TKR Dabber's Second TKR

Thank you for the link and help, it is much appreciated.
 
I saw another physio who gave me simpler exercises, not involving ankle weights, and with the suggestion of never going above a 4 pain wise which was refreshing.

On Thursday I have the colorectal/gynae operation and am going to need to step back with knee exercises. At the moment I am 18 weeks and struggle to walk much at all. The knee is still painful inside the joint when I try to go up a step, the hip pain I can understand but the pain inside the knee still, is this acceptable at this stage? My foot/leg tend to turn out too which they didn't do before. I correct this, the physio mentioned it too. I try to walk heel to toe and not limp. I haven't been out much with the low energy from anaemia but my energy level is picking up a bit now; it's not yet at the full benefit level and I have another blood test to take soon to check ferritin levels.
 
I'm glad you found a physio with a more reasonable approach to recovery, @Dabber. And it's good to read that you are noticing improvement from the injections. But I'm sorry you are facing another major surgery.

The knee is still painful inside the joint when I try to go up a step, the hip pain I can understand but the pain inside the knee still, is this acceptable at this stage?
You've had such a difficult journey since your surgery -- between the extended bout of COVID, and the anemia -- please, don't measure your progress against others. Also, know that stairs take a long time to do comfortably. Given the knee more time to heal.

Wishing you the best for your surgery this week.
 
My operation has been cancelled for a second time, it can't be helped, I have a good surgeon doing it and each time I've been cancelled for a cancer patient. She has opened up an afternoon next week to take the two of us who were cancelled.
I think I'm going to try the light touch of 2 alternating crutches again to enable me to walk more easily as I'm so afraid of falling as it is, and go out on pavements daily for short walks. I've been picking our medlars in the garden today and am very unsteady on the uneven lawn and soil.
 
Oh no! I'm so sorry you've been pushed back again and do hope the third time is the charm.

I'm going to try the light touch of 2 alternating crutches again to enable me to walk more easily as I'm so afraid of falling as it is, and go out on pavements daily for short walks. I've been picking our medlars in the garden today and am very unsteady on the uneven lawn and soil.
That's a good idea. The last thing you want to deal with right now is a fall.

It took me many months to feel safe walking on the lawn after each of my surgeries. It's just so uneven -- and you can't really see what the surface is like because it's hidden by the grass and ground cover.

Stay safe.
 
The knee is still painful inside the joint when I try to go up a step, the hip pain I can understand but the pain inside the knee still, is this acceptable at this stage?
I had medial pain for many months after my PKR and couldn't do stairs normally for at least 7- 8 months.
I had an overstretched MCL which needed gradually strengthening work on the quads once the surgery had healed.
You have really been through the mill with your trochanteric bursitis and other issues. You may well have soft tissue issues like I had which slow down your recovery. They also impede the physio you need to rehab the knee.
A lot of us are juggling various joint and other health problems which complicate our rehab. I have fairly serious back issues ( spinal stenosis/ arthritis/ sciatica) and it was a bit of a nightmare in the early months trying to do the right stuff for my back with a post- op knee.
It's tough figuring out the best path not to aggravate something else....
 
@Dabber
Sorry to hear you have had a challenging recovery.
Wise of you to use your crutches to help with your balance.
Wishing you well for your surgery next week. :fingersx: it happens as scheduled.
 
Hi Dabber,
I'm sorry you've had to deal with the cancelations. You've been through a lot with the TKR / recovery, and now facing another procedure while managing anemia and the lingering pain. Hopefully once you're beyond this upcoming surgery, you can take a deep breath. You deserve some rest, relief and smoother days ahead. I hope all goes as planned this week and you finally get the chance to fully heal from both your TKR and this weeks surgery.
All the best!
@Dabber
 
I had my rectocele repair that went fine, I was just in hospital for 1 night. Tomorrow is the two week mark. I've been so very tired and then looked back and thought in 4 1/2 months I've had the TKR, acute covid, iron deficient anaemia, a rectocele repair and greater trochanteric pain syndrome all whilst in cancer maintenance treatment so decided to be ultra kind to myself. I also have spinal stenosis and my recent hip X-Ray to check for arthritis threw up more thinning of bones, so on Wed I have a DEXA scan again; I have Calcium and Vitamin D3 tablets. The bone thinning is exacerbated by all the steroids I've needed for the blood cancer treatment. On Friday is my pacemaker download, annual at the moment after a new box a few years ago. It runs down quickly as I'm just about 100% dependant. I feel amazingly thankful for medical advancements.

I'm not doing much other than pottering around the house and going to appointments. I sew for a hobby too and learn French as well as enjoying gardening which is sadly much more limited these days. I feel very dizzy and wobbly much of the time outdoors and struggle to walk more than a few yards at the moment; my strength is gradually improving but I miss the days of walking independently into town. Around the house I'm not too bad except for stairs.

I have a musculoskeletal appointment at the end of November, it should have been last week but I couldn't face getting to an appointment by 9am so soon after bowel surgery. This is for the GTPS that isn't really any better. Physio exercises for the TKR exacerbate it so seem pointless. My ROM remains good, strength I hope will come when the leg/hip is less painful weight-bearing with GTPS. I can sometimes come downstairs foot over foot using the handrails but going upstairs is painful and largely impossible, so I manage one step at a time with perhaps one step up on my operated leg at the bottom. I see the physio again in early November.

I'm just counting my blessings at the moment and keeping on doing meditative stitching!

Thanks for all advice.
 
@Dabber It's good to see your update and that, with all you've been through you are recovering nicely from the latest surgery and managing to keep yourself on track despite pain, dizziness, and the wobblies.

Slow and steady. We're here for your highs and lows.
 
I'm just counting my blessings at the moment
Bless your heart, you've been through a lot. :console2: More than many could handle and still remember to count their blessings. I wish you a safe trip to your DEXA scan today and the energy to get you there and back comfortably. Hugs
 
can sometimes come downstairs foot over foot
That is amazing progress. I couldn't do that for months and I just had a PKR plus some MCL issues and spinal stenosis- not everything you have been through.
You must ve kind to yourself and be positive.
 
@Dabber you’re going amazing!! Not sure that I could have coped with all that you’ve been through!
I wish you lots of luck in your journey… you’re fab x
 
I’m limping along, well trying to walk tall and not limp!
I saw a senior physiotherapist who was very helpful and a lovely musculoskeletal MCATs lady who was also an experienced physio and both said very gentle exercise, mostly walking with a few basic movements and never into pain and they felt the GTPS is the major cause of my issues is self limiting and will go gradually but not quickly.
I have in fact had my first small but very lovely walk on a Northumbrian beach today which was bliss, so happy to have managed it. My favourite place, apart from or as well as Paris.
 
Dabber,
Happy to hear about your progress, your walk on the Northumbrian beach, sounds wonderful.
Slow but sure will get you there.
 
Thanks for the update, @Dabber. So glad to read that you were able to enjoy that walk on the beach! A milestone worth celebrating.

Remember you are only about half-way through this year-long journey and that you will continue to progress. It sounds as though you have a great team to support you.

Best wishes.
 
Nice to hear from you, Dabber.
Glad you're back to enjoying beach walks. Just noticed it's six months to date since your surgery.
Happy Six Month Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely holiday season!
@Dabber
 
My right revision knee “locks” when it is straight at 0 degrees but my new knee doesn’t and now extends further back making it feel unstable. I’ve had 0-130 ROM from very early on. I haven’t got my Goniometer here so I can’t measure it but it now feels to be flexing further too. I was told 130 is the maximum for my prosthetic. Does this sound ominous? My right was revised because it was lax.
I’m still struggling with any walking with GTPS but I *am* walking as that is apparently the best exercise at the moment.
 
Back
Top Bottom