THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DeepBreath just getting ready for work and wanted to pop in here and see how you're doing. I too have read some startling things about Tramadol withdrawals so I'm relieved for you that the withdrawals are pretty much over for you. Very happy to hear that!

So glad your PT continues to go well. I still haven't called to set up mine. There is so much going on at work right now that I don't know when I would have time to go to the appointments, but I know I need to call soon to get it set up. You are making such great progress and your posts about your PT always inspire me.

Gosh, that chili in front of a warm fire while the cold wind howls outside sounds wonderful! I love comfort food during the winter months. I so agree on the warm home and good food. So thankful!
 
@deepbrath,@bettifloss ,@CricketHip
Weil first morning post surgey! Wow @ the moment tired but no pain ,
Dr said the ball on my femur was crumbled and a mess, explains the severe pain will limp over gratefully the post surgery " other side" today!
Thx for all your support
 
@DeepBreath - Sounds like you are making fabulous progress with your recovery lately! Very inspiring to read. Must feel amazing to drive again. Your PT sounds wonderful - and rare - I've never gotten any sort of hands on massage with typical PT. You'd think it would be an important part of physical healing. I am feeling much better after my 4 days in nausea hell. I'm back on my THR recovery path. Wishing you continued beautiful progress and a great day! :SUNsmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, howdy! You're a sweetie for checking in on me. I think I really I freaked myself out by Googling Tramadol withdrawal symptoms. Luckily for me, I did fine. I still do plan to speak with my OS about it though since somebody who had been on Tramadol longer and on a greater dosage might not have fared as well. Reading about the possibility of seizures was especially frightening. I think it's something he needs to think about.
Re: scheduling your PT - this is just my opinion, but I think giving it a bit of time, post surgery, is a good thing. My most recent op hip is doing good, but honestly my first op hip is doing the best where muscle pain and range of motion are concerned. In a 'perfect' scenario, based on my experience, I think waiting until the last op hip is at least 12 weeks out before diving into the PT would be best. I'm not sorry I started when I did because my PT people are great, but the difference in the tolerance between the two hips is marked. I'd say you're actually on a good timeline.
I am so sorry that I haven't asked how things are going at work. I would imagine that things are winding down at your company. How is that going and how are you doing with it? I'll be sending good thoughts your way as you search for a new position. *Hugs*

@geneva, how wonderful to hear from you! I'm so glad you're on this side now. I'll be looking for your recovery thread and sending continued good thoughts out for you. :)

@Readysetgo, hello! :) I am SO glad that you're feeling better! Nausea is just no fun. You have so much on your hands just dealing with those first few days post op anyway, and then to heap sickness on top of it...blech! I hope you continue to feel good and that your recovery is wonderful! Yes, I am very pleased with my PT people. They are so kind and really listen to me. I feel like they are very knowledgeable and apply that to their patients to tailor a PT plan for each individual.
I had not expected the massage, but boy am I liking it. I do my warm up, then my exercises, and then my PT stretches me out and does the massage. Afterwards, everything just feels so great and loose. I agree that it is an important part of the treatment process.
Thank you for the kind words and I hope you enjoy your day as well. Take good care of yourself! :flwrysmile:



Some friends of ours will be dropping by this evening and we are so excited to see them. The fellow is someone my husband has known since the beginning of his military career, so close to 25 years. He (our friend) is recently retired and they are just returning from Germany and are traveling home to settle into civilian life. They were stationed where we were in Germany and our tours overlapped by several months, which was wonderful. It will be so good to see them again after almost an entire year. :)
They have dinner plans and will be coming by afterwards. I'm thinking of making another puff pastry/chocolate braid to serve with coffee. YUM!
 
@DeepBreath thanks for your note of encouragement, read your thread from beginning to recent and learned so much! I too read the rather scary posts about Tramedol and other pain meds and had same concerns . Glad you were successful in getting off that track! First day in recovery is going awesome until the asked me to walk,
Almost blacked out from low blood pressure, and new leg being pretty dead weight.
Hope this afternoon is better!
 
@Readysetgo thanks for your thoughts.....good day so far......just super weak...but no pain which is a huge treat
After so many agonizing months....
 
@geneva - May those agonizing months stay in the past where they belong! Glad you're having a good day so far. Rest up and let your body heal. You'll get stronger with every day. :SUNsmile:
 
@geneva, I am tickled pink to read that you're now on the other side and doing great. :yes!:
I hear you about walking those first couple of times. I felt very woozy at the beginning as well. Your poor body has been through SO much; it's no wonder it struggles a bit at first. It's amazing how quickly it rebounds though.
Yaay for no more hip pain! Things will get easier and easier as time goes on.
SO happy for you!

@Readysetgo, I am so looking forward to this evening (and the yummy dessert :wink:). :)
I hope your day is going great. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath! Just caught up with your thread and am very happy to hear you did not suffer from any withdrawal issues. Sounds like you are doing just marvelously and beginning to enjoy your independence. Have a wonderful visit with your friends.
BTW...the pic of that pastry you made looks absolutely decadent!!!!!
 
@DeepBreath thanks for your encouraging words! Yes woozy is a good word for it . I can only walk about 10 ft before feeling like I'll black out. So dr is considering a blood transfusion. My blood pressure is low as is the red blood count........but all is getting better every hour.....just slowly. Patience rules!
 
Hi, @Nana757 :) I am sooo happy that stopping the Tramadol didn't bring about horrible symptoms. The only lingering blip is some insomnia, but Melatonin is taking care of that.
The dessert is really easy and so good. If you'd like the recipe, give me a holler. :) I've been brainstorming ways to add goodies to it. I think I'll try a mint chocolate, as well as a raspberry one in the near future. Darn...sounds like lots of taste testing I'll have to do. :wink:
I hope you're doing good. Boy, the rain is really coming down out there this evening. Looks like this coming week could get really chilly. Perhaps we'll see some snow again this winter. :)

@geneva, I'm sorry to hear about the low blood pressure and count. I've read quite a few people's threads who had the same issues. It gets sorted in short order, but dealing with it isn't fun, I'm sure.
I'm sending good vibes your way that it all smooths out quickly. You have a great, positive attitude and that is a huge plus! Keep up the great work. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath thank you, that is really encouraging what you said about me being on target with the timeline for PT and it being okay to not start until the most recent op hip is at least 12 weeks. I was getting concerned about not starting it yet but quite frankly I don't have the energy when I get home from work.

It's not the work itself that is wiping me out because I did great the entire month of December when it was quiet and lots of people out for the holidays and vacation, but now things are kicking into high gear for the people who are relocating or retiring or otherwise leaving the company, and it is madness around there, with trying to wrap things up and packing and those in other departments who are staying moving into the offices that are being vacated. Offices are being moved and cubicles being built and it is loud and utter chaos, and at the end of the day I am exhausted and totally stressed.

There is more to it but I will update my thread rather than use your thread to vent but I will just end here by saying like you had the one difficult roommate, well I have one difficult co-worker that I am contending with and I am just trying to stay calm and bear with it knowing I only have to deal with her for a couple more months.

How was the visit with your friends? They are returning to the US for good now that he is retired? Will they be moving to Virginia? I'm sure it was wonderful to see them again - I hope your reunion with them was fabulous! :flwrysmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, it sounds like you have plenty on your plate right now as it is. I honestly don't think it's a 'make or break' deal if you can't start PT for a bit. Like we have read here on the forum time after time; walking truly is the best exercise for us healing hippies. From your thread it sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise as it is. When you're ready to do the PT it will be there waiting for you and I think you'll really enjoy it. :)
I'm not going to lie, the chaotic atmosphere at your job does sound exhausting. I don't do well with noise and mayhem. I hope it isn't like this for you for too long, and I hope you are doing something positive for yourself to balance out the stress at work. The mental stuff is every bit as important as the physical stuff. No wonder you've had a bit of a setback. This isn't forever though! I'll be sending good thoughts that the crazy stuff tapers off soon.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to see our friends the other evening. The fella that my husband has known for so many years came down with a nasty stomach bug, on top of a long transatlantic flight, jet lag, etc and they called and opted out of our evening together. We were sad to hear our buddy wasn't feeling well, but certainly understood.
Yes, they are moving back to the US permanently and will be settling in South Carolina, where he is from originally. It's just a few hours away, so we'll definitely make it a point to go see them. This couple is definitely part of our 'family you make for yourself', so we'll be keeping in close touch. :)

Hang in there, friend. Sending tons of good thoughts out for you over these next few months. :SUNsmile:
 
I wanted to share one of those delightful recovery 'leaps' that occur throughout this journey. I have walked with a limp for much of my life and it has gotten progressively worse in the past few years. Part of my brain has always questioned if I could ever walk without a limp again, although that was certainly my hope to lose the limp. Just being free of the awful pain of the osteoarthritis is so amazing that I haven't really stressed about my gait that much.
I've been dedicated to doing my PT exercises often, always keeping in mind what my OS and PT have told me about my muscles being weak and needing to work them in order to overcome the limp, ROM limitations, and flexibility challenges.
As so often seems to happen on this journey, I had a a breakthrough moment today. More and more I have been walking without my cane because sometimes it's just easier to get where I'm going without it.
I was doing that today and realized that my gait felt really good. Much smoother than just a couple of weeks ago actually. My husband noticed and said, "Look at you zipping around without your cane!" When I asked how my limp looked he said, "It's just very slight. I can't believe the difference."
It was a nice thing to feel on my own and to hear from him. It's not all the time...I still have tired phases and times when my muscles feel achy, but it's so encouraging to know that at just 16 and 8 weeks post op I am seeing really definite progress in my quest to walk smoothly. It put a big smile on my face! :)
 
I'm so happy to hear that @DeepBreath! I know how exhilarating those moments can be when you suddenly realize the amount of progress that's been made. Woo hoo!

Thanks for the kind words on my job situation. It was just really getting to me big time last week but I know it will be over soon and it was nice to have the weekend reprieve, although I did spend much of the weekend updating my resume. It's so hard to condense decades worth of experience into the 1 or 2 recommended pages for a resume so that's been my challenge and so far I am at 2.5 pages, so I have a ways to go....maybe smaller font, ha

That's too bad about your friend getting sick and not being able to visit the other night. That must have been miserable to be sick on top of such a long flight and jet lag. That's exciting that they will be living only a few hours from you and you will have lots of future visits to look forward to. It sounds like you are very close with them and it must feel wonderful to have them back in the states. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I just caught up with your thread. I'm so happy to hear that you have healed that limp. That's a big a accomplishment. All of your hard work is paying off...I didn't realize you had been limping for most of your life.

That dessert looks delicious! The chili sounds really good, also. I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking, too. It's fun to be bustling in the kitchen at this time of year. I love the way it makes the house smell.

It sounds like you are sending positive messages to your body, with your gradual progression of exercise and healing. I think the subconscious mind plays a big part in how we recover. You are smart not to push things too quickly or suddenly.
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm glad you had the weekend to breathe and reboot. I like the smaller font idea for your resume. All that info just proves the value you would bring to any organization!
I hope this week goes better for you. Perhaps you won't have to be thrown in with Attention Seeker as much (fingers crossed).
I felt so badly for our friend. That flight from Germany can be brutal and then to deal with traveling by car, sometimes for hundreds of miles, stinks. I am glad we'll be able to see them when they get settled. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! It does feel good to see and feel those improvements. I'm not there 100% yet as I still limp most of the time, but it is getting much better and that gives me great hope. :)
You inspired me a lot with your way of approaching healing. The emotional aspects as well as the physical...all of it is so important.
It is wonderful weather for cooking and baking, isn't it? I so enjoy that in the winter. It's cozy and makes me happy.
You are so right about the wonderful way the house smells when you've got things bubbling on the stove or baking in the oven. :)
How is the show stuff going? Also, how is the knitting coming along? I imagine you working on lovely, soft projects in between auditions and such. :)
 
You are such a dear person, @DeepBreath, you deserve every breakthrough that comes your way. I can just picture you grinning from ear to ear!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom