THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana757, you are such a kind friend. Thank you! The progress is a wonderful thing and each leap is delightful.
Did you enjoy the snow yesterday? :)
 
We actually didn't get any around here...but I just got back from bowling and saw a lot of cars with snow on them. So, it must've just bypassed our condo development. Yeah!!
 
@DeepBreath - I was so happy to read about your breakthrough moment and your husband remarking how you were "zipping around without your cane!" :yes!: You have been working hard with your PT. That must be paying off. I bet the massage and stretching from your PT also helped. And only 8 weeks from your 2nd hip op - I'm sure time will show more healing and improvements! Congrats to you.
Sorry your friend felt ill and you all couldn't get together. I know you were really looking forward to it. I hope you get to see them soon.
I woke up to a few inches of snow on the ground. Very pretty (especially since I didn't have to scrape my car off and rush to work!) I don't mind getting my 2 hips done over the winter and hibernating to heal them, then hopefully emerging in the spring as the bionic woman. :chuckmarch:
 
@Nana757, isn't it interesting how some places get no snow while others do? We got maybe an inch or so and it started to melt quickly. There is still a bit on the ground due to the super cold temps. It actually looks like winter. :)

@Readysetgo, you're so kind. Thank you. :) Although the goal of these surgeries was to lead a pain free life and improve my gait, ROM, etc, it is still surprising to me when these things come about. I find myself quite often walking and thinking, "I have no pain" :wow: and now that I am beginning to improve my gait and flexibility, I have even more to be amazed by. :)
I'll bet it is lovely up in your part of the country. I fully agree about winter being a good time to have the surgery and recover. You're right, by spring we'll be emerging from our cocoons. :yahoo:
We will definitely make it a point to visit our friends once they get settled. I felt so bad for our friend, feeling so cruddy on top of that long journey. Blech!

Have a great day, friends! I hope you are warm and cozy wherever you are. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath! I agree. It is incredible when you have no pain. I always think, "Wow...last year at this time I was struggling to get dressed." Now I don't even think about it.

It's a constant balance...adding new activity, but not overdoing it. I'm a little sore from the audition and road trip, so today will be an easy day. I love being warm and cozy, too. It's comforting. Have a great day...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! It does feel good to see and feel those improvements. I'm not there 100% yet as I still limp most of the time, but it is getting much better and that gives me great hope. :)
You inspired me a lot with your way of approaching healing. The emotional aspects as well as the physical...all of it is so important.
It is wonderful weather for cooking and baking, isn't it? I so enjoy that in the winter. It's cozy and makes me happy.
You are so right about the wonderful way the house smells when you've got things bubbling on the stove or baking in the oven. :)
How is the show stuff going? Also, how is the knitting coming along? I imagine you working on lovely, soft projects in between auditions and such. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi @DeepBreath, I'm sorry...I read this when I first got back from my trip, and didn't realize until today that I forgot to answer it. I have found the emotional aspect of healing to be the most important. I am also a very emotional person, so I need to deal with that aspect, first. Otherwise I get out of balance.

The auditions are going really well. I love the people that are behind the table. Now I'm the same age that they are. I feel very comfortable with them. And yes, I am still knitting. I like to work on it while I'm waiting to be seen at auditions. It gives me something productive to do. I like having something to show for my time.

Oh, my dad told me that my walking is "better". He's has a critical eye, though. He noticed I was "walking differently" when I was last there. He also pointed out that I had a lot of space between my legs. (He was walking behind me when we took the dogs for a walk.) So, I guess my gait isn't as perfect as I thought. Oh well. I'm glad your gait feels smoother and that the PT is helping.
 
@DeepBreath what you've written is very inspiring! You seemed to have disciplined approach to your pt and ot.
I'm finally just getting to 1 week from surgery tomorrow, and finally feeling ready to start a 3 x per day with the legs exercises. iM wondering what benefit the OT was ....as I learned all the basic movements for stairs, car, bathroom ......etc, yet it sounds like you had more sessions than that?
So glad for you that you've made such great progress........
Thanks again for all your sharing here...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I hope you had a very cozy, restful day yesterday and that the soreness is gone. I find myself doing the comparison thing a lot. Gosh, even six months ago things were so different. I like the changes. :)
No worries about the other post. I'm so glad you are enjoying the auditions and that you're comfortable with those you're auditioning for. That has to feel great. Also, what a great idea to bring your knitting with you. It passes the time and is constructive.
No offense to your dad, but I hope you weren't discouraged by his comments about your gait. You have come so far in such a short amount of time. I take great inspiration from your approach to healing and using your knowledge of yoga to assist in the process. The fact that you are auditioning so much, able to work on your property, and are back to doing so many things you had not been able to do for quite some time is amazing.
For what it's worth, I am astonished by and proud of you. :)

@geneva, what a kind thing to say...thank you. :) To be honest, I had a bit of a slow start when it came to PT. I'm very glad I found this site and had read up on the advice regarding post op PT and not pushing it. I had a not so great in home physical therapist whom I first met just 5 days after my first THR (in September). I had some weight bearing restrictions due to a femur fracture and that impacted my physical therapy. The therapist and I grappled back and forth about what I *should* be doing. I was firm about following the advice I learned here and listening to my surgeon's recommendations; the therapist was adament that I should be able to do more and was frankly odd in his measures to get me to do so. We soon parted ways and while I did do some of the exercises he showed me, I was in no rush to push it. I was focused on recovering enough from the first THR to get the second one done after 8 weeks. When I spoke to my surgeon about PT prior to my second surgery, I flat out told him I didn't want to even think about physical therapy at all until 4 weeks after that second surgery (I based this on how I felt after my first surgery. It took me about that long to begin to feel even a bit 'normal' again.) He listened to me and after the surgery put in a consult for out patient PT for 4 weeks out. During those 4 weeks I just moved around at home. I found that simply going about the business of living helped move my recovery along fine.
Now, I do have some issues that I felt warranted the help of a good, knowledgeable physical therapist. I was born with compromised hips and have dealt with the effects of that all my life, so I have some things to overcome and gait habits to correct. I am very determined to reach my goal of having the smoothest gait and best range of motion and flexibility I possibly can. I listen to my excellent physical therapist, and she listens to me. :)
Even so, I don't push unnecessarily. Again, I follow the advice I've read here on the site and really listen to my body. I am supposed to do my at home set of exercises twice daily, but I rarely do. I do them once a day and then walk...either outside, on a treadmill, or just around the house as I do chores. That all counts as PT. :)
Time and healing are huge contributors to the recovery process. My first THR hip is markedly different than my second THR hip. They're both getting stronger, but I can definitely tell a difference.
If I ever feel too achy or like I've overdone it, I pull back and give myself a day (or more) to rest. I've read enough stories here about folks who have had setbacks because they pushed too hard too fast.
I'm a believer in physical therapy, but it has to be good physical therapy...never pushing to the point of pain or beyond your restrictions...and I let my body be my guide. A good physical therapist will understand and support that. Just please don't feel like you absolutely have to do 'x amount' of PT per day. Take it slow...these are early days for you yet...and listen to your body. Sorry for the long 'sermon'. :blush: I am just very adamant about giving your body what it needs to heal properly and strongly believe that time is the biggest tool in that arsenal. :)

Re: the OT, the only sessions I had with my OT were in the hospital. I took pictures on my cell phone of areas in my home that were of concern to me, and of the aids I had purchased prior to surgery so I could give her an idea of what I was working with. She was great and really listened and helped me formulate plans on how to do things...especially since I had the femur fracture at first. For example, I was very wary of using the shower stool I had purchased (simple raised stool with no arms) as it didn't give me the feeling of stability I desired. She suggested taking my frame walker into the shower for support instead. Brilliant! :)
I also saw her again after my second surgery and was able to tweak things that needed it.
Thank you for your patience in reading this. I honestly didn't mean to go on so long. :)
I am SO happy for you for being a 'One Week Out' Hippie! I hope you're feeling good and are pleased with the results. It continues to get better from here. :yes!:
 
Well my lady, just got caught up on your recovery and I can say it's awesome! You've really helped me think of things that haven't crossed my mind before (tramadol withdrawal as an example). I'm so happy at how well you're doing and want to thank you for all the kindness and help you've given others here on Bonesmart! :loveshwr:
 
I couldn't agree more @DeepBreath about listening to your body. That is probably the single best piece of advice I have gotten from this forum and it has helped tremendously. The doctor's give us guidelines and restrictions but beyond that, our bodies will tell us when something doesn't feel right and it's up to us to listen.

Isn't it the most incredible thing to stop and realize there is no pain! I am still so in awe of that and I hope I never get too normal feeling that I forget what it was like to live in that constant pain. When I think of where we all were just six months ago, it is truly mind-boggling.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm glad your auditions are going well and that you saw your dad. I wouldn't worry too much about what he said about your walking. He is probably over analyzing like most of us would if we were watching someone walk who just had surgery recently - just kind of looking for every little thing. But how you feel is the most important thing and this is a process. It all just takes time but again I go back to how we were just a few short months ago and it stops me in my tracks with how far this miracle surgery has brought us all. :yes:
 
Hi @Deep Breath, I totally agree with everything you said. I still have to remind myself to scale back, as far as working out. Yesterday I went to the gym, and today I've sore on the left side of my bum. I tried adding some weight to the butt blaster. I won't do that next time. Live and learn.

@Hipster Girl, You're right. I was walking two big dogs at the time. I just get tired of people analyzing my gait when it's not their job. I had so many people doing that right after the surgery. I finally told one woman, "You have both of your hips replaced at the same time, and let's see how you walk." I'm sure they mean well, but I still find it annoying. I'm not the most patient person. I studied my gait in the studio mirror yesterday, and am thrilled with the results.
 
@Cynthia777, you are such a sweetie! Thank you for the kind words and for the enouragement you have given me throughout my journey. Your awesome attitude is going to help you with your recovery so much. :)
Please, please, please read my PM to you about the Tramadol issue. I unnecessarily freaked myself out. I would just kick myself if I did the same to you. Everything is going to be okay. :flwrysmile:

@Hipster Girl, I have that same thought, that I don't ever want to take this amazing feeling for granted. I am so thankful to be free of that awful hip pain and I never want to lose that awe or gratitude. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! It sounds like the Butt Blaster did its job a little too well. :wink: Just kidding...I know exactly what you mean. I have started walking on our treadmill here at home and when I get my workout mix going it's nothing for me to quickly overdo it. My PT was very adamant about taking things s l o w l y but it feels great at the time and I think, "Meh, I can handle this!" My achy muscles later that evening tell a different story. Slow and steady does it.
I hear you about having people comment on your gait. Even if they do mean well, my goodness, do they think that we are completely unaware that we are still healing and it's an ongoing process?
I honestly think some folks expect THR patients to jump off the operating table and waltz out of the hospital, completely 'cured'.
I'm SO glad you're thrilled with what you see in the mirror! That is what counts. You are the person best suited to analyze your own gait.
Your dad saying what he did made me think of my mother. God love her, I think she worried herself into state about my hips. I honestly think she blamed herself somehow for their condition. She would fuss and fuss over the way I walked all my life. It was very tiresome. I know it was just her worrying for me, but it sometimes felt like she wanted me to feel guilty about it. Odd...that dynamic between mothers and daughters. Any parent/child relationship is complex.
Sorry for the ramble! :)
Re: you walking two big dogs, it stands to reason your legs would be slightly far apart. That's a brace position and I imagine you are quite a small woman. You'd need to brace to control two big doggies. :yes:

Enjoy your days, Friends! I'm celebrating your progress right along with you. :)
 
@Josephine, my surgeon and my physical therapist have described my gait as being somewhat 'scissored'. I have looked up the definition of this and can see what they mean. I think it is the result of many years compensating for pain and dysplasia. To me, my gait is greatly improved over what it was pre-surgery, but I am really hoping to overcome my gait issues as completely as I can.
Do you have any advice on this and what I can do to eventually correct this gait pattern?
Thank you for your time! :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Ah the gait...I know what you mean. It sounds like you're doing really well. Maybe it will just take more time. Yes, walking two big dogs is kind of a challenge. I'm just relieved that I can walk them both at the same time again. I wonder what influences how we walk. Something tells me that the subconscious is also involved. I noticed that my surgeon observes me from behind, when I'm not aware that he's there. I feel kind of self conscious when other people watch me walk.

You're right about the butt blaster. I don't think I'll use it again. That and that platform machine that you push with your legs. I hope your PT is going well. I'm going to google scissor gait and see what you mean.
 
Glad to hear that your gait is improving. It keeps getting better, I promise. I went to the gym the other day starting out slowly but going to get there. When I was walking out to the car I thought - I am not limping at all. I walk like a normal person -- Please be careful on stairs. I finally did what I feared, slid down 3-4 stairs the other day. The hips were fine but scared me to death as sliding down. I still go down stairs one step at time out of habit, and have been trying to break that habit, but still go slowly. Of course then I slip on socks. After 4 and 6 months I'm thinking, this is not happening. My tailbone hurt more than any pain from 2 surgeries.

Keep up your great recovery!
 
Boy, you said it @DeepBreath about people thinking we just get off the operating table and waltz out of the hospital cured. It's surprising how many people I have had to tell that this is a process, not instantaneous. There are good days and bad days and sometimes we take a step or two forward (no pun intended) and other days we might take a step back, but as long as our recovery is moving in the right direction and we are improving, that is all that matters. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I agree @Hip Hip Hooray! it can be annoying to have people analyzing our gait all the time, and of course walking two big dogs your gait would be "off". Gosh, I used to have two little cocker spaniels and those two would take "me" for a walk so I can only imagine with two big dogs!

@Doodles51, so glad you are okay after sliding down the stairs like that, whew!~
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I am encouraged by the progress with my gait, ROM, etc. I have to keep reminding myself that it is a process.
Re: walking big dogs, there is no way I could walk Gracie. She's a gentle sweetie, but has never been good on a leash. I can't imagine walking two big fur babies. :)
It's interesting about the machines that different people find to be helpful and the ones that don't work for them. You sure know it when they don't help matters!
I've found it to be a bit difficult to get a lot of information on the scissoring gait. From what I've read it's most commonly associated with cerebral palsy patients and I haven't found much for people who don't have CP.
I think you're absolutely right that the subconscious plays a huge role in our gait.
I hope you enjoy a pleasant weekend. :)

@Cynthia777, right now the PT is mainly focusing on strengthening and stretching. The gait work we've done has been concentrated on my limp. There is a gait analyst at my physical therapy office whom I'd like to speak to about the scissoring. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time and practice. Sometimes I can be quite impatient. :wink:

@Doodles51, thank you for the encouragement about gait improvement. :) I am so sorry to hear you slid down those stairs. I know that is a fear of mine. I hope your tailbone feels better soon and am glad to hear the slip didn't affect your hips.

@Hipster Girl, Amen about the forward steps :) The saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes is so true. Unless you go through a certain situation, you really don't know what all is involved.
I hope your week went well and was hopefully a bit less stressful. :)



** I went back over my posts where I shared my concern over the cold turkey cessation of Tramadol in hopes of adding a disclaimer at the beginning to let people know that my fears were, for the most part, unfounded. Unfortunately, it seems the editing option can only be done for a short while after a post is made.
I would like to state that it was not my intention to cause anybody undue worry over Tramadol usage or stopping use of it.
My thread is simply an account of *my* personal experiences. I share many things on my thread related to my THR journey. The Tramadol thing was simply one of those. I was worried and I shared it. My experiences are not a reflection of what anybody else's might look like. We are often advised here on the forum to not compare our process to anybody else's as every case is different.
I found my use of Tramadol to be a positive experience and I am glad I had it to help through both of my THR's.
Take care everybody and be well.
 
@DeepBreath
Listen lass, I am ever so grateful that you shared YOUR experience and research on the Tramadol! Possible medication side effects and/or withdrawal issues are important to know. I've cut back to two a day (from four a day) and I'm doing very well on the lower dose. With this being said, I can't thank you enough! :loveshwr:
 
@Cynthia777, you are a sweetie. :)
I am so glad your step down is going well. You're in my thoughts as your day approaches. I'm so excited for you to experience no pain in your hips. It's going to be so amazing! *Hugs*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom