TKR Dearjr's new knee

@referee54 thanks
My os said I should continue pt for at least a month

I'm
Between a rock and a hard place
 
@referee54 thanks
My os said I should continue pt for at least a month

I'm
Between a rock and a hard place

Hi,
I feel the same as you, exactly!

Such confusion regarding PT...everyone on this board says stop, relax, don't do anything.

Your doc tells you to do PT.

You and I have close surgery times, you are 2 weeks ahead of me. When I DO stop PT and just walk around the house doing normal stuff, I feel better. I think that is the "listening to your knee" that people keep telling us to do.

Then, I will feel oretty good and think, okay, I'll do some gentle PT today, or go for a bit of a walk. But, I pay a big price that night and the next day.

Something that comforts me about NOT doing PT is that my dad had 3 knees done and refused to do ANY PT, and he was fine. Regained full use each time.

I think we are rushing things and need more PATIENCE!!!:idea:
 
My os said I should continue pt for at least a month
If you did not return to work, I would agree---but, since you have rturned to work so early, PT right now will overtax your knee---you made a choice to go back to work---one probably out of necessity and sick days. Since you did that, PT is overdoing things.

If you were at home, then PT would be OK.
 
@Gojennygo it seems on the days of no pt and icing I get the same swelling. But that probably is from work. I might compromise and do 2 more weeks of pt then see what happens if I take a vacation Now I go once to pool therapy and twice on land
 
@Gojennygo it seems on the days of no pt and icing I get the same swelling. But that probably is from work. I might compromise and do 2 more weeks of pt then see what happens if I take a vacation Now I go once to pool therapy and twice on land

Good morning,
I had abdominal surgery 3 years ago and last night I remembered how very long it took for that swelling to fully go away. You'd think I would have thought of it before this, but at least I remembered!
If I remember correctly, you are a pediatrician, so you know better than most how each patient is different....and so are we!
Maybe you and I (and many others) tend to have more swelling. As long as you are able to get up out of bed, walk around and work all day without being in misery, great. But, I think slowing way down, doing less PT, at least for a while might help you, as it has helped me.
Have a great day!
 
maybe your father who had 3 knees was able to do things he wanted to do or just live without pain. But maybe we are looking for a little more
What "more" are you looking for?

I can pretty much guarantee that you will be able to do what you want to do when you are fully recovered.

You cannot speed up the recovery---so what is this "more" that you write of?
it seems on the days of no pt and icing I get the same swelling. But that probably is from work
Yep.
 
at this point it is common to have swelling no matter what you're doing. Just being at work makes the knee unhappy. It is trying to heal and is easily aggravated. I was lucky and returned to work at 12 weeks and I can tell you my knees weren't happy with me being on my feet for any length of time.

The other thing with the recovery is that you won't notice a lot of difference day to day, but you will week to week. It may take a few days of giving the knee a break for you to notice it being less cranky.

I think you'd be ok doing a few (like 5) heel slides or 5 minutes on the exercise bike to loosen up--if you find that it does help you loosen up, but no more.

I had the buckling sensation with my first knee and it resolved over a period of time, without lots of exercise.

Slow and steady and the muscles will come back. hang in there.
 
@kneeper the bike does help and it's reasuring to hear the buckling is normal and that just by standing the knee swells. I tried making a deal with it but it didn't listen

I certainly agree that day by day is hard to tell difference. Tomorrow I'm 8 weeks and can tell a big difference from 4 or even 6 weeks

With the Jewish holidays coming up I'll have off for 3 days and will be doing nothing but sitting and praying....of course for a fully recovered knee!
 
Just a hopeful note for you - my knee slightly buckled today and if surprised me because it had not happened in several days and I had forgotten about it! Hope it goes away soon for you too.
 
Just woke up. 8 weeks today
Finally slept for 4 hours straight ...at least I think I did! Went to bed 1235 and saw click then said 450

Before even getting out of bed knee has some swelling. Still sensutive on one side of knee cap and numb on other side
Blanket moving over it gives a strange uncomfortable feeling
Hope all have a nice weekend

@Slainte how are you doing with your recovery?
 
I am doing great, thanks. Thanks to Tylenol PM I have gotten three straight good nights of sleep. I take it easy, and have no pain. My energy level hits a wall every day, but is gradually getting later. I am blessed. Three weeks until my other knee gets replaced.
 
@Dearjr - please stop worrying about your swelling. It's an entirely normal reaction to major surgery and the stresses imposed on your knee by resuming work earlier than your knee likes.

The swelling is going to linger for quite a while - possibly even months. It won''t disappear overnight, as one night of resting is not long enough to do permanent good.
 
@Dearjr - Recovery journeys aren't cookie cutter identical, but some things seem to be common for many of us.

My L TKR was 15 weeks ago yesterday, and I still have swelling 24/7, pain, 10" x 4" long totally numb swath on left side of knee, and scar sensitivity and pain (which is why I'm living in shorts). I take a Norco and melatonin at bedtime and now can sleep almost 5 hours most nights. Even though I've had some setbacks after a strong first 2-1/2 months, I still wholeheartedly advocate for this journey over the bone-on-bone OA that diminished the quality of my life for over two years. My OS said it could take up to 18 months to completely heal, and I'll take that any day over not having the TKR, as the pain and issues lessen during this recovery and don't increase, and I'm able to actually walk.

I am amazed that you were able to return to work so quickly after your TKR surgery, and I know that I wouldn't have been able to do that. Hopefully the parents of your patients (or patients who are old enough to understand) appreciate your passion for healing the wee ones. Enjoy your weekend of relaxation and hopefully you'll have diminishing issues as each few days pass.
 
I had my RTKR 9 weeks ago yesterday. I do still have swelling. That right knee had been swollen from the OA for so long that I don't really notice it. If I have what passes for an active day (i.e. I made my sloth-like movements a little longer than usual) then I might notice a bit of tightness when I get in or out of a car. Otherwise I don't even think about it.
 
@Celle @Widget1 thank you both for your words of encouragement. I harp on the swelling only because before I had my tkr I did not really have any pain. I only had discomfort of the limitation of moving my knee and my limp This has been replaced with the increased Flexion I get with the tkr. 115 vs 85. And the ability to walk stairs alternating and also riding a bike
The swelling has made the knee uncomfortable feeling but I know it will go away.
My work comes first and my os said it would not harm
My Flexion but would increase my swelling

I love my little kids
Have a great weekend all:cool::cool:
 
I'm 3 days behind you and experience swelling daily. I've decided ( after reading numerous posts and info articles) that this is a fact of life at this point. Like you, I had no pain prior to surgey except that the knee would lock up at random times! My OS warned me that I was a prime candidate for a fall and broken hip! I signed up for the surgey immediately. We'll get there... Patience, persistence and perseverance! My challenge this weekend will be attending my granddaughter's 5th birthday party ( at gymnastics! )! I think I shall take my cane for protection! I, too, love the wee ones, but as Grands!
 
@Dearjr, I see people are still trying relatively futilely to convince you not to do PT since you are working F/T so soon after surgery. :) Your OS wants you to do PT--but has he has TKR? People have funny ideas about what to do . . . but those with experience are telling you you will get there with time, and there is no willing it to come about, nor rushing it. Ah, well, wishing you the best.

Anyhow, since swelling is bothering you, thought I'd share that I got first-ever acupuncture yesterday for quad tendinitis. I didn't have expectations nor skepticism, just thought I might as well try it, since there's nothing else to do for swelling/pain from tendinitis except for waiting and resting. No immediate results yesterday, but woke this am with waaaaay less swelling and pain. However, it all basically came back when I went to PT and went about my day today. But, Josephine thinks acupuncture can help some of us with swelling--so thought I'd pass along this anecdotal.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom