Guest viewing is limited

THR Craftdee's Made It Through

Status
Not open for further replies.
O-kay @LaxMom @PhatTxDiva and @Hoppy Nanny, you're more than welcome (I'm surprised you haven't had your invite in the mail... everyone else on the planet seems to be coming:loll:) I figure if I leave....err, two days ago, I can manage to pick you all up and get back in time, but only if we skip the mall @PhatTxDiva
Love the idea @LaxMom of shaking "any parts of us that still move" - and am impressed by your optimism in thinking that shaking said things won't cause 'em to fall off:rotfl: @Hoppy Nanny just wants to show off those heels she bought recently, and is obviously prepared to travel 20,000 kilometres to do it:heehee:
I can't really come to fetch you (even though I'm allowed to drive now :yay:, just braggin') as I have to do "the cake", but you're all welcome, just let me know what time you'll be arriving and I'll have my greeter at the airport.
Now on to more serious things: So sad that you feel like poo-poo Angela, :sad: probably the take home message from THAT one is don't monkey around with your meds, well not yet or as much anyway. You could always "do a @LaxMom " and have more major surgery so they INCREASE your meds, best ask her if it's worth it first though:umm:I seriously would struggle to cover any more "biggies" this year, I feel sort of resourceless... I know it's not a word, but "empty" is too dramatic, "exhausted" implies tired and even "depleted" isn't right... I just don't feel I have the resources available, so new word it is. Of course I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and those resources would come out of hiding, but sitting here right now I feel kinda fragile in some spiritual/emotional way; I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people who've had a few issues like mine over the last nine months, I just want a hiatus:yes:
Oh, and my butt's sore; I was standing up - cake decorating, well actually trying to work out the maths to make a cone for the top of the circus tent, split into segments to colour alternate red and white. It took me about an hour!! about 58 minutes in I realized I could have done that bit sitting down; I hadn't sat down in the first place because I thought it would only take ten minutes and my wedge cushion was in the other room and the added 30 seconds to go and get it wasn't efficient:loll:Then I did at least two hours of actual decorating (I'm short, have to stand to do what a lot of people can sit to do!!) Felt fine-ish, had a couple of breaks in there, butt feels like it's falling off today - take that:arrow:
When I sat down this morning to do this most important task, check out my Bone Buddies it actually feels quite swollen/hard up to the scar (but not to the front, and no redness etc) so I think I'm going to have to work out today how to either a) Do more work sitting down or b) Strap an ice pack to my butt so I can stand and work... of course there's always c) Go to DIL and see grandchildren, get nice coffee (DIL is a coffee-phile, worth the trip!) and have son's cake be a bit simpler. Mmmm, bit hard to skimp on the cake, I'm already getting the "you're amazing Mumsy" texts, and that was when I sent him pics of the uniced cakes (six different colours, so hard to do... adding different food coulour to each batch, lol) sigh, gotta please the fans:tada: maybe I can get DIL to bring some super coffee - or maybe she could use my coffee machine to make coffee like hers, I sure as hell can't... it all just tastes like "coffee" when I make it:rotfl: and it would mean the twins being "loose" here - okay, scrub last idea, I love them to bits but "counterproductive" wouldn't begin to cover it
Hope you're all on the upswing, enjoying the weather if you're able to be in it, or enjoying being out of the weather if you're able to NOT be in it depending on it's desirability... nice day here, they keep forecasting showers, we keep not having any - no doubt they'll come Saturday afternoon in the middle of the Christravaganza!!!
Happy Healing
Donna xx
 
OMG @craftdee, you crack me up!! You need to write a book. Seriously. Your writing keeps making me think of Erma Bombeck.
 
@craftdee Do take a pic of the fab cake!
May I come, too?

I just wanted to say that I had whole body stiffness til about week six maybe; crazy awful in the morning til I got up. Then it went away. Whew....

I do find your posts amusing, as does @PhatTxDiva !
 
So true on the writing @craftdee and @PhatTxDiva ! I live for the daily Donna blog. And, I am soooo honored that along with resourceless I have my own phrase in 'do a LaxMom' - truly honored! And yeah, you are on to me, this is why I had 2 surgeries in 5 weeks- it was all for the meds. Right...

I do get what you are saying about being resourceless. There is just so much energy we have - physically, mentally, spiritually, and when it is gone, it is gone. I felt like that when I was running around taking care of my mom. Actually, my sister thinks I 'did a LaxMom' to get out of mom duty! That might actually be closer to the truth. But you do so many things. Maybe you could just try to do a few less things for everyone? I am pretty sure they would all adore you just the same. How could they not?

Anyhow, tell your airport greeters to be looking for 4 (@MajorHeidi) wild women, ready to party, all with some sort of limp, one with heels! :rotfl: And for goodness sake, please call off the airport drug sniffing dogs!

Xoxoxo
 
@MajorHeidi OF COURSE you can come! When @LaxMom said about looking for 4 wild women in various degrees of Post op limpiness, all I could think of was.... can you imagine the metal detectors going off... the poor things will have a melt down:loll: Incidentally, we don't just have drug sniffing dogs here, we have "Fruit sniffing dogs"... you think I'm making this up, but I'm NOT, cute little beagles come and sit next to you if you've got an apple core in your pocket!! I mean I presume it's all vegetable matter, but it was an apple core in MY pocket... and no, you're not allowed to pat them - even though they're sooooo cute.
We take our biosecurity very seriously, we have the Beagles and we're prepared to use them
 
Oh funny!
I grew up with Tippy the beagle, then as an adult I had George 'the beagle'. So loved my beagles....

Thanks for inviting me. :friends:
 
Today was my first follow up with my surgeon since surgery. My shinny hip looks great. I am all cleared to do all my regular activities. I am officially done with the recovery. I will continue with PT till end of this year. I am also going to do acupuncture to loosen up, my thigh. AVN sucks until my left one gives problem. Goal is make both of my legs strong!!!!
 
Wait for me, wait for me! Can we make it five wild ladies -- and I only hobble a little when I'm tired or go to fast -- and I posted proof on my thread that I can "shake it!" :rotfl:

You are doing just great! Isn't being able to drive great? Sometimes. But, alas, so is being taken care of . . . my hubby is still getting gas for me, and my son will still run errands since I'm still "so tired," and I think my hip hurts a little. :old:
 
Oh I can't wait for pictures of THAT cake....amazeballs!!!
Just watched the video for 'All about Da Bass ' (aka Da Gait ) and I'm practising the dance moves for the party... @craftdee you might have to moderate your moves due to your restrictions but I'm sure we can all manage somehow.....I love that song & it's spooky because I went to my granddaughters option evening last night and she played that on the bass...I couldn't help laughing to myself......thinking of all us BoneSmarties adopting that song...... She also sang Jackie Wilsons 'Higher & Higher ' in her vocal harmony group.....another one for us all!!!
If you can shake @Me2 then...you're in!!!
Just wondering @craftdee if you've got a 'Perching stool' ...that so helped me when I was cooking after my THR...as higher than a chair & more secure than a stool.
Well....I'm so looking forward to this party.....hope your son doesn't mind us gate crashing ......my feet are twitching already!

Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@craftdee , I think you need a bigger cake with all us party crashers! Please do post a photo of the cake. We all live so vicariously. :loveshwr:

@Hoppy Nanny -so glad you are practicing those moves! For some strange reason, this song comes on every time I approach my hospital. I do believe it is our anthem. For my knee recovery, I have taken to watching Dancing with the Stars - not sure you know what that is in the UK, but you probably get the picture. A girl must dream of dancing someday!

@Me2 - aptly named in this case! I can swing down to Pittsburg, then we get @MajorHeidi in VA, then on to TX for @PhatTxDiva - then on to the UK for Hoppy. Is that everyone? :rotfl:
 
Roll Up Roll Up, come one come all...everyone's welcome You too @Me2 :heehee: I'll have to check your thread later, got to see those moves! Sorry, can't make a bigger cake, this one's just about done me in... and it's only half finished:rotfl: I don't really like doing "fresh" cakes, they're so sudden death... in fact I only do them for family, lucky my son's a good 'un or I would have pled invalid status:swoon: Now a perching stool really would have been a good idea @Hoppy Nanny, I had to give up trying to jam my wedge cushion into my craft chair, it doesn't fit and the wheels on it are deadly; standing became the only option, hence my tiredness... a tip for next hip... though I'm hoping to be too doolally to do cakes by the time I get that done, it will still be good for "everyday"!
I seriously know you are NOT going to believe me @LaxMom , (I don't make any of this stuff up, really I don't!!) but guess what sport my sons did for five and nine years respectively... Dancesport (Ballroom dancing)!! They both gave it up when they turned sixteen as you have to go to a different age group, Adult, so 16 year olds are up against 25 year olds (that's sort of peak time, being up against flagging 40 year olds wasn't the problem:heehee:). The expense was a killer for us too, both of the boys' last partners went on though: Matt's partner Emily Reilly danced with an Aussie Tennis Star Todd Woodbridge on DANCING WITH THE STARS!!!!! and Chris's partner Ashlie Williamson went on to win the World Youth Championships with her new partner (some Danish dude, with loads of dosh!!) Chris & Ash won the Junior Australian Championship in Canberra, and Matt & Emily got into the finals of the Australian Open Championships in Melbourne (much more prestigious) from a field of 300+, so they were no slouches. Since the boys gave it up they've danced not a step... not even at Matt and Elaine's wedding, sigh, all those lessons and sitting at practice. We did make lifelong friendships out of it though, with the other suckers who shelled out and showed up three times a week! A couple will be at Chris's party... you can meet them then:wink:
It's funny too @Me2 I have been able to drive since Friday, and was desperate to do so... and have driven exactly ZERO times since driving the 1km back from my Mum's after the OS visit! I've just been too busy... still it's nice to know I CAN, makes me feel less dependent and isolated.
Well, I've sat here and iced and heated (didn't know what to do for the best, so I iced my aching butt and put a heat pack on my aching groin, must say it's done the trick!) I'm off to bed, more cake wrangling to do tomorrow, and I've got a card to design for one of my design teams too... oh, and hubby (Stefan) and our workers are going to finish the "heavy lifting" in the pool area and garden tomorrow, so it's pizza for lunch... which should be interesting as I don't "do" Barbecues or Pizza Ovens - if they light it, I'll keep it going but that's it!
One of the lads is from Italy and he is bringing all the makings for the pizzas AND a Tiramisu... he made one for us last week and it was beyond gorgeous, so I suppose the least I can do is keep the oven going - the irony is it takes about three hours for the thing to heat up, and the pizzas take about a minute and a half to cook! Probably one of the reasons we only use it when there's a crowd and not just for the two of us.
I thought I'd share a pic of the cake I did for my hubby for his 60th - which was after my fall, and the day before my kidney stone, see how us oldies keep track of time :rotfl: He loves pigs, so I did a pigs in mud cake... all the decorations are made from fondant, stones, flowers.. pigs bums:loll:

[Bonesmart.org] Craftdee's Made It Through

G'night
Donna xx
 
That cake is outstanding!! Kind of makes it painful to cut into and eat.
 
@craftdee, that is gorgeous. Any attempts I have ever made look so feeble compared to that. You are so artistic and talented! My mom used to make wedding cakes when I was a kid and I know exactly how hard it is to do this kind of thing. Well done!!!

Loved the DWTS tidbid about Oz. Today I was watching yet another old DWTS on On Demand, and one of the pro dancers won some big thing in Australia. Of course, I cannot remember her name.
 
Thanks @PhatTxDiva , it's funny but once a cake is finished and gone to it's party I just think of it as "cake"; if someone were to put a tiny mark on it BEFORE I thought it was ready, whoooaaa, but once finished I have no problems cutting them up - I still have a couple of the little pigs sitting by my phone, they basically last forever - or until you get really desperate for something sweet and don't mind risking a tooth:rotfl:
I used to make wedding cakes too, @LaxMom, the last one I did was for my Son and DIL, it was a fruit cake so I had more time to work on it and I was very pleased with the result (my DIL had soft pink/peach roses in her bouquet and they're my favourite to make from sugarpaste so it really was a labour of love) I stopped making cakes for other people... first I stopped for the shop I was supplying as I was getting ripped off, and then private clients - let's just say the stress isn't worth what you get paid! You've got me wondering about the pro dancer you saw on DWTS; could be the Australasian Open (?) Two of the boys' teachers (Jason Gilkinson & Peta Roby) started the stage show Burn The Floor that's toured the world -it's really BIG now, could be them (?) It's odd but the "Professionals" in the industry are generally the ones that can no longer be competitive in the Open field.. they have the technique but it really is a high energy sport, so young and fit beats not so young and knackered:snork: Matt's ex partner Emily turned professional so she could get paid to teach Japanese... they LOVE Dancesport and pay WELL... and you can't enter Opens if you get paid for dancing in any way - we ran a lot of fundraisers to finance the interstate and international trips; if I never see a raffle ticket again it'll be too soon:loll:
Enough waffle, I just checked your Knee thread @LaxMom... looks like things are really looking up, I'm so glad that your'e finding some joy again in life... that joy is very important:yahoo:
Well I'm off to do some decorating, I seriously hope that @MajorHeidi is right about the body stiffness going away... I still wake up soooo stiff, any day now it should go away:beg:
Happy Healing everyone :loveshwr:
 
Thanks for checking my knee thread out. I don't get as many hits as I did with the hip. I think we just all found a good group that liked to chat together. Still trying to find my groove on the knee side! But, my knee twin (same day of surgery, like @xtina16405 was for my hip) is great - we compare notes all the time and are running very parallel, which makes one feel, well - normal! hahaha!

The Aussie dancing pro was a woman - Sharna Burgess, I had to go look her up. https://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/cast/sharna-burgess I watched 2 more hours of that show today. There is something so compelling about having a body part not working, watching these beautiful dancers, and dreaming that one day I might be less awkward in my own body. I used to dance a lot in college - not professionally, but just enjoyed going out dancing and was good at it. I do miss that feeling.

I understand how you feel about the cakes. By the time I got married, and mind you I was a late bloomer - got married at 31 - my mom had stopped making them, so I had to just go with whoever the place where our wedding was used. it was not a spectacular cake, by any means. After cake decorating, my mom took up quilting well into her retirement years. She was especially good at applique type quilting. An great example of what she used to do would be a Baltimore quilt, here is an image: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ej4M5ZtW...AAABNU/HLOjOKsbovE/s1600/Camera+Canon+003.JPG She could quilt 10 stitches per inch, truly amazing stuff.

I only bring this up because I know you will say, funny you should mention that... But seriously, I know you are very artistic and would like the story. My mom would love you if she could meet you. Heck, we might as well get her to Chris's party since we are all coming anyway! She can out dance us all!

Hugs,
Sharon
 
Love that piggy cake @craftdee. My daughter made one for my MIL's 80th this year....

We have 'Strictly Come Dancing ' in the UK @LaxMom which I think is like your DWTS......I must admit I do envy them being able to move so well....in my dreams...but it's great to watch.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @craftdee. I hope the party was lots of fun and a huge success. I also hope you did not overdo it, but I fear you may have.

And of curse, we are all dying for pictures.

Hugs,
Sharon




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom