THR Crossing over to my new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take tramadol 50 mg every 6 hrs but have been spacing the time longer and no just Tylenol in between.
You should make better use of your Tramadol with the Tylenol.
Here was my regime that I use for nigh on 3 months - not absolutely all the time you understand, I varied it here and there as it seemed fit.

[Bonesmart.org] Crossing over to my new beginning


I have not taken my teds off yet because there is no one to help me put them on later.
I meant, take'm off and leave them off! I did!
 
@barbaranna I found this the other day about Tramadol and wanted to share it. Not sure if it applies to you but wanted you to be aware anyway, hope you get it resolved soon. Might be something to talk to your OS about.

Tramadol Side Effects:
Nausea, vomiting, indigestion, diarrhoea
Constipation
Headache
Drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue
Restless legs
itching
Dry mouth
Sweating, flushing
Loss of appetite
Difficulty sleeping, insomnia
Skin rash
 
Those side effects are generally well known and easily researched on numerous websites. They are also on the leaflet supplied with the box of pills. Trouble is, people never seem to read them! Nevertheless, Tramadol remains one of the most effective and best tolerated meds going.
 
@Josephine have been sick with stomach flu and it wasn't pleasant with recovery going on at the same time. I have a couple of questions thought you might be able to answer for me . I am taking 325 mg aspirin for blood clotting which Dr ordered and Tylenol with caffeine once in a while and one 200 mg Celebrex daily which I feel helps. I am not sure on how I should feel right now. Still using a walker and had surgery on the 24th of March. Should I be? Notice at night when I go to bed have pain most in the day not usually any and really am not over doing it in the daytime at all. Mostly just resting. There is still swelling by the incision and bruising and don't know how long that takes to go away. And notice a tightness in that thigh area...is that normal? Also notice that when I touch the bottom of my leg below the knee on the hard bony part it feels kind of numb. Is that normal? and if so why ? Don't want to bother the Dr with all these questions
 
@barbaranna so sorry to hear that you have to put up with the stomache flu AND trying to heal. Do the best you can and best wishes.
 
@barbaranna good to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing Ok except for that dang stomach flu. How miserable to deal with that on top of your recovery.

It doesn't sound like you are taking much in the way of pain meds but it sounds like your pain is bearable. Mind is worse at nite when I'm trying to get comfortable or move to a new position in bed, or when I first get up in the morning, until I can get going and the stiffness works out. Finally found meds that are helping control the pain so I am sleeping better and NO nausea...such a blessing. A simple switch from hydrocodone to Percocet did the trick for me. Who knew.

I'm not using the walker anymore myself. I took it with me for my 2 week post-op doc appt this Tuesday (4/8) but really didn't need it except for balance, and I have been using just a cane around the house with no problem. Can even do short trips to bathroom without the cane but I feel safer having it handy so far. I have days that I am concerned that I still have more pain when walking than I should and I don't feel I'm ready for more than short walks which is frustrating but I'm trying to be patient. I'm not very good at that. :skep:

As far as the tightness and numbness I think that is all normal from the surgery trauma. I have a tightness myself all around the thigh area, and the whole area is numb. I have swelling still but the ice does help with that. I never had much bruising at all, but I think others have and that is pretty normal also. Josephine may have thoughts on that but I think unless you have redness or the area feels very warm, that it's likely OK.

For me, like with my knee replacement last year, this is the hardest part. I want to do more and feel better sooner than my body is ready, so it's a constant battle between my expectations and the reality of what my body needs right now. Some days I am surprised how well I'm doing, and other days it hurts to move much at all. I struggle to accept those days but I'm trying and think overall I'm where I should be at this stage. Sounds like you are too from what I can tell!

Hang in there @barbaranna! We will start to feel better soon! I hope it's starting to feel like Spring up there...the beautiful weather is definitely helping my spirits down here in the South. :flwrysmile:
 
@barbaranna I just happened by and saw that you are having problems. I know Josephine will be along to address them soon. I can attest to the tight feeling in the thigh, still have it some myself and I am almost 8 weeks post op. I will let her handle the questions because I am no expert. Hope you start feeling better soon.
 
@barbaranna I have the tightness in the thigh, too...hamstring, quad and behind the knee. I think that is pretty normal while you are healing. And I am still swollen and a little bruised. My surgery was March 20. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Hi @ barbaranna....hope you feel better from your stomach flu....didn't need that too! Tightness and numbness and swelling Re so part of the recovery...the tightness goes on for some or it did in my case....especially after a period of inactivity when I started to move again. I stayed on 2 crutches for 6 weeks post op and then on one crutch got long walks until I was 5 months, due to limp....but I walk normally now! For me the time didn't matter it was the result that I wanted...it tried my patience a few times nut I walk straight with no pain. You are only a few weeks post op and resting should be at the top of your list!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2..... I had such bad pain in my knee post op (I had never had knee pain and was very anxious about it).... It lasted In one form or another until a few weeks ago....it's gone now!!! Think it's all the soft muscle tissue etc...hope yours goes too...I'm Sure it will! It just takes that thing....time!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I am taking 325 mg aspirin for blood clotting which Dr ordered and Tylenol with caffeine once in a while and one 200 mg Celebrex daily which I feel helps
You mustn't take Celebrex when you're taking aspirin. Both are NSAIDs.
I am not sure on how I should feel right now. Notice at night when I go to bed have pain most in the day not usually any and really am not over doing it in the daytime at all. There is still swelling by the incision and bruising and don't know how long that takes to go away. And notice a tightness in that thigh area...is that normal?
But what happened to your Tramadol? You should be taking that as well. I did leave you clear advice regarding this in post #41. You are barely 3 weeks out and need to be taking good pain meds for another 4-5 weeks at least. All of this is post-op pain and needs to be adequately medicated.
Also notice that when I touch the bottom of my leg below the knee on the hard bony part it feels kind of numb. Is that normal? and if so why ?
Read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
 
@Josephine just doing what the Dr ordered on the aspirin. They want me to take 325 mg for 6 weeks of aspirin for blood clotting and one 200 mg Celebrex daily. I haven't used the Tramadol because I have not had much pain just the tightness and once in a great while discomfort. its the swelling, bruising and numbness I was not sure was normal at my recovery stage and if I should try not to use the walker now. its seems to be a crutch or support for me. when I don't use it and try to walk there is a soreness in the outer part of the thigh that bothers me. yes I did see the schedule wasn't sure what paracetamol was lol but now I understand.
 
@Josephine just doing what the Dr ordered on the aspirin. They want me to take 325 mg for 6 weeks of aspirin for blood clotting and one 200 mg Celebrex daily.
Well just be careful and if you get any stomach pains or heartburn, stop the celebrex immediately and contact your doctor. Also read this NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers.
I haven't used the Tramadol because I have not had much pain just the tightness and once in a great while discomfort. its the swelling
Really? But then you said this which I why I posted what I did ...
Notice at night when I go to bed have pain most There is still swelling by the incision.
And notice a tightness in that thigh area...is that normal?
These are all manifestations of pain which comes in many forms including soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. Tightness is attributable to swelling.
Still using a walker and had surgery on the 24th of March. Should I be?
Since you are only 3 weeks out, yes you should. You will find eventually you start forgetting to use it and get to the other side of the room and realise it's still standing by your chair! That's the time to start trying life without it.

Have you ever visited the BoneSmart.org website? At the top of the page are scrolling comments taken off the forum. The one showing currently is this

[Bonesmart.org] Crossing over to my new beginning


- but don't set yourself by his 13 days. I was on 2 crutches for almost a month. Each person has a different journey and so far as this is concerned, you are doing fine. You just need to up your pain meds a bit to get rid of all those other issues. At 3 weeks it's far too early to not be taking them.
 
Almost off all meds just take Tylenol once in a while. The only thing is surgery was March 24th and there is still swelling at the site. Is that normal?

And below the knee of the surgical leg it feels kind of numb on the front part of the leg. Anyone else have that?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @barbaranna! Good to hear from you! I honestly think you're doing better than I am...I am still taking a half pain pill occasionally and still take a whole one at bedtime. I cant control the pain yet with just Tylenol.

I have numbness all around the thigh area up to the incision and all around to the back. I still have occasional sharp pains that feel like a bunch of needles stabbing me on my outer thigh...from what I read here the numbness goes away for some but lingers for a long time for others. If my TKR is any indication, it took at least 6 months before the numbness went away but it finally did.

I have some swelling but just around the thigh. Maybe you should ask your OS if you should be concerned about that but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

How is your activity? Are you moving around pretty well? I'm still hobbling at best and am not making as much progress as I would like in walking normally.

We will get there eventually! Hope you continue to do well!
Pam
 
The only thing is surgery was March 24th and there is still swelling at the site. Is that normal?
Honey, of course that's normal - you are not yet 4 weeks out! Things don't heal up that quickly.
Almost off all meds just take Tylenol once in a while.
And most people need to take pain meds regularly a lot longer than 3½ weeks. Get back on a regular routine, even if it's only Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day.
And below the knee of the surgical leg it feels kind of numb on the front part of the leg. Anyone else have that?
It happens. Sometimes the incision crosses a small nerve branch that supplies sensation to that part of the leg. Or it might have been damaged during surgery by a retractor or something. It should settle down and normalize eventually but it could take some weeks or even a few months. Nerves heal v-e-r-y slowly!

It also seems we were remiss in our duties and never left you the list of recovery articles.
Bit late in the day but here they are now!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
not using cane or walker anymore yea!!!But swelling still at site and sometimes a pain average of 3 maybe once in a while. when this is over will I be able to do anything ? Things like kneel or ride a exercise bike,mow the lawn etc? just wondering
 
[Bonesmart.org] Crossing over to my new beginning
However, @barbaranna, you need to keep things in perspective. You are just one month post op. You hip and surrounding area have experienced a lot of trauma as a result of this very major surgery you've had. This is just NOT like having your appendix or gall bladder removed where within a week you are feeling pretty normal. There is a lot of healing going on inside where things are still pretty beat up no matter how good the surgical incision looks.

THE SECRET OF SUCCESS with joint replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our hips TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.

Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you. This means keeping yourself from over doing just because at the moment you feel great. Pace yourself, pamper your hip, take deep breathes, relax, and roll with the slow flow of recovery.


Oh, and yes, you'll get back to kneeling, riding a bike, mowing the lawn, dancing, running, jumping; you name it, you can pretty much do it all eventually.
 
@AndisMom Hi how are you doing this week? Off of cane and walker and started to drive...just cant depend and ask people any more when they are busy themselves. I'm a little sore think I have been doing a little to much...tried to wash the windows outside..lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom