Guest viewing is limited

TKR Deep knee bend

Wow that's great you slept well last night. Your range of motion is excellent. Keep up with icing and elevating. A few short walks in your house to kitchen and bathroom is enough activity for you.
 
With just a little bit of daily activity you'll find that your knee will getting better without too much pain.
 
My surgery was MRch 13. I think I am progressing well. But I'm wondering what exercises I should be doing at this point.
 
In post #4, you were given the guidelines to follow. Your main job right now is to heal. Don't worry about exercising at this point in your recovery, just follow the BoneSmart guidelines and you'll do just fine. Painful exercising will probably do more harm than good right now and cause increased swelling and pain. If you'd like to read about my recovery without me taking PT or extra exercising, please click on my link.
 
I have a painful area next to incision. It feels like metal. I asked OS about it and he said that area of the knee takes the biggest assault during surgery. It's not metal and it will get better over time. If it didn't hurt so much I think I could get more ROM. Good luck!
 
All through my recovery I would have different areas that would hurt. I never had an explanation for the traveling pains, but they did get better. Yours will, too. Your knee is still a baby at only two months old. This recovery needs that word that so many of us dislike...patience! I was one of those that wanted it healed NOW! Well, for me now is almost here. Your time will come when your pain is gone, too! Just treat your knee like a baby and it'll come along just fine!
 
Kmhark
I have a painful area next to incision. It feels like metal. I asked OS about it and he said that area of the knee takes the biggest assault during surgery. It's not metal and it will get better over time. If it didn't hurt so much I think I could get more ROM. Good luck!

Yes. The incision is sensitive. To me the more the swelling decreases the less sensitive the incision. Mine is still sensitive but improving
 
My rom is good. I'm walking good. Still taking care. I think I will go to my Sunday School class tomorrow. It's only 45 minutes and a 5 min ride with hubby
 
I couldn't wait to get back to Sunday School and church. It was a month before I was able to go back. I'm about 30 minutes away and I couldn't drive, so I went with my neighbor. She stayed for church, too. I took my walker and propped up my leg on a back pew. I also took ice packs and put one in the freezer for church after SS. These things helped a lot, but I was still extremely uncomfortable by the time we got back home. The rest of the afternoon I slept and did nothing. Your knee is only two weeks old. It might be a bit rough on you to go this early. Do be sure to prop up and ice while you're there! I pray you make it and are enriched there!
 
I agree with Sister. Two weeks is early for such an outing. Even when I returned to church at 2.5 months I had to prop my leg up again on another chair. So if you decide to go, be sure you have a chair nearby that you're leg can sit on, otherwise you'll be dealing with a lot of swelling after an hour.
 
Thanks for the advice. It really will depend on how it goes in the morning.
I will prop my leg while there. We have padded chairs and cushions. I teach senior women and it's a very small class. My sub is teaching for me during my recovery so I will be just attending with them. I guarantee I will not stay for worship and will ice and elevate when I get home. My husband will make me lunch and bring it to me. He is bone smart supportive.
 
I decided not to go to Sunday school.
Actually the getting dressed to go was the decision maker. Shower drying hair etc. takes me a long time. So that combined with the actual SS time just seemed too much. Hubby took them my thank you card. I just did my bike and stretch and ice/elevate.
Dr. Tuesday. I fell he will dismiss therapy. But even if he doesn't. I am not going. I can do better on my own. My rom is already 115 and extension 0.
 
115 is great! I think you made a wise choice about SS. I stayed home today because I just got back from vacation, but after a TKR everything takes longer and takes so much energy. Just getting ready tires you out. In another few weeks you'll have a little more energy.
 
Your range of motion is very good. I'm sure your OS will be happy with those numbers.
 
I teach senior women and it's a very small class.
I teach the adult class with about 15 of us. When I first tried to study for the lesson when going back, I couldn't do it. My mind just wouldn't concentrate enough to put together the lesson. I was so disappointed, I cried. Then I went back and read about the brain fog, the energy drain and the depression again, and realized that I wasn't alone. You will get back when your knee and body are ready for you to. Take the time you need to heal and get some strength back. With your ROM, you don't need PT. You've got it!
 
I had a super nice PT. He respected my philosophy and never attempted to push on my leg. Last week he thought since my rom and extension was so good we should add strengthen exercise with resistance and some more exercises. Since I could do them without pain I did them knowing I really shouldn't. I told him that I would be swollen the next day. Sure enuff I thought I had a Basketball on my knee. I rested elevated and iced. The next day cancelled my appointment. And continued rest ice elevate with gentle knee bend exercise one more day. When I went back to PT, I told him I wanted to back up to where I was with no increase in resistance. He did. When he measured he said am I measuring your surgery leg. This is unbelievable you are up 15 degrees actively and passive is over the top. I told him see my knee was not ready For the increase. All I had to do was get the swelling down and it will bend. I don't think I ever sold him on my philosophy for his other patients because he said anytime you do something new you have swelling you just have to work through it.
 
I. Am thankful he went along with me. And he would always stop wherever a patient said. But patients without the bone smart philosophy would do too much cause they don't know and the PT's think you have to be aggressive. There was a tkr man there when they told him to let them know when the workload was enough, he let them up it until he was groaning. I said I would never push myself to where it hurt that much. The lady PT said you would if you still could not reach 90 degrees at as long as it had been since his surgery. Poor man.
 
It's because the PT added resistance/strength too early. Strength training is ok, but not until the knee and soft tissues are totally healed at around 4-5 months, but every knee is different. At under a month post op it is too early for resistance/strength. Go back to what was working for your knee and not causing pain or swelling.
 
Experience is the best teacher. Your knee taught you what is best for it. Don't let that PT talk down to you. You know what works. You don't even have to go anyway! Daily activities will rehab your knee just fine.
 
I was in an imbolizer brace a month after my TKR. No bending for 4 weeks. My knee was so skinny and not swollen at all! At 4 weeks I was allowed to begin bending but using non-aggressive technique. My OS demonstrated this by sliding my foot 2 inches with his foot. That's all I did for a few weeks. A month later I was on a recumbent bike getting a full rotation. When I left therapy my ROM was 109, but I still gained ROM a year after my TKR. Last month when I was getting shots in my left knee the PA was astounded at how flexible my TKR is now after everything that happened.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom