Guest viewing is limited

THR Craftdee's Made It Through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the swimming easy... I started with pool walking, then went to modified breaststroke (above water).... Frog kick worried me but was ok.
We have a polar vortex cold wave to hit next few days coming. Ugh...
Enjoy that pool!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I love the sound of your pool & the story of your twins...it's strange how kids have such different characteristics.
I'm envying you just walking out to swim. We have to drive to the country club & then it's indoors now at this time of year.....
Keep up the good work & thanks for the virtual hugs.....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@craftdee The comment : we play the hand we're dealt - is the summation of our lives. It wraps up all
we are and all we will be, til we go to where each of us ultimately go to.
:SUNsmile:
 
Love swimming. I have 2 more weeks until I can immerse myself in water. It will be a good workout. Take it easy and slow.
 
Oh I'm sure you'll love getting back in the water if you love swimming @xtina16405 Follow your own advice and take it easy and slow:cool: I was surprised to how nervous I was getting in and out... probably because I normally dive in, commit and execute before you give yourself a chance to wonder how cold it is I say:rotfl:
Being nervous getting out made more sense as the pool surround is different to what we had with our last pool and as yet untested slippery wise - it seems fine, but I am being super cautious so I'll make sure I've got someone to hold my hand for that first/last step for the next few times too.
Don't mean to brag, but it's been a GLORIOUS day here today, blue sky, few fluffy clouds, gentle breeze... or at least that's how it looked from my office window. I've had the windows open, so I know it's been nice temperature wise, but don't think I got to enjoy it - I didn't even have any washing to hang out to use as an excuse to go outside today. I did half an hour on the stationary bike (it didn't even feel like I was going to dislodge something when I got on and off it today, so that's an improvement) and the treadmill ran for twenty minutes... but I did "hop" onto the sides to have a text conversation with my sister so most of that doesn't really count - which is probably why I don't ache:rofsign:
Feeling really good generally actually, most of the incidental aches and pains are fading, the knee still sings out for some attention, but not as bad as it was. I'm sleeping okay (still using the valium, I'll wean off over the next week or so) and am finding that I am still on my back when I wake up rather than waking up because I'm trying to turn from my back... if you see what I mean. Do cheat for half an hour some mornings... but with a pillow!
I am looking forward to Friday and getting the all clear to drive, I am thinking now I should not presume that it's going to happen because I will be devastated if he says "not yet", so I'd better do a reshuffle of my thought processes. Either way, on Friday I will break the back of the twelve weeks of restrictions, which sounded interminable at the start.
I'll have to put some different strategies in place for the second six weeks, as I had plenty of healing icing/medicating/resting to do in the first six that kept me busy... without those distractions I'm likely to fall off the wagon - knowing it probably won't hurt (even though it may do some damage, which is why the restrictions are there after all!) will make it tempting to "just" this time pick that up off the floor, or roll over ect. Ooh, I can see I'm going to need more self control than ever... and more patience; just about exhausted my fund of patience... anyone got any to spare? What do you mean you need it for your own recoveries, kinda selfish if you ask me:rotfl:
I'm clocking off for the day, well technically I already clocked off when I jumped on here a while ago when ostensibly checking our banking on the internet. Hubby's home, cuppa's drunk, may take Rocky for a little walk, he looked at that treadmill with such disdain earlier I feel I owe him:dogwalk:
Which makes me think about what you said @MajorHeidi... I don't know where I'm going, but I hope they've got their seatbelts on... they won't know what's hit them:snork:
Enjoy your whatever...:martini: xx
 
Oh yes..getting out of the pool for the first time was nerve wracking....I made sure I had non slip shoes at the ready!
Do hope you get your all clear to drive.....the precautions shouldn't stop you doing that but....let us know as you sound like you will be zooming around soooo.........take it easy....


I know your six weeks out @craftdee but don't jettison the resting/icing just yet....you will still need to take it easy! Ask Claire @MajorHeidi about the risks of overdoing it.....you still will need to take it slow & steady....it's not the risk of dislocation...it's not upsetting that muscles & soft tissue that are still very much healing!

Well...so glad your weather is glorious cos ours is naff! Wet, wet & more wet..thunder , lightening , very, very frightening!!!!!

Hope you have a good day...Chrissie x




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't know what happened to my picture..trying again!
[Bonesmart.org] Craftdee's Made It Through



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
HaHa @Hoppy Nanny ... though I've got to say first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was that it was my Dad giving me a lift and I'm the terrified looking kid in the back :rotfl:
I had a subtle nudge in the ribs last night about overdoing it... I was going to take the dog for a walk, still not 100% confident on my own with that, but hubby had started doing some more of the stone cladding on the pump house so I went and helped him. I've attached a pic of the famous Pump House, we've actually done the other side of it now... so it was a lot of stone as there's no gate! I was only carrying the panels (I suppose you call them) a few metres from the box to the wall, and they only weigh about a kilo or couple of pounds each so I don't know why I got so tired.... oh, I did clean both sides of two panels of glass fence and the laundry sliding door while I was out there, mmm, that could be it... anyway, that old energy drain hit me (after I got tea ready) Hubby looked at me and said, you look so tired! I was going to say I AM tired and I just sort of folded up and blubbed a bit - must have looked like an overtired toddler:boohoo:
We decamped to our regular pre-op evening spot in the lounge (we've been staying in the family room in the evenings because that's where the recliners are!) and he set me up nicely with hot drink and chocolate to watch some QI and Eggheads we've recorded, shows I love (you'll be familiar with those, I'm sure Chrissie) and I watched about ten minutes then fell asleep! Unfortunately I did manage to scoff about six squares of choccie before conking out, if only I loved celery the same way:loll:
Anyway, it was a timely reminder, and at least I didn't overdo it muscle wise, everything feels okay this morning. I surprised myself though by staying in bed for nearly ten hours!!... we were in bed by 10.15, I got up to go to the loo and let the dog out at 4.30 and thought I'd stay awake as over six hours is more than I've been getting, but I went back to sleep, then I got up at 5.40 to get hubby off to work (he likes porridge, every day of the year - the absolute stonkers, where it's 25C by 6am we might get away with Weet Bix:heehee: and I make up the iced water etc for our labourers) back in bed by just gone 6 and I didn't get up until 8.... some sort of record:sleep::sleep:
The good news is, the stone work is soooo close to finished, we'll get our boys (labourers, not sons, lol) to come and do the heavy work that's left like taking the dirt out of the flower beds, moving the pile of builders rubble (which has now encroached on to my clothes line area catching at the bottom of beach towels, grrrr), and ripping up the "lawn", well it's sparse grass now but not so long ago it was nicely kept lawn... we've decided it's going to be easier to replace it than resurrect it (certainly easier for me, ripping it out and replacing it will be done "by others" the resurrection would be down to me, a hose and a lot of time!!)
Hubby will do the bits and pieces left that we thought we had plenty of time for when the pool went in - but that was before my year of living dangerously really got into swing:heehee: Should be done before the really hot weather hits, hope so coz you sure don't feel like doing it when it's stinking hot, especially if you work outside as hubby does (I worked with him for some years, as his labourer, whole other story, so I do KNOW how hard it is)
Sorry your weather isn't the best Chrissie, Galileo:snork: We had thunder and lightening yesterday, even got a bit of rain out of it... not much though. Some of hubby's family came over from England a few years ago and they witnessed one of our electrical storms... Andy was driving down the freeway when it hit and he actually stopped:bignono: , called us and asked if it was a freak storm. We've lived here so long we'd forgotten how spectacular they are; torrential rain then nothing at all an hour or so later! Surprising fact (researched for said family's visit) is that Perth, Western Australia has 200mm MORE rain than London England per annum.. over the same number of days (well 108 vs 110)... of course the difference is we have 3200 hours of sunshine a year versus London's 1410, so "drizzle" isn't a word well known here, and I have to say I love that we get blue sky practically every day - living in Wales before coming here I remember grey skies very well:blackcloud:
I'm off, got a few things to do then I'm going (when hubby gets home to take me!) to get my Xray for my OS check up on Friday. I should get a copy of it on disc, so I'll put that up if and when I do... I'm quite excited to see it, it's all been a bit nebulous until now, I'm not even convinced there's a "fake" in there:shrug:
Have a good day, Donna xx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Craftdee's Made It Through
    Pump House 01.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 241
Donna @craftdee Phew..lifting stones, even light ones makes me feel weary even thinking about it! Pump house looks fab..great job!! Now wonder you felt the 'energy drain' !! Glad you got the zzzzzzz's in afterwards ! I bet it will all look great when it's finished .....!
We are converting part of our integral garage into a utility room St the moment and I am being my hubbys labourer, fetching and carrying.....we have some almighty ding dongs ( as Im so used to bring in charge)!!! We are plaster boarding the roof at the weekend, then the plasterer will do his bit & then we can do the good bit of decorating & dressing the room!
Ooh I love QI ( anything with Stephen Fry in it is good ) & Eggheads......It's so good that you can watch anything you like anywhere in the World now. My Grand kids love the Australian Pet Rescue programme .....and so do I now....I usually record it and watch it during my sleepless nights. We have a quiz programme called 'The Chase' which I'm addicted to at the mo.
My hubby eats porridge for breakfast too...winter & summer...he says it keeps him going through until 2pm.....I love it too with blueberries.
Thinking about your sunshine whilst the rain is rattling down again here. Mind, I do love the change in seasons & we've had a stonking, long hot summer ...in fact only just put heating on this year.
Good luck with the X-ray.....Know what you mean......sometimes I think " did I really have a new hip put in". Yikes...I really did!
It's weird looking at this hardware in YOUR body on the X-ray.
Off to Kent (2 hour trip) to see grandkids today......lovely! Hope you have good, pain free day & look forward to the update from your OS on Friday.... Take care..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny and @craftdee Never heard of QI or the other one, but I adore Stephen Fry in Jeeves and Wooster. Have the whole dvd set!
Nice pic of the pumphouse. Lovely stone steps! And, what is that glorious yellow flowered hedge?
 
Hi @MajorHeidi. QI and Eggheads are quiz shows... quite different as QI stands for Quite Interesting and is full of quirky facts, the contestants (generally comedians, Allan Davies is on every show and the guests are usually pretty bright like David Mitchell, Hugh Laurie has been on a few times too) get points for providing interesting facts not necessarily correct answers. Eggheads is standard quiz format; the Eggheads made up of the winners of the top quiz competitions in the UK (such as Mastermind, Millionaire etc) against a team of amateurs. It's much more highbrow than QI which appeals on a different level - Stephen Fry is really in his element as host, a truly remarkable intellect. It's on YouTube too btw.
I sealed the stone on the pump house yesterday, so it's really brought the colour out. The stone steps are the least of it... I'll have to put a pic of all the walls we've built (I moved every rock myself, which led to much teeth grinding from the hubster who would have liked to just get on with it:heehee:) trust me, it's a lot of walls!! The flowering vine is called, believe it or not a Snake Vine (the proper name is Hibbertia Scandens) it's really good, easy to maintain, flowers for a lot of the year and covers quite quickly without being invasive, it's a Native Australian plant, but it tolerates a vast range of climates... don't know if it's available elsewhere in the world. We've certainly got our share... most of our perimeter fences have it as a cover.
@Hoppy Nanny, my hubby lived in Kent before he came here.. Gillingham I think it was, and Upchurch. My aunty lived on the Isle of Sheppey (she ran the hotel) we brought in our last new year in the UK there, leaving on 24th Jan. Enjoy those grandkids:SUNsmile:
I got my Xray yesterday, I still couldn't put my leg out and down, which was a bit disappointing... hopefully Physio will give me some ideas in the afternoon after the OS gives me some clearance to use them in the morning:loll: The machine to burn it to disc was down, grr, so I've got films printed. Once I work out the best way to take a photo of them, I'll put that up here. The cup part is quite large, but my OS did say that there was a lot of damage on the acetabellum so he had to do a lot of what he called "reaming"; I'll discuss it with him tomorrow - I don't know if there's any long term implications, but either way it is what it is:eyebrows:
Have a great day everyone, happy healing:loveshwr:
 
@craftdee - you might want to ask your OS if he did bone grafting - my acetabulum was an absolute mess. My femurs had AVN and pushed through the acetabulum into the pelvic cavity hence bone grafts for this girl!
 
Oh thanks @Poppet... The OS did say the AVN was "extensive" and "widespread" (I don't know the difference between those two terms, but he was quite precise in the use of both, as if they were distinct) I know it was bad in the femur, you could see big black "holes" down the bone in the MRI, and at surgery he said I had eroded over a cm off the length. I will definitely ask him about bone grafts as he said the acetabellum was in far worse shape than he was expecting; damaged and misshapen, possibly since birth making the surgery what he considered complex or technically challenging. I'll add the "bone graft" question to my list... which isn't very long, as I didn't write questions down as I thought of them!
 
@craftdee make sure you take a photo of your X-ray. It is pretty cool to see it. I hope the physio helps you. I think your doing great. So happy you got sleep. It is amazing how great we feel after a good sleep.
 
BIG update, sorry... BIG day!
Hi @xtina16405 I've taken a photo of my Xray... in fact I've taken TWO photos:heehee:
My OS appointment went really well. I walked in, without my cane, and he said "did you have an operation? It doesn't look like it!" He's such a sweetie:loveshwr:.. I can't believe I'm losing him to Canada until 2016!! He got me to stand on just the operated leg, then told me that he has never EVER seen anyone stand that well on their operated leg at six weeks... my hubby reckoned I looked like I'd got a gold star from the teacher:rotfl: I must say it did make me feel good about the work I've put in to my recovery.
He went through the Xrays with me, told me I have a cementless implant (I'd not asked about that, would have forgotten then - lucky hubby asked!) explained that my femur had "driven" into the acetabellum causing the ("extensive")damage to be there, rather than the femur wearing more "up and down", which is more common; the "advantage" of the more common form of wear is it's a more straightforward operation, the "advantage" of the wear being more in the acetabellum is that there is more bone for them to work with in both the initial setting of the cup and in revisions. I wondered why he was telling me the "advantage"... then he told me that both acetabellum have the same problem and I will need the Right Hip replaced too; hopefully that will be years away (I really can't cope with even thinking about that now, and it's not symptomatic, so unless AVN rears it's head any time soon I'll put it out of my mind for now... or rather for YEARS!) He was very happy with the scar, my muscle repair and abduction, he said the pain/discomfort in my groin may need something doing... but keep up the stretches etc and see if that works, and they wouldn't do a tendon release op or whatever until 12 months anyway - I'm thinking positive... it's improved since I've been doing more stretches so that may well be the answer
My driving restriction has been lifted, yay:driver:Unfortunately as expected, the rest of my restrictions are still in place; the OS did emphasize what he said at our first meeting = once these restrictions are lifted he wants me to live my life WITHOUT restriction, as if I'd never had a hip replacement... as he said, we want to give you back the ability to live an unrestricted life, that's what we do all the work for! He did also say that the really critical period (for infection, dislocation and stem movement) has passed, so - as he's not a policeman! - if I DO "bend" restrictions he's not going to punish me... as always, it really is a case of being sensible. I will "bend" tonight and treat myself to laying on my side in bed while I do my Cryptic Crossword (a ritual I've only just this week been able to stay awake for:snork:) but I will go to my back for sleeping, sigh:sleeep:
He pointed out a small area where ossification hasn't taken place on the cup rim, though he was generally very pleased with how well that's going, so he wants me to have another Xray at 12 weeks and another appointment with him... except he'll be in Vancouver so it will be his locum (which is a hoot, because HE is the locum for the OS that was going to do the surgery but wouldn't have been here for follow up because HE was going to Canada or the US on a Fellowship, geez) :what::what:
We went for lunch and did some shopping after the Doc, then Physio appointment this afternoon; she was pretty happy too, rapt with how well I go up steps on my "bad" leg, detected a slight limp without my cane but said to just take it with me when out in shopping centres etc... I pointed out that's just where I'd been for two hours, and that when I'm "fresh" I don't limp. She's advised me to keep up the stretches, doesn't want me to concentrate on ROM exercises until 12 weeks, when the capsule will definitely be strong enough... I have another appointment at that time, so we'll go from there; that will probably be the last one I'll need.
Then we went to our weekly massage, aah, I really enjoyed that... and bought a new top on the way past the boutique the massage place has moved next too - that could prove expensive long term:rotfl:
As I could, I drove -hubby would only allow from my Mum's to home (I can walk it in about ten minutes so you can guess how long I was driving, lol) - and said to hubby that the seat felt odd, and he said I can't believe how high this passenger seat is... then we realised we'd left my wedge cushion (the smaller one designed for the car) on the passenger seat:rofsign:He's a foot taller than me anyway, his head was just about touching the roof... and we've got an SUV...we must have looked a right sight:loll:
Then we got home.... I took photos of my Xrays to post here :dubious: and sat down. legs up... hubby vacuumed and mopped and made dinner - well, heated up leftovers:heehee: but it was nice.
Now I'm on the couch, next I'll be doing some "Craft Blogging" then off to bed, to Cryptic Crossword and sleep - with any luck... Phew!
Hope you all had and or are having a good day :SUNsmile:
[Bonesmart.org] Craftdee's Made It Through
[Bonesmart.org] Craftdee's Made It Through
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@craftdee What wonderful reports! I am sure you are thrilled to bits with how your recovery is going but hold back from lifting heavy stones or climbing on your roof! :loll:
In the front view picture of your pelvis - it really looks like you have a cat in there? :catbutterfly:
 
OK @Carriemay60 Now that cat comment was funny!! Hope you are doing well!

@craftdee You got a great report from your OS. I wish I had a gold star to give you!! :dancy::dancy:
My IT band has been feeling better, but I think I transferred the problem area to the groin or psoas area?
It just feels like a little tug at time when I go for my outdoor structured walks.
Hope it isn't a big deal.
I noted that you mentioned you had something like that?

Happy weekend. yay! So glad its here. Have fun with your crosswords. I enjoy doing those, too;
I did notice it was hard to concentrate for a while..... duh
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom