and rooting for us!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Well thats interesting - my surgeon made me stay on crutches for over four weeks as he and the physio feel that the crutches help you stride out and help to alleviate a limp. I tend to agree as I didn't have crutches the first time around and think this time the crutches did help my gait.
Have a quick peak at my thread - my extension and flexion isn't great but I do know it will come along. My first knee is testament to that. Please take heart - you are doing really well with your sports therapist, you are healing slowly but surely and all will be ok Im sure.
 
Your body is telling you the crutches help. I'd say keep using them until you start forgetting them.
Your flexion is going to be fine. From what my OS told me, I'd be concerned about your extension. There are things you can do to help stretch that out, and I'm surprised your therapist hasn't started working a gentle plan to make it happen instead of threatening you with an MUA, which is unproductive at best and downright scare tactics at worst. There may be a time and a place for an MUA, but it's a little early to be tossing that out there.
 
Hi @PolarBear60 my sports therapist is only worried about extension we are making a lot of progress in my sessions with him. My problem was my knee has been bent at about a 20 degree angle for about four or five years so going to take time to stretch out muscles and tendons which have shortened over this time. I am wondering weather I should drop the hospital sessions and stick to my private sessions or try again next week.
 
Ah! I wondered about that. Yes, the extended time prior to surgery of limited extension will take some time to stretch muscles and tendons to get full extension back. Not sure what to say about the hospital program, but your sports therapist sounds like they have the right approach.
 
Oh my, some physical therapists really excel at scare tactics don't they? I was threatened with an MUA on my 1st post op day. I literally laughed at her & you've never seen anyone more taken aback. I think you need a focused game plan for your extension issues, which if they have existed for a number of years they are not going away overnight! As for the crutches, my OS keeps all his patients on some sort of assistive device, walker or crutches for at least 4 weeks or the 1st post op visit. And he didn't want them tossed until I could walk without a limp, and he wanted me to use a cane outside for another 2-3 weeks, even tho I didn't have a limp. Do what feels right for knee and your safety when walking.
 
My knee was at +15 extension prior to my TKR, no clue for how long, but the previous surgery had been 38 years previously (ack that makes me feel old) as a teen. Those extension exercises sure are tedious, but I don't let them get painful with the stretch. :) The PTs are determined to get me to 0 by myself (they get me to 0 with no pain and minimal stretching), but the OS is pleased I am hovering between 5-7.
 
You can work (gently) on some of these exercises to help your extension:
Extension: exercises for improvement

It's quite true that extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion, especially if your leg was bent before your surgery.
It is important, though, to achieve full extension, or as close to full as possible, because you are inclined to limp if you can't extend your leg fully.
 
Well just over three and half weeks out knee is doing well we are working hard on extension and flexion. Is it normal to feel like the knee is moving just feel a tad strange I know it is not me think I am losing the plot with it. Just come home from my massage therapist who treats my neck and shoulder he has done a little bit to my itb and around the knee it self also my right knee is not happy with all the attention the left is getting so playing up as well it is not quite as bad as the left but still bone on bone. Today has been a painfull day been up the farm to see the cattle and sheep then home to do exercises then use the mobility scooter to go to gym where my therapist as based now icing with the cryo cuff on left and ice packs on right will it get easier?..
 
I believe it is, sure I've seen a post on this forum that asked the same question. My knee felt loose when l first had it done but has settled down now. It will get easier, you just need to give it time, it's still very early days.
 
Thanks @CATSMUM think I just want to run before I can walk if you know what I mean.
 
I can feel mine moving - I can feel the patella gliding up and down, it's not painful, just feels odd. My other knee is grumbling too, I think a lot of people find this after they've had one done. It will get easier. I'm 10 days ahead of you and can do things today that I couldn't do a week ago. Just gotta take it slow, have patience and remember to keeping resting, elevating, icing and taking meds as needed.
 
Well had hospital knee class today flexion is 87 extension is 29 better than last week but they were not to impressed. why is it when my sports therapist works with me we can nearly get the leg straight now yet because you are only in a class it is just about number pushing. I need to be ready to go back to work in two weeks time don't feel ready at the moment hoping two weeks will notice lots of difference. Also need to be driving.
 
I had the same experience, with expert help flex and extend get better faster. It is super easy to watch others go fast but it works better to go really slowly. My therapist was massaging the exact place that was tight at the initial stretch, next stretch that spot was fine and there was another tight spot. Not many of us are body aware enough to be able to slowly stretch, identify the tightest spot and release it [how?] then move to the next tight spot. Sure would be great to be able to do that. I can now massage so those annoying twinges go away but that's as far as I have gotten.
 
Hi well the knee is one month old today. I have had a very tough weekend knee feels so tight in the back and front and pain from hip to bottom of the leg. Have iced elevated and rested just been to see my therapist who has done his gentle stretches and massage which has helped a little. Tried to get into the van to drive and still can not operate the peddles at this moment. Need to go see the doc as ment to go back to work in just over a week don't think the knee is ready yet.
 
Happy annivers-aknee!!! Why was your weekend tough? Did you do things to cause you the tightness and pain? Or because of the tightness and pain? Have you been given the ok to drive? Some insurance companies insist on 6 weeks, I believe. Will you see your GP or OS? At one month out it is very early to go back to work. A lot of people do go back if they have desk jobs, and many go back part time at first.
 
I thought I could back after 8 weeks, but that wasn't possible at all. My OS advices 12 weeks and that's what it ended up being. 12 weeks with a phased return, just mornings for 6 weeks. The energy drain is ridiculous and even at 12 weeks I couldn't teach all day.
 
Hi @Raffs no not been cleared to drive just wanted to see if I had the movement in knees. Been a tough weekend due to pain and tightness in both the knee's go back to see doc 21st for sick note or to be cleared to go back to work. My sports therapist says nine weeks for work again. I will be on my feet on and off when I go back to work as a veterinary nurse. Hi @KarriB just doing my therapy has me exhausted seeing the private therapist three times a week. Hope everyone had a good weekend xx
 
I didn't drive for 6 weeks. It stunk having to wait, but it was the right thing.
 
We recommend about 12 weeks before you go back to work, and even then doing a Phased return to work .
as a vet nurse, you'll be on your feet a lot, so don't rush back too soon
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom