Guest viewing is limited

THR Dave 40m post op recovery thread.

Ups and downs at six weeks post op are totally normal. Walking is the best exercise, but make sure you're increasing time / distance gradually. Please understand that the main muscle that lifts your leg runs through your groin, attaching near your prosthetic hip joint. It was stretched and irritated during your THR and at only six weeks it is still healing and it is used more as you're moving / walking. View it as tendon irritation of the hip flexor tendon (iliopsoas) This is very common in early recovery. You're wise to use ice / rest and to stay positive.
Happy Monday, donvito!
@donvito2234


Thank you! Yes I’ve been able to increase steps and distances gradually. This weekend hit new highs and was feeling great. Surely the relief will come eventually.
 
You are now “listening” to your body’s cues. Wise to ice and “chill” after a day of increasing your walks.
You will reach milestones during recovery. You will do something you were not able to do two weeks ago without even thinking and then realize you did it!
But you are still very early in your recovery days. I was 70 when I had my replacement so no pressure to recover sooner. I sure wanted to recover sooner but it just didn’t work out that way and I had to really take multiple patience pills per day. I was working at a job I loved but all I do now is dog sit and that keeps me walking a lot which I totally enjoy.
 
This weekend hit new highs and was feeling great.
I'm so glad you had a good weekend!

You will continue to see improvement -- but just remember that this recovery can be a roller coaster ride. So don't be surprised if you encounter a "dip."

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641



The good news is that the ups and downs do flatten out with time. We are here for support whenever it's needed.
 
Wanted to update some recent ups and downs! I started transitioning off the cane last week and am basically fully off of it now. Yesterday felt almost like a normal day (7000 steps, helped with dinner, drove to PT, helped with bedtime)

Today hit me like brick wall of course. Extreme fatigue, along with a some depression (am i ever going to be normal?).

I still have persistent groin pain as well as glute and some lower back pain. Only the groin pain concerns me as it was a bad pre op symptom. My surgeon put me on dicloflenac and said if in a month i don’t improve he will order an mri to see what’s bothering my Psoas.

Somedays i have a hard time wondering if I’ll get “normal” life back without pain.
 
Great that you're off the cane. Hopefully you're not limping. Maybe 7000 steps is a little too much for you right now as you're dealing with the groin, glute and low back pain. You could try to cut back on the steps until your symptoms ease. Consider splitting the walking up into shorter stretches. On the days when you're really hurting, you may want to take the day off from your walks and exercising, only engaging in the activities of daily living.

Hopefully the meds will help the pain ease over time. It's a good possibility this is taking longer due to the fact that you experienced two surgeries within 13 months as your surgeon noted. I don't think the suggestion of a MRI signals he suspects something is wrong, he isn't rushing anything and he prescribed meds, which seems like a good sign to me, and he's willing to dig deeper if things do not improve over the next month. Let's hold out hope time will work in your favor. I hope you get some restorative rest overnight.
@donvito2234
 
I have to agree with Layla here. Dial back the steps or break it up. I walk 3-6 miles most days but I do not do it all at once. It’s split up throughout the course of my day. My primary told me a long time ago 3 ten minute walks are the same as one 30 minute walk.
Also you are only 8 weeks out of your surgery. It’s very normal to feel depressed first few months.
You may have joined the ODIC. No worries, we’ve all been there, some of us more than once.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope today feels a little brighter :SUNsmile: and you enjoy the weekend. :thumb:
@donvito2234
 
Almost 10 weeks post op. Riding the waves that is recovery! Had a few days where i felt wonderful then the past 2 were a struggle. Trusting the process and trying to stay positive. What’s helped is talking to other younger ish folks who had hip replacements and are on the same roller coaster i am.

A few wins, last week went to my daughter’s soccer game, yesterday watched my youngest for 3 hours. Also got some Mother’s Day gifts. Riding around my car and life slowly coming back.

Grateful for the support i have inside and outside the home.
 
Such a positive update! So uplifting. I am happy for you, donvito. You're right, early recovery is like riding the waves. Soft tissues are still healing and adapting to the prosthetic, as the muscles around your hip continue to rebuild strength. Inflammation can still fluctuate and your sleep and energy levels can be up and down also. I'm glad you found people in your age range that can relate to your recovery. Sounds like you're slowing re-engaging in life and that's a great sign! Keep us posted and best wishes for a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@donvito2234
 
Happy to hear you are moving along in recovery. Going to a game and watching your daughter play soccer makes you feel like things are getting back to somewhat normal!
It’s an up and down recovery trail for sure and having others to communicate with that are in same position surely helps.
I know for me I’ve found so much solid information here and realized I wasn’t alone in my recovery and many experienced very similar issues.
Listening to friends that tell you their aunt had hip replaced and was playing tennis in two weeks is disheartening! And more than likely not true! People mean well but until someone has had this surgery they have no clue. It’s like any procedure. If you haven’t had it please don’t steal my joy by telling me tall tales!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well and you're enjoying Summer so far.
Wishing you a happy and safe holiday weekend. Take care, donvito!
@donvito2234
 
Thank you. I am doing ok. Still a lot of groin pain and been diagnosed with 2 inguinal hernia and a sports hernia. So surgery for that in a few weeks. Though a much lighter surgery then hip replacement.
 
I am sorry you're still struggling with groin pain. I hope the surgery goes well and brings you the relief you deserve.
Thankfully the procedure you're facing is way less extensive than a THR. Wishing you the best!
Stay and touch and let us know how you're doing. :thumb:
@donvito2234
 
@donvito2234
Sorry to hear you need more surgery but I just had inguinal hernia surgery end of April and it was a very quick and easy recovery. We are all different and sure hope your recovery also goes well. Keep us posted.
 
@donvito2234
Sorry to hear you need more surgery but I just had inguinal hernia surgery end of April and it was a very quick and easy recovery. We are all different and sure hope your recovery also goes well. Keep us posted.
Thank you, mind if i DM you? Anxious for yet another surgery mostly that it won’t relieve my pain
 
@donvito2234 I encourage to ask your questions here in your thread, rather than via direct message.There may be other dealing with the issue and having this information in the public forum can help others.

You are welcome to use DMs for sharing information that you don't want to be seen in the open, public areas, but if something can help another member, we'd love to see it here in your thread. Sharing information and advice is what BoneSmart is all about.

Thanks!
 
@myglasshalffull
It's understandable that a private conversation involving a surgery unrelated to the forums main topic (joints) went to DM. Shared experiences can help ease anxiety and I am assuming your words were comforting to, donvito. Thanks for supporting him, myglasshalffull.

@donvito2234
Your upcoming surgery is a very common procedure. Just another day at the office for the medical professionals you'll deal with that day. Before you know it surgery will be behind you and you'll be focused on healing.
Wishing you a smooth surgery and a comfortable recovery.
 
I’ll share openly! Didn’t want to distract. So yes my procedure is two fold. I have two inguinal hernias, as well as something called sports hernia/core muscle injury.

Inguinal hernias are what everyone thinks of when you think hernia, bulge in lower groin, pain in lower pelvis etc. they will patch these up with mesh. I had double hernia when i was 12 repaired. I honestly think these recurred when this all started 2 years ago and were made worse by my hip scope (woke up in incredible pain in my pelvis where the hernia is.)

My other injury is a sports hernia. Which is what the team, and my hip surgeon believe is causing my inner groin/medial groin pain (think where adductor connects to pelvic bone). I have confirmed injury in this area. So my surgeon will repair and reinforce my rectus abdominus at the pubic bone, and another surgeon will “lengthen” my adductors which is a small incision to release tension.

The mix of emotions is brutal, I’ve had a tough recovery from the hip and expected this pain to go away w replacement. The anxiety that came without it not leaving is a heavy load. Really unchanged, however i have a strong hip now, no front of hip pain, no glute pain. I can do 8k steps a day now.

I am facing my fear and ptsd from medical trauma and pain the best i can. I avoided posting here cause i did not want to scare anyone or be a downer to be honest.

I am cautiously optimistic. As some say, if you need surgery. You need surgery. It’s not if it’s when. Also i have to remind myself how lucky i am that i have treatment options. Many hit a wall where theres no options.

I’m grateful at the end of the day, for my wife, daughters and this group.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom