TKR Debbie1954

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine, I am out in CA by my son and I was helping plant some flowers. My big toe on my knee replacement leg had been sore from what I thought was some new walking shoes. Not sore enough to stop me though. I had polish on it so really couldn't see anything (I know, should have taken the polish off). It was a bit black and blue below the nail bed. Today while planting flowers I lifted a big bag of potting soil and it dragged across my foot and I felt pain. Looked down and it had ripped half the nail off. Not top to bottom, but ripped it from left to about the middle of the big toe as much as I can tell. I didn't want to see how far it ripped off. It does not hurt at all so that makes me think that it was damaged before I did that today. DIL wants me to go to the ER to have the rest of it removed. I cleaned it and put a big bandage over it so I don't catch the nail. Do I need to worry about this? What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance.

Deb is that the same toe nail that you clipped a while ago and it bled, which worried you about infection?

yes it is Jacky, but no need to worry now, I went to a brand new walk in clinic and doc checked it and it was 85% ripped off and he said it had to come off. Although he did talk about pushing it back in, but then said it wouldn't take anyway. So a bunch of shots to numb it and off it came. I was joking with the doc and his assistant and when he took the nail off I said, "where's my purse, I need a picture" He actually gave me my purse so I could take a picture. I won't post it unless you want to see it...LOL

Debbie_joints I think you should have the toe properly cleaned and dressed and maybe even have a short course of antibiotics but don't worry about it on account of your implants.

I also cropped and reduced the size of your photo which was 1,400+ pixels wide. Please keep your photos to 400 or 500 pixels wide. She a beauty btw!

Debbie_joints I think you should have the toe properly cleaned and dressed and maybe even have a short course of antibiotics but don't worry about it on account of your implants.

I also cropped and reduced the size of your photo which was 1,400+ pixels wide. Please keep your photos to 400 or 500 pixels wide. She a beauty btw!
I was wondering the same thing Josephine, if I needed some antibiotics. I do have some along that we picked up in Mexico. I have one Z Pack and I have a bottle of Ampicillian or Amoxicillan not sure which. I would call my surgeon's office but they are closed on weekends. Will it be ok to wait until Monday to call? I am sure they have an emergency number, didn't know if this is an emergency seeing I went to the walk in clinic now and got the toenail taken care of. Thanks

It's entirely up to you if you want to start off with some you already have and then contact your GP tomorrow.

Deb, I saw that you got your toenail taken care of, and you even took a picture! :heehee: Since you took a picture you might as well share it my friend, giving it its moment of fame! :)

Oooh, think I'll give looking at the photo a miss :heehee:

Many congratulations, Debbie, on your birth of your beautiful granddaughter, Abigail. She is a real beaut. What joy our grandkids bring us, aye :happydance:

I have a call into my surgeon's office now to see if he wants me on antibiotics. It was a little painful last night, but as long as I keep up with my regular Tramadol for my arthritis it has been ok.

DEbbie,
I haven't been on here much since my surgery and just got caught up a bit on your thread. What a beautiful granddaughter you have there, hope you are enjoying your time wiht her. Sorry to hear about your toe hope it comes along okay for you.

Jacky, the toe is doing well. Called the surgeon and he said I didn't have to go on any meds. Just keep it clean and padded for awhile. Thanks for checking on me. Been busy with Dave out here in CA too.

Hi Debbie and friends
Your new g-baby is beautiful! Sure sorry about that toe! I will go check out the photo.
Glad you are doing so well!
M

WooHoo, toe is better and got my shoe on and Dave and I took the dogs for a walk. No pressure so all looks well. Have to share my grandkids with you. I am going to hate going home. But Eli is coming the beginning of May again, so Grandma better stay on her toes.
Grandma, Eli and Abigail.jpg

Aaah bless, that is such a lovely photo, Debbie. The proud Grandma with her two beeeauuutiful grandchildren :flwrysmile:

Whoa Deb, it's been a long time since we've heard from you my friend! I know you must feel disconnected after getting back home, however you must feel the love that was surrounding you throughout you wonderful trip! I know how you feel because that's how I felt when we got home from our daughter's house in Florida last November! Life gets hard at times, but we do have our wonderful memories, as I tear up!

Jacky48, I think when members post less it means that their knees aren't giving them so much trouble and they are getting on more with their normal lives. Which obviously is the best thing, but it means that the rest of us don't get to hear from them so often and we miss them, as we consider them friends. Do you think?

Hope you're okay, Debbie, I'm sure you are :flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back