Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dearjr's new knee

@Gojennygo thanks for the encouragement. Yes it is a big difference from a month ago and hopefully better in another month
I hope we continue to have patience and get better

@jmdearras i wish I could wear shorts at work:loll:
:loll:But I can't. I now put on a compression sleeve and it helps. How far out are you ?

@susie09 happy new year to you too!
What kind of athlete are you?
Although not an athlete I was a runner. But now I will become a walker. I hope!
I agree with pt also and have cut down to a pool session and some light stuff My os said I should get up to 120
Or 125 which is fine for me
I think patience is the key. I'm only 8 1/2 weeks out
 
@jmdearras and how is your knee holding up?
very well, overall. little to no pain, I take tylenol at night, but nothing otherwise. Still 6 degrees short of straight, 126 flex. knee is hot, and I get swelling by the end of the day, but in the morning, it's gone. both legs get muscle tired, I was not moving too much before, that's what the nighttime tylenol is for. I'm trying to build stamina for the State Fair Sunday after this one, with my son and grandson!
 
I am blessed in that I always have healed fast. I really did not expect it with the knee surgery, but it seems to be so for it, too.
 
Checking in with you fellow tkr's
How's everyone doing
Today is 9 weeks
Numbness a little better and less sensitive at night
Sleeping about 3 hours straight now!

Up and down stairs alternating.
Riding exercise bike daily for 15 mins at minimal resistance. Seems it helps knee get looser

Started to use compression sleeve during work hours....really leaves funky indentations in area! Looks like I have a small kneecap!
Swelling changing. Seems less. Although subjective.
Ran on treadmill this week......don't get upset.....it was in pool!
I was in heaven because I haven't run for over 4 years!

Going bike riding later outside. Looking forward to a restful weekend
Hope you all have one too!:loll::loll:
 
Hi JR,

I will be 10 weeks on Monday. I have ridden my bike outside five times now (longest ride 4 miles), and I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes yesterday. Little to no swelling. Some pain, so still on Tylenol Extra Strength three times a day. I walk three times a day, anywhere between 0.25 and 0.7 miles at a crack. I think I could finally "run across the street" if a car were coming, but sure hope I don't have to.

I know I'm doing well, but still find it frustrating that I'm not further along than I am. Hoping that the 3-month mark is significant. And still I ponder everyday whether inactivity makes my knee stiff or overactivity. I cut back and it is stiff, and I pick up the pace and it is stiff.

Sounds like you are doing better. I'm done with PT, too. My OS told me to quit and find activities that were shall we say more fun (walking, biking, etc.).
 
Just finished my first outside bike ride. 15 mins. My new knee was great. :hugzz:My old left knee was trying to decide if it was good too...in the end it was good!

It was hard to stand and pedal but sitting was fine
Some mild swelling after but loose

A friend of mine put in kinesiology tape on my knee to help swelling. Anyone ever use it?
Does it help?

@Wanttobebiking i'm glad you doing well. But what did you mean you wanted to be further along. My pt at this point of 9 weeks says my strength and flexion of 115 are good for this stage. Goal is 120 she said. Then I turned to her and said why?..I can start to do things now I couldn't do for the last two years!
As for crossing while running I'll wait a while for that
 
Hi JR,

Congrats on getting outside on your bike. If you are standing to pedal though you need to change to an easier gear. Referee said to keep RPMs around 80-90. Go easy. My longest ride post-op was 4 miles.

I was active right up to the day before surgery. Did a 12 mile bike ride the weekend before. I still am not back to that level. And I don't like how my knee feels yet but that's getting better too I guess.

My incision is still sensitive too. I expect this to all improve but as we know it can be slow.

To wrap it up I guess I wish I was just back to normal in terms of stamina, endurance, and knee feel. My garde 4 osteoarthritis symptoms were pain, but not debilitating, and lots of locking and buckling. Still have some pain but of course the bucking and locking are gone. Just now starting to think that surgery was a good idea.

My ROM is about 13o and 0, about what it was pre-op. My OS says the implant will cap it at 137, which is really good to know so I don't shoot for 140.

Glad you are doing better.
 
@Wanttobebiking thats what all have said here: it could take 6 months to a year till our knees feel normal. I think the most annoying thing is the sensation over the knee cap even more than my swelling
Keep up the good work! My knee flexes to 115and 2 now and was only 85 before surgery. Still getting some minor buckling daily though !
 
@Dearjr, I'm a couple of months behind you and I really appreciate your postings.
 
I had LTKR last Tuesday, September 15.

I am doing so much better than I had anticipated. I am primarily in my recliner elevating and icing at this point. I had initial OP PT last Friday when they measured flexion at 80 and extension at 0. I am using the CPM machine set at 90 degrees and taking mini-walks inside the house.

My RX is for Norco every 6 hours. Several times I have not been able to stick to that schedule and took meds at 4 or 5 hours.
 
The pain meds are important to take. I took them every 4 hours but after 1st week I used them just at night for 2 weeks
Just keep icing and moving. At the beginning the improvements feel like they come every few days but after a few months they come slower. But they do come!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your flex being 45 degrees better than it was pre-op! That must feel great. I went for a 6-mile bike ride yesterday, then out to dinner and to a play last night and my knee is not swollen today and I have not yet taken Tylenol. So I am feeling better today about endurance. I need to just stop focusing on the knee feel.
 
I do feel great about the things I could do now that I wasn't able to before. Like tying my shoe putting my leg in my pants instead of sliding it in etc
The journey is still evolving with the knee still feeling like its there. Instead of invisible. That's the day we long for

Yesterday I uncluttered my treadmill set it at 3 and walked 10 mins. Some mild swelling after and quad tender in an
Anyone ever try kinesiology tape? Does it work?
Hope to bike ride with wife today on Boardwalk. It's 4.4 miles. Hope to make it!
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom