THR Crash and burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
An exercise ball is one of thse massive inflateable balls. There are lots of exercises you can use them for but I am just using mind for the squats as it makes it easier, takes the pressure off my back.

Do you have a PT person you can ask about which exercises would be suitable at your stage in recovery?

Ann
 
Thank you! I will add those exercises to my list. I am already doing the clam shells. You mention an exercise ball, can you explain? Is it like a tennis ball or larger? How would you use it?

An exercise ball is a big inflated ball used to help build core stability. You place the ball between you and the wall and squat. Start very slow and go only as far as is comfortable. If you haven't done any glute work they may complain. Easy does it! [Bonesmart.org] Crash and burn
 
I put a call in to the OS to see how long I should wait to see if the "twisty ties" finally callus over. They weren't in the office on Friday so the receptionist said that he would call me back with an answer on Monday. I am so tired of these damn things. They feel like all they are doing is drilling a hole through my leg every time I move. I want them out.
 
Oh Lynne, they do sound painful. I hope you get some answers on Monday... fingers crossed for you honey - take care :)
 
Lynne, I just read this entire thread, and I am so sorry for all you've been through. You are amazing, and so is this forum.

Along with all the others, I'll be anxious to hear what answers you get on Monday.
 
Hi Lynne,

You know I have checked in to your thread a couple of times and in pondering your situation I thought of another THR person that had the wiring that you have and I wondered if we tag her nanamac; she might speak to you about her experience. She is a lovely lady and used to write on the forum frequently. If she doesn't check back in your thread, maybe you could send a message to her directly and correspond with her that way.

I do hope that you get some answers from your OS about those wires and it does sound somewhat optimistic that Josephine says removal would be a much more minimal procedure.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie for the info on nanamac!! I will definitely send her an email as soon as I am done here. I would love to chat with someone who has been through what I'm going through. I am glad to hear everyone is doing so well but I have nothing to compare my progress against. I sometimes feel like I'm comparing apples to oranges and find it hard to really connect to anyone on here as they haven't had what I've had.
I'm still waiting for my OS to return my call. If he doesn't call by noon tomorrow, I will put in another call to him.
 
I hear you Lynn. I find myself thinking the same thing sometimes. My muscle/tendon--or whatever it is--problem really gets to me and I think how my recovery would have been a breeze if not for that injury happening. It is so painful. I get very angry--the hip itself is fine ... why did the muscle/tendon injury have to rain on my parade????!!!! I start to feel like the odd man out.


Many of us here have had difficulties. Dianemarie's nerve damage ... or Cathy's "can't get rid of that cane completely no matter how hard I try" thing going on ... or, Poppet's "everytime I do something new I hurt in other areas" ... Although it is kind of comparing apples to oranges, the common thread is that many of us have odd, unexpected, very frustrating things that have happened to us in the surgery or recovery process that has delayed things--no matter what it is, it's is SO frustrating for sure!! I know I get to the point where I want to just chop my leg off and grow a new one--keep the hip, I just want a new leg that doesn't hurt! I just can't believe that I'm still popping Percocet to get me through the day at 16 weeks post op! My problem was so preventable--grrrrrr!

So, although we don't all share the same hiccup in the recovery, there really are many people here getting through recovery where it hasn't been clear sailing. Odd too, how it sometimes happens with no rhyme or reason--just like your fracture happened after the surgery--who could have seen that coming?? Frustrating!! Maybe things will get a lot better after your wire(s) are removed. That has to be crazy to deal with. Keep us posted.

Regardless, know that there are others here who can identify with your frustration. Not that anyone would be happy that there are others suffering ... but I think you know what I mean. And, there are many other nice people who surely empathize with your (and the rest of our) situation(s). Kindness is rampant here. :-)

Dorothy
 
Thanks Dorothy, I needed that! I needed to be reminded that we are all fighting our own problems even though we all have a hip replacement or two in common.
Hopefully, my doctor will return my call today and I will find out how much longer I have to wait for my "twisty ties" to callus over.
Did I mention that someone in my house got into my oxycodone? Yeah, they took almost half the bottle so now I will be suffering for the next 3 weeks until I get a refill. I think I know who did it but I can't say for sure. Instead of taking it 4 times a day, like I need, I only have enough for twice a day. This really SUCKS and if I ever find out who the person is that took them, I will whip their a$$es! They were always kept in my purse and my purse was always with me except for when I was in the shower. That's when I think they were taken.
It's almost time for me to get out of here. I have PT in an hour so I have to get ready...
 
I am afraid that nanamac won't be responding to her tag. She said a firm goodbye about a year ago and hasn't been back since.
[Bonesmart.org] Crash and burn
 
Lynne, I just want to add that I was in no way trying to minimize what you are going through ... I just wanted to help you see that you are not alone in your struggle and that you have plenty of company :-) and lots of support here :-) :-) :-)

I've very sad to hear about your oxycodone thief! Gosh, nothing is safe, even in your own home.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy, I didn't think you were trying to minimize what I'm going through. I never got that impression at all! :)
Jo, thanks for letting me know about nanamac. That's a shame that she won't be back.
 
I put a call into my OS on Friday. I finally get a call back from his PA on Tuesday. He says that he will have to ask the doctor about it and will get back to me. He calls me back today, Thursday and I find out that I have to make an appointment for the doctor to see me. He wants me to get an xray first to make sure that everything is where it should be. I should have just made the appointment to see him first. It would have saved time.
 
Oh Lynne, how frustrating that you are on the merry-go-round with the Doc's.. but get the x-rays and get some answers, that is what I want for you... this has been going on for too long... you are one very strong patient woman :)
 
Lynne, I'm glad you have an appointment scheduled. You might want to be a little more proactive than usual when you meet with your surgeon. I find the hip surgeons depend a lot on patient feedback. My surgeon was initially big on the "wait and see" approach to my post op groin pain ... but after I sent him an email flat out telling him I couldn't stand it any longer and needed him to do more about it ... and that I was at the point where he could even saw off the leg and reattach it if that meant I would be pain free (well, not really, but I wanted him to absolutely know where I was coming from and get the message that wait and see wasn't working for me)--then he knew I needed something done. Then, he did the muscle injection, ordered blood tests to rule out infection, prescribed PT, and did the Lyrica trial. It's tough for them to now how patients are feeling unless you tell them point blank and leave no room for mis-understanding.

Good luck and I hope you get some action and relief.

Dorothy
 
The pain I get from the "twisty tie" isn't constant. It's only when my leg is twisted but once it gets irritated, watch out! The pain will usually continue for days. I'm just afraid he will say something along the lines of "then don't do that if it makes it hurt!".
 
Lynne, That's when you simply say to him that the pain is not acceptable to you, and "What are we going to do about it???" He should discuss your options with you and then you can make an informed decision. If he's any decent physician, he will not blow you off if you make it very clear that this is not something you are willing to live with.

Persistence pays. Don't be afraid to be nicely, and persistently assertive.

Dorothy
 
I went to see the doctor today. "Everything looks good so I will see you in 6 months." Great. He said that he didn't want to do anything until everything was well healed in 6 months. So I guess in the mean time I will continue with my oxycontin twice a day and my oxycodone for the next 6 months. At the end of the 6 months, I hope they will FINALLY fix the damn wires. Then they will probably have to pay to put me through a detox program to get all the drugs out of my system.
Ain't medicine great?
I think it sucks.
 
So Lynne, are you going to wait another six months, or have you decided to see someone else? I would be really disappointed in and unlikely to trust, a doc that kept on with the "just give it more time" line. You have been hurting and uncomfortable for months and months, right? Well, whatever you decide, I sure hope you get some relief.

All the best
Suki
 
So frustrating for you Lynne, you have to give yourself a gold star for patience. You are a strong woman!

Don't worry about the drugs, they will taper you off slowly..

Just take care of yourself physically and emotionally as much as you can.. Six months will fly by with the holidays fast coming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom