Guest viewing is limited

THR Dave 40m post op recovery thread.

:wave:Happy One Month Anniversary donvito2234
I hope you're having a good week, your recovery is moving along well and you've established a routine that's working for you...even though that's ever changing as your strength rebuilds.
Best wishes for comfort as you continue the journey. :thumb: Have a great Thursday!
@donvito2234
 
Thank you Layla. Recovery is going ok. Still a lot of groin and thigh pain. Function and mobility is increasing. Pain relief has not come yet, hoping this is common? Thanks for all the support.
 
Pain relief has not come yet, hoping this is common?
Pain in the groin and thigh is very common and not abnormal. The soft tissues, muscles and tendons are still healing from the trauma of surgery. It will steadily improve. It's still very early into a recovery that can last a full year and even longer for some. Continue icing as often as you care to for at least 45 minutes per session. Ice anywhere you are feeling discomfort / pain. Take care!
@donvito2234
 
Pain relief has not come yet, hoping this is common?
Pain in the groin and thigh is very common and not abnormal. The soft tissues, muscles and tendons are still healing from the trauma of surgery. It will steadily improve. It's still very early into a recovery that can last a full year and even longer for some. Continue icing as often as you care to for at least 45 minutes per session. Ice anywhere you are feeling discomfort / pain. Take care!
@donvito2234
Thank you. Your experience is very comforting!
 
Don,
There are some days if I overdo it (like spring cleaning), climbing stepstool to clean ceiling fans, and I still wash floors old fashioned hands and knees method I get a little groin pain.
Good old ice and relax and hour and I’m as good as new.
I have spinal stenosis & my back some days gives me a run for my money but once again ice or heating pad and rest a bit and then I’m ok.
You will get there.
Im guessing many of us who have had replacements have issues from time to time. Add the fact that I’m 74 and have a little arthritis doesn’t help either.
But most of my days are very very good. I guess since it’s been over 4 years since I had my replacement I’m very in tune with those little flare ups and I know what caused them, overdoing!
I wish you the best.
 
Don,
There are some days if I overdo it (like spring cleaning), climbing stepstool to clean ceiling fans, and I still wash floors old fashioned hands and knees method I get a little groin pain.
Good old ice and relax and hour and I’m as good as new.
I have spinal stenosis & my back some days gives me a run for my money but once again ice or heating pad and rest a bit and then I’m ok.
You will get there.
Im guessing many of us who have had replacements have issues from time to time. Add the fact that I’m 74 and have a little arthritis doesn’t help either.
But most of my days are very very good. I guess since it’s been over 4 years since I had my replacement I’m very in tune with those little flare ups and I know what caused them, overdoing!
I wish you the best.

Thank you. I’m accepting it as slow gradual process and being mindful of my body. The groin pain is going to take some time it seems! I appreciate the perspective.
 
I’m feeling some frustration today at 5 weeks. I haven’t seen much improvement overall, i can
Move around better with the cane sure and have some range of motion compared to surgery day. But my pre op symptoms have not seemed to improve much in the groin area, I’m still icing all day and battling extreme fatigue.

I’m trying to be patient but my brain keeps going to worst case scenarios. I thought by 5 weeks I’d surely experience some improvement. I see my surgeon tomorrow but I’m feeling anxious and concerned.
 
Be sure and let your surgeon know your concerns. He will likely tell you that you need to give things more time. At 5-6 weeks, things are still healing. Also, it is possible that you’re getting this pain because you’re attempting too much exercise or activity too soon. That happens frequently with joint replacement patients.

Try cutting back on your activities and exercises a bit and see if that helps. If you’re not using Tylenol for the pain, I suggest you start taking it on a schedule (1000mg every 6 hours) and see if the pain lessens. It can take quite a while for all your soft tissues to readjust to your new body alignment. Remember that a full recovery can take a year or more. Patience with the recovery is many times the most difficult part.
 
As expected my surgeon said to give it time. Said the groin and muscle pain should calm down after a few more weeks or a month. Also that 2 surgeries on the hip in 13 months make it more prone to inflammation. Additionally said that there was a lot of damage and a lot of work done.
 
It all makes sense. I hope you were comforted by his reassurance. It is so early into your recovery in the entire scheme of things. If you scale back on activity, continue icing and taking any meds as prescribed you'll likely slowly notice some improvement. :thumb: Hang in there and stay in touch. We're here for you.
@donvito2234
 
It all makes sense. I hope you were comforted by his reassurance. It is so early into your recovery in the entire scheme of things. If you scale back on activity, continue icing and taking any meds as prescribed you'll likely slowly notice some improvement. :thumb: Hang in there and stay in touch. We're here for you.
@donvito2234
You’re so right. It’s just the mental load of a previous failed surgery that weighs me down. His reassurance was comforting as i know this is his career and he’d sound the alarms if there was true concern.
 
You’re so right. Please try not to worry. Your body is an amazing machine that is prepared to heal from all the trauma it’s been through. As Layla said, we’re always here to answer any questions or address your concerns. And….we’ll also be looking forward to celebrate even small steps forward as you have them. That’s one of our favorite things!
 
Pleased you spoke with your doctor and had some reassurance.
This is a roller coaster recovery.
And takes time more time than we had envisioned.
Hang in there, it gets better, trust me it does.
 
2 surgeries on the hip in 13 months make it more prone to inflammation. Additionally said that there was a lot of damage and a lot of work done.
I'm so glad he pointed this out to you. I had none of these issues prior to surgery, but my first THR recovery was still really slow. I didn't keep a full journal, because I hadn't yet found BoneSmart, but my recollection is that I didn't really start to notice improvement until about the 3 month mark after I was getting some PT help.

I know it's hard, but try to be patient. You are still early days. It does get better with time.
 
2 surgeries on the hip in 13 months make it more prone to inflammation. Additionally said that there was a lot of damage and a lot of work done.
I'm so glad he pointed this out to you. I had none of these issues prior to surgery, but my first THR recovery was still really slow. I didn't keep a full journal, because I hadn't yet found BoneSmart, but my recollection is that I didn't really start to notice improvement until about the 3 month mark after I was getting some PT help.

I know it's hard, but try to be patient. You are still early days. It does get better with time.
Thank you for saying this. I’ve yet to experience much relief and it’s tough to be patient but i don’t Have much of a choice.
 
I remember my surgeon telling me "the most important muscle to exercise during the firth few months of this recovery is the Patience Muscle." I admit that I wasn't very good at that, so you are not alone.

Hang in there.
 
I remember my surgeon telling me "the most important muscle to exercise during the firth few months of this recovery is the Patience Muscle." I admit that I wasn't very good at that, so you are not alone.

Hang in there.
Great advice!
 
6 weeks post op today. The ups and downs continue. Was able to get more walking done this weekend, and more time with my family overall. Felt like i was turning a corner but woke up to groin pain last night at 3 am and feeling it today. Going to ice all day and reset and try to remain a positive attitude.
 
I’ll also note that walking is the most comfortable exercise for my hip, and along with what many said here physical therapy just causes pain. Especially the abduction exercises.
 
Ups and downs at six weeks post op are totally normal. Walking is the best exercise, but make sure you're increasing time / distance gradually. Please understand that the main muscle that lifts your leg runs through your groin, attaching near your prosthetic hip joint. It was stretched and irritated during your THR and at only six weeks it is still healing and it is used more as you're moving / walking. View it as tendon irritation of the hip flexor tendon (iliopsoas) This is very common in early recovery. You're wise to use ice / rest and to stay positive.
Happy Monday, donvito!
@donvito2234
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom