Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dabber's Second TKR

Does the knee that feels unstable actually ever give way?
I must say that if my knee felt unstable I would try to get a follow up appointment and check in with the surgical team.
Were your joints lax before surgery?
I was always a bit hypermobile and this, combined with knock knees and overstretched ligaments caused my knee problems.
It may be something that can be corrected by exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments but probably best to check.
 
I experience hyperextension, too, and have to be extra careful with each step. But, my situation is different from yours. What I suggest is for you to be careful until your knee gets stronger.
 
I need to do an update don't I.
My new knee is over a year old now and is great! It is so different from my right knee that remains rather painful especially when walking much.
It took a year to get over the GTPS as I was told it would, it was really quite disabling but it is mostly better now, I just have to be careful not to aggravate the hip or joint.
The most striking thing for me is just how very different the whole recovery and end product was. I now know what a good knee is like, I certainly never did with my right knee despite revision, re revision and debridement. I definitely wasn't making a fuss about nothing, I definitely didn't do anything wrong during recovery, there was always that niggling feeling about both when others couldn't understand my problems and I felt, blamed me; mostly they thought that I couldn't have done my physio properly.
I still have some issues with going up stairs that I am sure will be resolved now the GTPS has almost gone.
The physio I was given was too much for my age, I look younger than I am and it was gradually reduced as I moved from Orthopaedic hospital to local hospital to GP health centre. I had to go back to using crutches then walking sticks with the GTPS but now I only use one walking pole for stability sometimes as I don't want to fall.
:) :-) (:
 
Good to hear from you, @Dabber. Thanks for the update!

So glad to read that your left knee is doing well and that you are happy with the result. Also happy that your GTPS has resolved and that you are able to walk without aids most of the time. It's been a long road for you.

I definitely didn't do anything wrong during recovery, there was always that niggling feeling about both when others couldn't understand my problems and I felt, blamed me; mostly they thought that I couldn't have done my physio properly.
No, you didn't do anything wrong and it's very disappointing that others made you feel that you did. I'm sorry that happened. I hope, now that leftie is strong and the GTPS has resolved, that you will begin to see some improvement in that right knee.

Please do come back and update us as you continue your recovery journey. We want to know how you are doing.
 
I definitely didn't do anything wrong during recovery, there was always that niggling feeling about both when others couldn't understand my problems and I felt, blamed me; mostly they thought that I couldn't have done my physio properly.
Oh I know this feeling well. My PKR, done 9 years ago, has not been a success, and I was treated the same way by a lot of people, especially those with successful TKRs. I’m glad your second knee has done so well.
 
Glad to hear from you that you are doing well with your second knee. Sorry that they did not take you seriously with your first knee, and made you feel like it was your fault.
 
:wave:
Thanks for the update, Dabber, it's nice to hear from you. A belated Happy One Year Anniversary!

It's great to read that, Lefty, is doing well. You've been through so much with your right knee. A TKR, then the additional procedures. It's understandable that walking too much is still painful. I do hope you can find the right balance between activity and rest and that brighter, more comfortable days are still ahead.

I'm sorry you had to deal with others making assumptions about your recovery. Hopefully the memories of any unhelpful comments fade and you are able to keep moving forward at a pace that you find comfortable. It sounds like navigating stairs continues to improve for you as well as the GTPS and now with a successful Left TKR, it seems that things are looking up for you. Best wishes, I hope you'll stay in touch! :thumb:
@Dabber
 
Hello @Dabber thanks for the update. What a time you’ve had and there’s a few of us on here who did everything right and still had quite a time of it, myself included.
So many people, outside of this community, think they know about knees and the recovery, even when many of them have never experienced it themselves, and this includes some health professionals too.
I’m glad the trochanter pain is eased and that this knee is good. Our bodies are amazing and hopefully in time the walking and stairs will improve and with the left TKR working well the RTR may even improve too.
Thank you for sharing, we love to get updates from our members and I wish you well, especially as many on here relate how in the second and third years there were further improvements.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom