THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thanks for sharing your feelings about your ex's responses to your sharing stuff with him. This is a wonderful place to share commiserate, as too often, most of us try to keep our challenges or hurt feeling to ourselves.......when especially after a major surgery like this: that has had so much pain, lifestyle changes, self esteem and physical and self image challenges surrounding getting to the point of THR....we need to share to help process it and get to a place of recovery and healing in a positive way! Unless somebody has been through this, or something as equally challengin they likely are ot going to be as empathetic, encouraging, or uplifting as we can hope for or need! Your sharing that halp me tolook at my own situation differently as well......
@Hipster Girl , @DeepBreath , can you let me know how long you participated in outpatient PT, and how many times per week? Im also noticing that the area arond my surgery site is now getting pretty hardened near the surface and feeling pretty still.....even tho I doing all the hip stretches and strengthening stuff......
is massaging that area helpful, or using oils to soften or minimize the scaring helpful ? Tx I looked through your threads and did ot see mention of this?
 
Hi @geneva, I actually haven't started outpatient PT yet. I was prescribed it for 2-3 times per week for about 4 weeks but I have too much else going on right now that I won't be starting until April. In the meantime, I am back at work full-time and I go to the gym twice a week for the weight machines and some cardio, so that's enough for me right now.

By the incision feeling hardened, do you mean numb? If so, several of us are experiencing that. I think we talked about it over in @Hip Hip Hooray! 's thread. I haven't had any of the massaging yet but I know @DeepBreath has had some as part of her outpatient PT.

For the scarring, I was told at my 4-week post op visit that I could start using Vitamin E oil so I have some capsules and cut them open and apply the oil to the incision site after my shower. It seems to be helping.

Have a great day everyone! :)
 
@geneva, I absolutely agree with you about how valuable it is to be able to get our feelings out here. We can understand what our fellow hippies are going through and the understanding and support is wonderful. :)
As far as the out patient PT goes, I started the 3rd week in December. I was 4 weeks post op at that point.
My OS prescribed me going three times per week, but twice a week works best for me. In addition to the out patient PT I do the exercises they've given me once daily at home. I also walk on our treadmill here at home a couple of times a week and walk outside as weather and time allows. I am learning to listen to my body because it's easy to overdo things in these early days and get the muscle aches going.
As far as how long I will participate in out patient PT; that remains to be seen. My current referral goes until February 19th, which would be 8 weeks in total. I go back to my OS for a check up at the end of February and I assume he will then evaluate me to see if I need more PT. I might, actually...not necessarily because of the surgery itself, but because I've had issues with my hips since birth and need help overcoming the bad habits I've learned over the years.
Like @Hipster Girl, I was told at 4 weeks out that I could start massaging my incision area with Vitamin E oil. I know I have a hard ridge on both my incision lines that makes it uncomfortable for me to lay on my sides.
Another member here who does massage recommended a roller that can be used to break up that tissue. I keep meaning to purchase the roller and get started, but just haven't yet.

I hope everybody is having a good day. :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! don't you dare feel badly for sharing the ex story here! It very much underscores one of our frequent topics: not knowing the ins and outs of this journey unless you've been through it. The callousness of it was shocking. Some folks are unbelievable.
I so agree with you about meeting wonderful people throughout this process. :)

Thanks @DeepBreath. Having my hips done has made me much more aware of sending people cards and calling them when they are hospitalized. It really makes a difference. I like talking to my dad about it, because his mom had both her hips done. He knows a lot of people at his bridge club who have had their hips replaced, too. He also studied the before and after xrays, and noticed certain things that I didn't realize. He pointed out the possibility of what could happen to the femur. I remember when you had trouble with yours. You can really see why, when you look at what they do. (all of that drilling several inches down the leg.)
 
@DeepBreath
:hi:
I hope you are feeling more like yourself today. I'm gonna have to try the pork chop recipe of @Cynthia777's. I do a lot of baked pork chops, ribs, etc with either BBQ sauce or duck sauce. Hubby loves them. I usually serve them up with zataran's Caribbean rice. Darn...I'm getting hungry now...snack time!!!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! That's a very good point about remembering to send cards and acknowledging when people are hospitalized/sick. I know the effort of dear friends who did that for me meant the world.
You're not kidding about the hardware that goes into our THR's. I was shocked when I saw my x-rays. I think it was the screws that caught my attention mainly.
I hope you're having a terrific day and that your weekend looks bright and pleasant. :)

@Nana757, hello friend. :) Yes, I am feeling more like myself the past couple of days. I've made it a point to get out of the house and do things and that's helped. I had a great PT session yesterday. They introduced a new exercise that really worked my quad muscles and during the massage my therapist said that she could tell a difference in my thigh muscles. She said they are really starting to loosen up. Yaay!
I hope you're doing great. Is the golfing excursion this weekend? :)
 
Hi Deep!!! hello!! I fell off the face of the earth for a bit. So, I tried to go to full time at my work and it kicked back at me a bit.. :heehee: I mean, jeesh! Couldn't it have been a gentle push?? the exhaustion and stiffness was pretty lousy but lucky for me that my "boss" is understanding and I backed it off a bit. So I am feeling better and more rested again.
I wanted to comment on the scissoring. Now, I am not a Phys. Therapist but I do know my anatomy and the perk of that is that I also have had a hip replaced so I "get it" I am not scissoring but I know what you are feeling,, it's the adductors and they are weak and in my case, made me feel like my legs were pinched inwards when walking.. so, last weak I re thought my situation and decided to return to the walk that I practiced after surgery.. I call it the figure 8 walk. Meaning to walk forward and use my hips and leg muscles so I can move my hips in a nice figure 8 movement. Kind of like a Marilun Monroe sexy walk.. :loll:

Did you get a lot of snow?? We ended up with 24 inches. And of course it was on my birthday so as usual any birthday plans were canceled.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope to catch up on your thread later but did see that your progress with walking is going really well... so proud of you!
 
@DeepBreath
It is great that your PT gal massages that muscle and it is finally loosening up. When I was going to PT, it was like pulling teeth to get mine massaged. But,when I did get one, it felt so so good. Our vacation isn't until the 24tn and cannot wait. Looks like we will be extending our vacation a week so we can stop in Hilton head for a family member's wedding. Darn the bad luck...:heehee:...
Hope you have a wonderful day.
 
@DeepBreath - yay for you feeling better! Good to hear your quads are loosening up, too. You are SO lucky your PT does massage for you. It can be so healing! I've been getting PT at home and it's good. But at the end of a session I do wish I could get at least a little hands on help with stretching or a 5 minute massage of the muscles. Don't think it's a lot to ask after I've been doing all the work during the session while she watches. Hey @Nana757 - what exactly did you say or do (besides "pulling teeth" :heehee:) to get a massage with your PT? I will be starting outpatient PT in 2 weeks and thinking maybe there's a way to mention I would like some massage as well if possible there... (I will also book a massage at some point but will pay for it out of pocket.)
 
@DeepBreath- I get no massaging from my PT either! huh! I can work on mine, myself but would like some help with it occasionally.. ;) you are a lucky ducky!
 
@CricketHip, hello there, friend! I am so sorry to hear that you got some get back from going back full time. It is incredible how taking on more can really kick our booties. It's challenging finding that balance.
I'm glad you're feeling better and that your boss is understanding. Please take good care of yourself. :)
Thank you for your input about the scissor gait. I trust your knowledge about anatomy. I would like to bend your ear (eyes? LOL) about the figure 8 walk. Color me intrigued. Basically, what you said about my gait is what my PT told me as well...abductors as well as muscle memory.
We only got about 6 inches of snow altogether, but it rained in between bouts of snow and we got a pretty good layer of ice. Thankfully, it's all gone now.
OH NO about the 24 inches (Holy Cow!) and it messing up your birthday. I sure hope you get to make that up.
Wow, that is a lot of snow, friend. Yikes!
Take good care of yourself. *Hugs*

@Nana757, I really feel like I hit the jackpot with this PT. I love the stretching and massage she does at the end of each session. I have to smile because she is a tiny thing, but doggone if she doesn't get in there and massage the heck out of those muscles. Her PTA, who is the sweetest girl in the world and makes me laugh, has a light, comforting touch, which is wonderful. I do find that I prefer the PT's 'get in there and wrangle those muscles' approach though. :)
Weeee about the upcoming golf trip! How 'terrible' that you'll have to stop by Hilton Head though. I'm so sorry and I hope you can get through that okay. :)
Have a terrific day and weekend, friend!

@Readysetgo, I hope you get an out patient PT who does do the massage. You're so right that it is healing.
How are you feeling? You're almost a one month hippie!! I hope you're feeling great. :)
 
I know....The Hilton Head stop is really going to put a damper on our trip....NOT!!!!!! Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and we can get in a couple of rounds while we're there.
Yes, your PT gal sounds like a dream. And, you so deserve those healing hands. :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! That's a very good point about remembering to send cards and acknowledging when people are hospitalized/sick. I know the effort of dear friends who did that for me meant the world.
You're not kidding about the hardware that goes into our THR's. I was shocked when I saw my x-rays. I think it was the screws that caught my attention mainly.
I hope you're having a terrific day and that your weekend looks bright and pleasant. :)

Hi@DeepBreath, Same here. My brother and and a few friends called me when I was in the hospital. That was a nice surprise. It helped to talk on the phone.

Oh, you have screws. I don't, but I've seen those on some of the xrays posted here. It's pretty wild. Hope you are enjoying your weekend, too. Take care...
 
Hi @DeepBreath, glad the ice is gone now - it is scary to walk in those slippery conditions with our new hips. Dry pavement is our friend these days. :yes:

That is interesting what your PT said about your gait issue being caused by muscle memory and abductors. That sure makes sense. I always get the abductor & adductor confused - which one is which?
@CricketHip Happy (belated??) birthday!! Hope it was happy and hippy, ha! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Hipster Girl ! I'm still celebrating it. Cards are still arriving, I like a drawn out celebration. :curtsey:
Adductor muscles bring the limb closer to the midline of the body.
Abductors bring the limb away from the body. For my exams I used to try and remember that the adductor's "add" to the body. Lol
So the hip adductor's are the inner thigh muscles.
I need to run over and read your thread! So much to catch up on!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, I saw the screws in the x-rays and thought, "Yikes! I look like an ad for Ace Hardware". LOL!

@Hipster Girl, amen about the dry pavement! We have tons of that this weekend. It's lovely here. All the windows are thrown wide open. :) I hope you're enjoying a restful weekend.
In addition to the abductors and muscle memory, I think my weak core has something to do with my gait as well. I haven't been able to do Pilates for quite some time and I really need that to keep my core strong. I'm hoping I can begin a scaled back version of my beginner workout in the next couple of weeks.

I've gone without my cane all weekend! By the end of the evening I'm a bit tired and I notice my limp is more pronounced, but there is no pain. I figure I need to get used to not using the cane. I think I've been using it as a crutch. :wink::heehee:
 
@DeepBreath I think you might be onto something about a strong core. It's hard to do any traditional core exercises while maintaining our restrictions but there is one PT exercise I was shown where you lay on your back with knees bent, tighten stomach and slowly raise right leg 10" from floor while keeping trunk rigid. Hold 5 seconds. Repeat and alternate with left leg. This is for trunk stability and I noticed I felt it in my abs. I'm not sure if I explained that very well but it's called a Bent Leg Lift (Hook-Lying). Just an idea...

Woo hoo that you have gone without your cane all weekend!! When I first started going without mine, my limp was more pronounced in the evening too, but that gradually lessened. I am so excited for you - that is an amazing milestone!:dancy::yay::yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom