THR Crash and burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find my feet still ache 9 months down the track (similar symptoms to hwat you are describing) and yet I had no problem with them before surgery.

I have just put it down to different body posture and weight going on my feet differently.. Feet do become very important in recovery though Lynne and I had to try several different new shoes before I got the right ones.. Recently I put a new pair of trainers for my NW and what a shock they are.. A very good brand especially made for NW, but oh so snug! I can only keep them on for a few hours..

Do hope your footsies feel better soon :)
 
This isn't a foot ache. It's actually so painful that I'm walking with my crutches and keeping all weight off that foot.
 
Lynne is there any redness or swelling on that foot? I had an infection on my heel from sleeping on my back post op.
 
I had my son take a look at it because I can't see the bottom but he said to him it looks like the part just below the ankle is discolored, the ankle is swollen and he said that when I hold both feet up, the heel looks swollen too. Every time I hang my foot/leg down either to stand or sit in a chair, that foot swells up again. Yes, that's my operated on leg. We don't see any breaks in the skin for an infection to get in. Did you have a break in the skin?
 
Maybe you need to get it checked out Lynne for your own peace of mind. Especially as you can't bear weight on it now.. Do hope all is ok :)
 
Yes Lynne, I did have a break in the skin but the infection started as you are saying - swollen around the back of the heel. I would suggest a trip to your family doctor just to make sure nothing is going on. Please update us when you can!
 
I had put a call into my OS yesterday morning. He finally called me back today at noon but by then I had already made an appointment with my PCP. That's what he suggested I do as he was not able to see me for a while. I went to PT and he looked at my heel and said that it probably wasn't plantar fasciitis. I went to the PCP after PT and he said that it was the Achilles tendon. He wasn't sure how damaged it is as my foot/leg is still swollen from the surgery back in July. He wants me to wear a "left ankle ace sleeve" and get an xray done tomorrow morning. He is just making sure that I didn't crack the calcaneus. I will find out on Thursday if I did.
 
Well not good news Lynne! But I'm glad you got seen and can get that x-ray. Hope the pain isn't too bad.
 
I have no pain in my heel IF I am walking on tip toes. I look funny walking like that with the cane but it could have been worse! It could have been on my right leg, the one that has my healthy hip! I don't know what I would do then! The doctor did give me some diclofenac that I can take twice a day as needed. I will get those xrays after PT this morning.
 
Can you get some crutches until this gets a bit better? Much more stability than a cane.

I took diclofenac for back issues for years. Great stuff. Just be sure you take it with food as some people have tummy troubles with it. Let us know how the x-ray goes!
 
I got the results for the xrays I had taken of my foot. It wasn't plantar fasciitis and it wasn't the Achilles tendon. The xray didn't show anything but judging from where my pain is, the doctor thinks I may have a hairline fracture of the calcaneus. He advised me to wear a support sleeve over my ankle and to rest, elevate and ice the heel. I don't know how that will work while I'm doing PT.
 
Lynne

Well, OWWW! I am sorry for your continuing bad luck, but hopefully your PT will know how to accomplish the two seemingly contradictory goals. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am sure you will be on the back of that motorcycle in no time!

All the best
Suki
 
Thanks! I've totally given up of even thinking of getting on the back of Mikes motorcycle until sometime next year. I still have crutches that I use on occasion. When my heel is really sore, the crutches work well! I HOPE I will never have need for the walker again! That is going to be put in the basement tomorrow. Alternating between the cane and crutches works well around the house. When I'm outside using the cane, I try very hard to walk without putting any pressure on the heel. I've limped all my life so what's another month's worth???
Every time I have something medical done, something always seems to go wrong. Now you all know why I waited over 30 years to have the hip replaced. I just pray to God that this is the last thing to go wrong this time around but I'm not holding my breath.
 
I use my walker to carry my full laundry basket around to save my back... I smile when I do that because I know I don't need it to walk, it is a joke now!

You certainly have had your share of bad luck Lynne, I do hope life is plain sailing for you now :)
 
Now that it's been over 4 weeks, I'm just now starting to be able to walk on my heel. It still hurts most days but at least I am putting my full weight on it.
I know that I had read somewhere here in this forum that someone had the metal wires around their femur. I can't remember who it was. I wanted to ask if they feel that their muscles or something inside the leg is getting "hung up" on the wires? Am I the only one that feels that? One minute my thigh is fine and then I get a feeling like a "snap", almost like a rubber band snap inside my leg near the incision and then the entire side of my leg is sore to touch. This is always along the incision and the sides of it. Sometimes it will last a few hours and sometimes a few days. After the I feel the snap, the pain will be more off and on rather than constant. I wonder if my insides are getting hung up on the bone graft too or if it's just on the wires?
 
Hi Lynne,

My, that sounds uncomfortable and painful, I feel for you.

I am going to tag Jo to have a chat about your concerns. I can imagine how upsetting that must be and difficult to stay up beat. But you are strong... let's see what Jo thinks Josephine;
 
I think that may just be a resurgence of post-op pain and/or you are doing too much. You're only 8 weeks out from a really complex and major bit of surgery. What pain meds are you taking - how much and how often?
 
Hi Lynne, I've just been reading about your heel pain. I know how painful that is. I had a congenital dislocated hip and my leg has been lengthened by approx two inches. I have been and still am(six months post op) suffering from bad heel pain. My PT thinks that it is due to the leg lenthenng and therefore tightly stretched tendons and muscles which makes sense really. I have been advised to do hamstring stretches, holding for the count of twenty, rest then repeat....ten times. Perhaos you can ask PT if this will help you too

Take care

Ann
 
What great advice Ann, sure hope it helps you Lynne..

I have been a member of the forum almost a year now and I am still learning useful tips - thanks Anniepops;
 
I am still on some very heavy pain meds. I take 20 mg of oxycontin twice a day and 20 mg of oxycodone as needed every 4 hours. I have been cutting some of the oxycodone and substituting some tramadol. On days when I really hurt, I take the tramadol with the oxycodone. I know that I have been taking the drugs long enough that I have built up a tolerance for them.
This morning is an example of what I'm talking about. When I got up, I felt the usual aches and stiffness. After taking my meds, it went away. About an hour later, I went to bend my leg to sit on a chair and something in the thigh now feels like it's "caught" on something. I can't bend my leg like I normally have been because of that grabbing pain. I don't know what it is. I have mentioned it to the doctor and he doesn't think it's anything important and will work itself out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom