THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DeepBreath
You are such a dear to think you needed to explain yourself about your experience with your pain med cessation. Anyone who reads your thread And any of your posts should know that you are just the sweetest person and would never "misguide" anyone and that you were just sharing your own personal experience. I have always found your posts to be filled with your loving and warm spirit, with a lot of inspiration thrown in. I hope you are all snuggled up in front of a blazing fire with your furry friend by your side. I'm looking out my window and see snow. So, maybe we will get a little today, after all. I know you already have.
 
@DeepBreath I totally agree with Nana, there is no way anyone on here could think you were doing anything except sharing your personal experiences, which is what the recovery forums are all about. You don't have a thing to worry about or disclaim. It's all good!
:friends:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, How are things going? I googled the scissor gait, and watched a videotape of a child with CP. The legs seem to collapse. From your posts, it sounds like you are getting stronger and more mobile. You're making progress, and taking positive action.

I has really helped me to discuss the recovery with the people here. My ex came over the other night, and when I excitedly showed him my gait he seemed bored and very unimpressed. He asked to see my scar, and reacted the same way. "That's it?" he asked. Oh well. I'm glad I broke up with him. Some people have no idea what we go through to get this far.

I think all that you are doing shows incredible perseverance and tenacity.
 
Thanks for the kind words, friends. :)
I just wanted to make sure I hadn't given anybody the wrong idea regarding stopping Tramadol.

I wish I could find more information online about a scissored gait that is not due to Cerebral Palsy. God love those who struggle with that. I am so fortunate that my gait is not as severe as that. I'm hoping I can retrain my body to not walk with that gait though.
Time and patience. :)

Today I am making a roast in my new dutch oven. I got it last summer for a great price and have yet to attempt a roast in it. I'm hoping it comes out nice and tender.

Sending warm vibes to all..:)
 
My son-in-law cooks turkeys and hams in roasters. And, oh my goodness, they turn out wonderful. A roast sounds absolutely delish... Especially on a day like today....I'm sure you're rather snowed in. We didn't get but a dusting...roofs and cars are covered .... Maybe an inch, if that. The sun is now melting everything, so the roads are clear, thank goodness. Hope you are doing well today @DeepBreath.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Nana757, we got about 6 inches in total, so not too bad. The dicey part is that we got 3 inches of snow then it rained/sleeted pretty hard for several hours and then grew cold enough to snow again and be below freezing all of yesterday. Because of that we have a significant layer of ice under the snow. Ice makes me nervous with my still healing shiny new hips. :)

@Cynthia777, fingers crossed the roast tastes good. It sure smells heavenly. :)
I just added the carrots and potatoes a while ago.

It's interesting that the company I purchased the dutch oven from (Lodge) prices them not just according to size, but color as well. The one that appealed to me, a lovely warm orange, must not be terribly popular because it was significantly less expensive than the other dutch ovens of that size.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner for me! :)
 
DeepBreath, I'm so glad to read about your progress! One thing I've learned in my own dealings with my gait is that, for a long time, I had been walking flat footed with my right leg. I was walking sort of like Frankenstein, which strikes me as quite funny! I started doing exercises of standing on my toes and making sure I went on my toes when walking; sure enough, my gait has improved a lot and I'm walking much better.

I'm glad you didn't get a lot of snow, but do worry about the ice. I think all of us worry about walking in bad weather with our new hips. Good thing you are being careful! Also love hearing about your dutch oven. I have quite a few cast iron frying pans made by Lodge and I use them just about every day. Oh, and I'd love to have some of that chicken dinner!! Blessings to you!
 
@HipSurprise, thanks for the kind words and the encouragement about the gait thing. I just need to be patient and to work on correcting the gait. I'm in an impatient phase and a slightly funky mood at the moment. This too shall pass and I know time brings surprising results. :)
I love my Lodge dutch oven. I'll bet you get such good use out of your cast iron. That is such a great product for cooking. My mom had a set of cast iron frying pans and a dutch oven and the meals she would make...YUM!
I was so pleased with outcome of my roast. I have a difficult time cooking beef, unless it's just browing ground beef.
I found a good recipe for slow cooking with a dutch oven and the results were fantastic! I'm pleased as punch. :)
 
@DeepBreath
I must share a funny little story with you. Our church was having a huge pot luck, so I decided to make a SUPER easy recipe I had read online (I make a killer spaghetti sauce, but that's about all I can make..lol) and hoped my cooking ineptitude wasn't too noticeable. Since the congregation is quite large, there were literally about 100 or more dishes lined up for all to partake in. At the end of the evening and time to pick up our containers, I waited until the last minute to get mine because I didn't want anyone to know who made those ugly park chops. As I approached the tables i noticed four or five women just standing there next to my empty slow cooker and I wondered what was up. Well, I'll be darned if those women weren't waiting there to write down my "fabulous" recipe (one woman even said her husband hates meat, but tasted mine and made her wait to get the recipe so she could make it for him)! Now the embarrassing part (the recipe)...brown the pork chops and season them with garlic salt and pepper. Next pour some cream of mushroom soup on the bottom of the slow cooker and place a few more pork chops on top. Next cover those chops with more soup, making layers of pork chops and soup. Place cover on and cook on slow for 10 hours. Those women stood there almost speechless because the recipe is SO easy to prepare and tastes absolutely delicious! I'm not sure if you could use some kind of beef with the recipe (that shows you how little I know about cooking)! Sorry for the novel, but just thought I'd share the recipe with you in case you haven't seen it before. :)
 
@DeepBreath,@Hip Hip Hooray!, @Hipster Girl , Thanks so much for your posts and sharing .....and to all the rest forum member above. I'm Now more fully entering full on week # 2 and finding all your threads and post so helpful....also reading all the older archived posts as well.
My husband is about to go on a business trip for 2 days and I'm a not freaked about being alone....just this is the first time I'm feeling stranded and "grounded"....no driving, no meandering out around the yard....just me
And my Walker and visits from PT and OT.....and the friends family phone and YOU all. Kind of a weird feeling?
I also think a bit of the post surgery exhaustion, disrupted sleep, medication wind down and emotional episodes others have spoken of are surfacing.......its consoling to read on the different posts here that it's normal....or at least not so unique. Otherwise I'd be worrying myself...........we have sunshine and rainbows after our storms...
but so enjoying the winter wonderland picture I see on TV for those back east. Plenty of safety concerns and hardship.....having grown up in the MW is is still nostalgic!
 
@DeepBreath I totally understand on the patience thing. I struggle with that as well but I have no doubt between your determination and your awesome physical therapist, you are going to see marked improvement in your gait. It's still fairly early on in the process and you have a lot of PT sessions ahead, but it will come.

I'm glad you are being careful on the ice - it can be very treacherous. I thought about investing in one of those cleat type shoes with the grabber things on the bottom that grip the ice - not sure what they're called but you can find them on Amazon. Just an idea.

@Cynthia777 your recipe sounds so simple that even I should be able to swing that and I am a terrible cook.:yes: I'm not big on pork chops but I bet that recipe would work with other meats as well. I may have to give that a try.

@geneva hope all is going well for you being home by yourself. :)
 
@DeepBreath You've had 2 replacements in short order. You are doing marvelously in your recovery!

I too, had concerns about still limping after 7 weeks and the PA told me that my gait would improve. He was right, before long, it got much better. I walk smoothly now, but at times, I feel some stiffness in both legs when I walk.

Today, I fell down pretty hard, slipping on a patch of black ice. (something I have always been fearful of happening). Fell on my non-operated side, but still a bit sore and swollen at the incision site. I hate winters here!!! :censored: :snow dig:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, wonder if this will work, first time I've tried quoting.
My ex came over the other night, and when I excitedly showed him my gait he seemed bored and very unimpressed. He asked to see my scar, and reacted the same way. "That's it?" he asked. Oh well. I'm glad I broke up with him.
How could anyone been so curt about something so BIG? Well no great loss eh? My only comment on that is, I hope he never has to cope with the same sort of thing - and if he does I expect he'll want some sympathy ....
 
@Cynthia777, I love that story about your pork chops! I think the best kinds of meals are the simple ones. Your recipe very much sounds like the kind of stuff my Mom made us. It was good, hearty, made-with-love stuff. I love that people were clamoring for your recipe. :)
Thank you for checking on me. I'm okay, I promise. I'm having an emotional blip that I think is perimenopause related. Usually twice a year I will skip my period (sorry, TMI). This month was one of those and I just don't get that release feeling. I've been cranky and out of sorts and that's not like me. It makes me uncomfortable. This too shall pass though! It's great to have awesome buddies who share and care. :)

@geneva, sending good thoughts out for you with your honey gone for a bit. This process can be a roller coaster. Luckily, there seem to be more up days than down, but the down times can feel overwhelming. Take good care of yourself and know that you always have support here. :)

@Hipster Girl, you know, I keep telling myself, "It's early days still...CALM DOWN!" Most of the time I know this, but sometimes I get a burr up my rear and decide I need to be all healed and walk like a runway model (yeah...that's not going to happen :wink: ) It's a process and it takes time. I need to grab ahold of an 'attitude of gratitude' and focus on the huge gains instead of the small gripes.
I know exactly what you mean by the ice grabber things for shoes! That's a really good idea. They're not used to much snow here and aren't the best at clearing off walkways. If a path is in the shade, well it's going to stay icy for a bit.
How are things going with work and PITA? I hope all is well.

Oh, @GIMPY GAL! I'm so sorry you fell. Sending tons of feel better vibes. That is such a scary thing, isn't it? Doggone black ice! Grrrr! I'm frightened of going rump over teakettles myself.
Thank you for your kind reassurances about the limp/gait issues. I do feel a difference since I've been in PT. It's just a matter of patience and keeping up with my exercises.
Take good care of yourself, Gimpy. :)

@Miss Muffet, you did it! Perfect quote! :) I so agree with what you said to @Hip Hip Hooray! (I'm sorry I didn't respond about that, HHH). That was a cruddy way for him to behave. "That's it?" Really?! Perhaps he should try undergoing major surgery and see if he could do yoga, dance, and tend to all the household things after only 5 months. Why bother coming over if he's just going to be a knob? (Sorry...that's got me steamed)



I met the nicest lady today at PT. She had a THR a few weeks ago and will have her second one in February. We had a great talk and compared notes. I gave her the info about BoneSmart and told her what great info and support there is to be found here. I hope she comes and checks it out.
It's a gorgeous day here...very mild and sunny with lots of melting going on. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Perimenopause is intense. I understand. I actually felt bad for posting that story about my ex on your thread. It was pretty shocking. Oh well. Most people have no idea. The woman you met at PT sounds great. I feel like this surgery has led me to meet some incredible people. ( most of them right here on this forum!)

@Miss Muffet, When he said that it just reinforced to me that I'd made the right decision. He had good qualities, too, but I couldn't take the sarcasm.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! when I read about your ex's reaction, I have to admit I thought to myself what a huge underreaction to major surgery. You deserve someone warm and caring who will come along side you and support you when you go through major things in life like THR and recovery. Good riddance I say...there's someone better out there :yes:

@DeepBreath I hope the lady you met at PT will join us on here - the more, the merrier! :wave:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! don't you dare feel badly for sharing the ex story here! It very much underscores one of our frequent topics: not knowing the ins and outs of this journey unless you've been through it. The callousness of it was shocking. Some folks are unbelievable.
I so agree with you about meeting wonderful people throughout this process. :)

@Cynthia777, thank you, friend. Prayers flowing right back for you. :)

@Hipster Girl, me too! She is such a nice lady and I sensed the 'nobody really understands' vibe from her as she was sharing her story with me. It would be great to add a new hippie buddy to the forum. :)
I hope your day is going great!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom