TKR Dabber's Second TKR

Thanks for posting, @Dabber. I'm sorry you had such a rough start and then, just as things were looking up, contracted a Covid infection.

I hope you are now on the road to recovery. Looking forward to your next update.
 
Thanks for responding Dabber.
Now you have me on the edge of my seat...
I certainly hope you're feeling better by now after Covid. It was good to hear from you and I wish you the best as you continue healing. Hope to hear from you soon...want to know that you're doing okay. :wave:
@Dabber
 
Oh no, that dreaded Covid. Go away, Covid! I guess you can look at it this way...Covid will keep you from overdoing and joining that awful Club, the over did it club!
 
How are you feeling, @Dabber? I hope your bad Covid infection has now fully resolved.

Give us an update when you have a chance.
 
I am still coughing and recovering slowly from Covid. The fatigue has been very bad.
Update on my new TKR below.
 
Last edited:
My new left knee is 3 months old today. Unfortunately it went from having a good start to 6 weeks downtime with covid.
With being in treatment for relapsed Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma I'm clinically extremely vulnerable and needed anti-virals that I had in due course. My hubby and I were both very poorly indeed, he recovered well, I didn't with being immunocompromised and needed antibiotics. I tested positive for covid for 5 full weeks and didn't have the energy or ability to do much in the way of exercise. I still haven't had a post op. Today I feel slightly better for the first time.
I have retained my ROM, but don't have much strength now in my newly operated knee/leg. My whole leg, hip and lower back are very painful when I weight bear and give way if I try a step up. Sometimes there are shooting nerve pains. I understand this is quite a common occurrence with a TKR anyway, so.....
Please do you have any suggestions?
What I am trying to do is walk a bit, do an occasional low step up, I try to stand from a chair without holding on. I have a little pedaler too to use but have hardly used it yet. I am limping if I'm not consciously putting my heel to toe motion in practice that I try to do. My right, many times operated on leg is doing all the hard work going up stairs etc.
Sleeping is awful because my whole leg, knee and hip are painful to lie on that side, mostly the hip. I have had bursitis in my hips in the past, probably still have. I understand that I will hopefully never need a hip replacement. I have spinal stenosis.
I see my consultant for my delayed post op next week and have a second physio appointment the week after.
 
Last edited:
Oh my goodness, @Dabber! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with Covid for six weeks. It's not surprising that you are feeling weak and are struggling with pain.

It's great that you haven't lost any ROM during your extended Covid recovery. I suspect that being laid up for so long is contributing to the muscle weakness; it should begin to improve as you are able to be more active.

Since your flexion is good, I would encourage you to ask the physio to give you exercises that target those weak leg muscles. Getting them firing again will help stop that sensation that the leg is giving way.

Please do update us after you see your consultant next week.
 
You have certainly had a tough time of it for the past 6 weeks. I’m so glad you’re finally starting to come out of COVID. Being inactive for so long will mean some work to regain strength, but try to take things slow and gradual. When you’re walking, be sure to use a walker or cane to help. Limping is not good. If your body is weak on your surgery side, you need the additional support to walk with a proper gait and allow the right muscles to begin to strengthen. Limping throws everything off and is counterproductive.

The fact that you maintained your ROM is a very good sign. You’ll get through this, but be aware it will take some time.
 
Hi Dabber
You've certainly dealt with a lot of adversity over the past several weeks. Thankfully you're coming out on the other side and you're feeling better today. :thumb: That's encouraging!
I am sorry you're currently enduring back, hip and leg pain. An assistive device will certainly be useful while your leg is feeling weak and possibly your balance is off. You need more time to rebuild those energy reserves. It will come. Good luck with your appointment with the consultant next week. If you feel like sharing, let us know how it goes. :wave:
@Dabber
 
Unfortunately things have now changed again. I don't seem to have very good fortune with my TKRs. I have now been diagnosed with iron deficient anaemia and am awaiting an iron infusion at the hospital. This diagnosis does account for most of my recent odd symptoms. I am just hoping the infusion is soon and my knee and muscles can recover. I see the knee consultant anyway next Wednesday so should know more then. I think I am back on walking sticks for the time being. I am so very tired.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry you have to deal with this too, but at least with this diagnosis, you know why you've been feeling so tired. I hope your anemia is treated soon. Please keep us posted, @Dabber.
 
I am so sorry, Dabber. Thankfully you're in a safe place and your issue has the attention of the professionals and you'll be back on track soon. We're here for you, so please keep us posted. Big hugs :console2:
@Dabber
 
I have known those that have had to have the infusion and felt tons better afterward. I pray you do, too!
 
What a relief to have a diagnosis and a treatment! Hoping your infusion is quickly scheduled.
 
Hi Dabber,
Stopping by on this three month anniversary of your TKR so say Hi, wish you a happy anniversary and see how you're doing. Have you had the infusion yet? If so, I hope you're feeling better.

All the best for your visit with the consultant tomorrow. When you have time, please let us know how you're doing. We do care. :friends:
@Dabber
 
I saw the consultant's registrar who was very good, on 3rd Sept, and I had X-rays done. The knee looks good. I had an excellent surgeon. Unfortunately I have Trochanteric Bursitis in my left hip (operated side), it's extremely painful. I can't have a steroid injection because of being immunocompromised; I need physio for it.
We trotted along to physiotherapy this Tuesday (9th Sept) and saw my chap again. He has given me a range of exercises to strengthen my weak muscles using ankle weights. The weight he suggested is largely impossible at the moment so I have purchased those and a lower weight. I avoided using weights previously but will go carefully.
As I have another major operation two weeks today, (25th September) I will have to take an exercise break then as it's a rectocele operation with plastic surgery added on and the two will certainly not work together (pelvic floor/prolapse issues with ankle weights physio). I had the pre op for that on 5th Sept. I will talk to the consultant when I see her post op.
I had my iron infusion yesterday, (10th Sept) it went well although I had a reaction when home, my legs swelled up and were a little red and rashy, I took antihistamines and it has settled overnight. I understand it will take 6 weeks to feel the real benefit, I'd hoped it would be sooner.
It's all a bit of a mish mash as now have to prep for a big operation and do the knee exercises diligently too.
My ROM made my physio gasp, 0/probably 130. At least I got something right. :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Dabber
Thanks for your update. You have a lot going on. Great news that the x-rays looked good, but sorry to read of the Trochanteric Bursitis and the pain it's causing you. I wish you the best for your upcoming surgery. Thankfully the reaction from the Iron infusion settled overnight. I hope you feel the benefits soon and I'm wishing you abundant comfort. Stay in the loop here for support. We're here for you, Dabber.

Following is an article with a good explanation of Trochanteric Bursitis -
 
Oh my goodness, @Dabber. I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time with this recovery and are now facing another surgical procedure.

Tronchanteric Bursitis is a fairly common problem for us hippies. You might find this article helpful: Trochanteric Bursitis.

Your flexion is great! As far as weights, you should okay using LIGHT weights now that you are more than 3 months post-op. But I agree with your approach -- be cautious about the amount of weight you use and build up slowly so you don't cause injury.

Hope you start to see improvement from the iron soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom