Guest viewing is limited

THR Crash and burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I just read part of your posting and you have been thru so much. I do hope the pain get better and that you find the answers you are looking for. Please know we care about you and do take care. :puppysmooze: Tashia :bicycle1:
 
Hi Lynne, I think you need some peace and quiet right now.. Not sure how you can achieve that with such a busy household... You are a champion :)
 
Hi Lynne, just dropped by to check in with you - how is your recovery going? :)
 
Thanks for asking Poppet! I am still having pain and am still taking my meds. Today I went to see my PCP. He is overseeing my meds and seems to think that with all the damage done before my surgery and then after, when I broke my femur, I will probably be taking pain meds for life. I guess only time will tell.
I have since started riding my recumbent exercycle. I have been doing about 25 minutes of riding 5 times a week. It will at least help keep off some of the weight that I've lost, all 10 pounds! I hope to lose at least another 10. Putting on this weight is what did my hip in. I quit smoking 3 years ago and put on almost 25 pounds. Did you know that just the act of smoking will burn 300 calories per day? That's why so many people get fat after they quit smoking. I ate even less after I quit but still gained the weight. I'm now working on getting that weight off. I couldn't do much in the exercise department before the surgery. I couldn't even use the exercycle.
I will be seeing my surgeon on the 24th of this month. I hope he will tell me that the xrays show healing.
 
Hi Lynne, I will refuse to believe for your sake that you will be on pain meds for the rest of your life.. The body is a little miracle factory Lynne and no one can make that statement about the future (your PCP)... No one has that crystal ball that most of us would love to have honey!

Good luck for the 24th... If the OS confirms healing, there is hope.. :)
 
I went for my 3 month check up and the doctor said that everything looks ok. He said that the swelling in my foot might go down in the next few months or maybe it won't. I asked him about the pain that I have on the outside of my hip just under my butt and he was at a loss as to what could be causing it. He wants me to wait another 3 months and if I still have that pain, he will investigate it further. He also gave me orders for another 3 months of PT. YAY!!! I enjoy PT and that's one way of keeping me focused on exercising!
 
I looked at the definition of piriformis syndrome and the symptoms are not even close to what I'm experiencing. I have had sciatica for 30 years so I'm quite familiar with it. This is more like a pinching or stabbing pain and it's just in that one spot. The thing that aggravates it the most is when I'm sitting and I lean forward. That will usually cause the sharp pain. Once it starts, it's almost like it's sore so whatever I do after only makes it hurt more. It doesn't radiate. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the top wire around my femur.
 
Oh, I never heard that before - you have a wire at the top of your femur? Do you have xrays?
 
If you look back in this thread, you will see my xrays where I broke the femur and the doctor had to put 6 metal wires with a 12 inch strut bone graft.
 
Josephine, after looking at the xrays, do you think it's possible that the placement of the wire is what's causing the pain? The pain under the butt and towards the side.
 
To be honest, I'm not sure. Perhaps you could indicate the precise location of that pain from this chart.

[Bonesmart.org] Crash and burn
 
It would be in the bottom quarter of R3 or maybe even a bit lower...almost to the bottom of R3.
 
Make that L3 :heehee: I can't tell my left from my right!
 
Well, apart from the fact that there are no wires anywhere near there, that's actually where the piriformis is!
 
I took the picture you posted and circled on it where the pain is.
Is it near where the wires are? I was trying to look on the xrays to see
if it was close to the area but I wasn't having much luck with it.
[Bonesmart.org] Crash and burn
 
Hi Lynne

I was wondering if it could be the Iliotibial Tract..

This is a thick fibrous reinforcement of the tensor fascia lata. It is found on the lateral surface of the thigh. This band originates from the crest of the ilium and inserts on the lateral condyle of the tibia.

I have a tool called Muscle Pro which is a 3D interactive application.. Google it.. Let me know if you want more info.. Happy to provide
 
I Googled it and WOW! What an awesome application! If I ever had a need for something to learn the muscles of the body with, that would be the app that I would use.
The muscle you suggested goes down the leg. This pain doesn't move. It is just at that one spot. The main thing that will aggravate it is for me to be sitting and lean forward.
 
Glad you liked the application Lynne... It is my 'go to' for information re muscles.. You can drill down, remove muscle layers and that shows the attachments..

Don't forget you can feel pain at any place on the muscle.. and if there is a ligament attachment deep that can cause heaps of unexplained pain :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom