Guest viewing is limited

THR Dave 40m post op recovery thread.

Im supposed to go to work on Monday (it’s remote and working from home) but sitting is still quite painful.
I also had a work-from-home situation after my first THR. Like you, I found sitting for long stretches very uncomfortable. I set my phone alarm every hour to make me get up and walk around the house, and then move to a different chair (or the couch) for the next hour. I used my laptop, which gave me the flexibility to change locations. If you can't move from work station, try sitting on different pillows/cushions or switch out the chair each hour or so.
 
Since you're at home keep icing while you sit.
If you went walking and feel pain at the end of the day you cracked the door to the ODIC. THR is an odd recovery in that it feels good when we're doing things so we keep going, the pain comes later or the next day. That's when we take the pain meds so we can do more of it the next day. In reality we're prolonging the recovery by straining things while they should be healing. Very hard to strike the balance and STOP before we set ourselves back. We're all in such a hurry to get back to life.
 
Since you're at home keep icing while you sit.
If you went walking and feel pain at the end of the day you cracked the door to the ODIC. THR is an odd recovery in that it feels good when we're doing things so we keep going, the pain comes later or the next day. That's when we take the pain meds so we can do more of it the next day. In reality we're prolonging the recovery by straining things while they should be healing. Very hard to strike the balance and STOP before we set ourselves back. We're all in such a hurry to get back to life.


How did you know i did this just yesterday. Pushed and did 3 walks cause i felt great. Today woke up in tremendous groin pain.

Thanks for the perspective.
 
How did you know i did this just yesterday.
Cuz he's smart, lol. :wink:
As, Eman, noted, it never hurts until we stop. Once you're feeling better, start back s-l-o-w-l-y increasing time and distance in small increments.

I found it painful to sit for long periods of time also. For months! The car was the worst, due to the confined space, seat belt position and inability to stretch much. Just as, myglasshalffull, noted it felt like I was sitting on a tennis ball, but I always described it as "the firmness of a tennis ball, the size of a golf ball." You can try sitting on a flatter ice gel pack and see if brings any relief, while forced to sit for longer periods of time.
I wish you the best...let us know how it goes.
 
How did you know i did this just yesterday.
Cuz he's smart, lol. :wink:
As, Eman, noted, it never hurts until we stop. Once you're feeling better, start back s-l-o-w-l-y increasing time and distance in small increments.

I found it painful to sit for long periods of time also. For months! The car was the worst, due to the confined space, seat belt position and inability to stretch much. Just as, myglasshalffull, noted it felt like I was sitting on a tennis ball, but I always described it as "the firmness of a tennis ball, the size of a golf ball." You can try sitting on a flatter ice gel pack and see if brings any relief, while forced to sit for longer periods of time.
I wish you the best...let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much for the kindness and levity. It’s all so overwhelming. And having the groin pain which was my main symptom worries me after my previous repair failed. I’m trying not to compare but easier said than done! Yall make it easier.
 
Actually I'm not smart, I am Experienced? And experience comes with a price, and I've paid it so others don't have to if they are smart. Sit and ice, listen to music, read, watch movies you have all of the experienced people's permission. Don't listen to the voices in your head that you're falling behind. Take 1 walk, slowly with good form, if you can do that 1 is enough for now. The ODIC is rough and if you push too hard even when you are measuring recovery in months you'll find yourself in the icing chair.
 
What does ODIC mean? I am speaking to my employer about short term disability today. Sitting is still a pain and i dont feel ready.
 
@donvito2234 ODIC = Over Did It Club. One joins when one does too much too soon after having a hip, knee or other joint replaced (or after any other surgery). NOT a club that is fun to be a member of. :nah:
 
@donvito2234 We all manage to do a stint or two on the ODIC bench as some point in recovery. Some of us (like me!) end up there regularly because we get impatient and don't listen when our bodies say STOP! :wink:

Don't be like me.
 
I think your idea of considering a short-term disability is a good idea to get you over this early recovery period. We normally tell folks to plan for 10-12 weeks before returning to work if it can be managed. Good luck!
 
You should have hope because you're only 3.5 weeks into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. I do hope you're able to get a longer break from work. :fingersx:
Hopefully your time in the ODIC is short.
Rest, Ice, Repeat :ice::thumb:

@donvito2234
 
Hip:yahoo:
Hip:egypdance:
Hooray :xmark::happydance:

I'm happy for you. I'll bet you're relieved.
@donvito2234
 
Great news about getting an extension at your work.
And we’ve all had one or more trips into the ODIC.
So you are in the learning phase of recovery. What works, what doesn’t, what causes pain, what doesn’t. This is what I mean when I say listen to your body’s cues. After a while you will reach “milestones.” You will do something without even thinking about it and realize just last week or last month you couldn’t do whatever that milestone involves.
I referred to my hip as Miss Hip.
I’d make a loose plan for my day and might get a few things accomplished on my list and then “Miss Hip” would say she’s had enough! So on the couch and on the ice. Usually within an hour or so I felt better.
And I took my patience pills daily!
I’m over 4 years into my journey and I’m back to a full life. Walking 3-6 miles per day and I just completed two rooms of spring cleaning! So you will recover! Just might need a little extra time.
We are here for you, we will be your biggest cheerleaders.
 
Great news about getting an extension at your work.
And we’ve all had one or more trips into the ODIC.
So you are in the learning phase of recovery. What works, what doesn’t, what causes pain, what doesn’t. This is what I mean when I say listen to your body’s cues. After a while you will reach “milestones.” You will do something without even thinking about it and realize just last week or last month you couldn’t do whatever that milestone involves.
I referred to my hip as Miss Hip.
I’d make a loose plan for my day and might get a few things accomplished on my list and then “Miss Hip” would say she’s had enough! So on the couch and on the ice. Usually within an hour or so I felt better.
And I took my patience pills daily!
I’m over 4 years into my journey and I’m back to a full life. Walking 3-6 miles per day and I just completed two rooms of spring cleaning! So you will recover! Just might need a little extra time.
We are here for you, we will be your biggest cheerleaders.
This is so helpful! I was way off in how I’d think I’d recover here. It’s been humbling for sure. The hardest is the ptsd from failed scope. But I’ve gotten great advice on here.
 
We’ve all had “what ifs” regarding our reasons for needing surgery. Mine was a fall. So totally unprepared and not educated on the subject. Sure, I had “friends” who had hip replacements but it didn’t directly affect me.
I was shocked when I realized how long my recovery was taking. But thank goodness for bonesmart and all those who came before me. Cause I was now educated & more in charge of my recovery.
We all recover differently but very similar in many ways so there’s probably not one ache, pain or issue you will confront that someone here hasn’t already gone through & can help you.
 
We’ve all had “what ifs” regarding our reasons for needing surgery. Mine was a fall. So totally unprepared and not educated on the subject. Sure, I had “friends” who had hip replacements but it didn’t directly affect me.
I was shocked when I realized how long my recovery was taking. But thank goodness for bonesmart and all those who came before me. Cause I was now educated & more in charge of my recovery.
We all recover differently but very similar in many ways so there’s probably not one ache, pain or issue you will confront that someone here hasn’t already gone through & can help you.

Bless you for your kindness
 
You've got this. Im glad you're listening to your body, because that will help speed up healing, strengthening and give your body the chance to do everything it needs to do to return to a pain free life. You will get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom