Guest viewing is limited

Countdown to hopefully fix my right knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which, depending on the size of the dogs, is why a walker can be your best friend. It's your own private Idaho behind that aluminum fence. I have two border collie mutts who are consumed with irrational exuberance at all times, but who understand and obey basic commands. Both surgeries, Mr Jeano left me sitting in the car with the door open and walker in place in front of me, then let the dogs come out for the initial greeting. They respected the walker immediately. That and Mr Jeano made some dire threats.

Sponge baths are all well and good, but a shower chair is cheap peace of mind, depending on your ability to step into the tub or shower stall. I'd want be sure that you can independently manage getting whatever you will be using to ice your knee. Believe me, you will be much more comfortable if you can keep the ice applied most hours of the day, and this means multiple trips to the freezer.

I was visiting a friend yesterday and talking about the upcoming surgery. I happen to mention a shower chair and my friend said that they have one that I would be welcome to borrow..think I'll do just that. I'm assuming I'll get a walker when I'm discharged from hospital, if not I know friends that have one.
 
Make sure the walker has wheels on the front legs. The ones without wheels work just fine, I used one for my first knee, but for me it was MUCH easier to walk normally with the wheelie walker. With no wheels you have to stop, lift, advance the walker, and then step forward again. I just couldn't coordinate all that without stopping mid stride, which in effect was like limping.
 
Thanks for the advice...I wouldn't have a clue what kind of walker to get
 
@klpgsd - you can call your insurance company and ask them exactly which pieces of equipment they cover for you. My surgeon's office had a packet of info for me and I just had to call them and tell them my insurance and they told me what I'd get upon discharge (which was everything except the ice therapy unit, which is fine because my mom has one that I'll use). I made sure I called way ahead so I'd know what I'd need to get before going into the hospital.

Nothing like getting home and realizing you forgot to get a walker or something!
 
My OS said the hospital will arrange it all when I'm discharged..from what I've heard Medicare supplies all I need plus some PT at home...I'm going to call the hospital and see what I'm allowed to bring..
 
I've decided not to donate.

I didn't see donating blood as necessary. Today they use tourniquets above the knee; very little blood loss. The down side of the tourniquet is that it did bruise and my leg was very sore from it post surgery.

The reasons for using a tourniquet are:

  • A drier surgical field in which your surgeon can see clearly what he is doing
  • Improved adhesion of the implant to the bone
  • Decreased blood loss during surgery
CLICK HERE for the rest of the BoneSmart article on the use of tourniquets.
 
One thing my OS told me is any blood from the surgical site is drained and recycled back so minimal blood loss.
 
I was visiting a friend yesterday and talking about the upcoming surgery. I happen to mention a shower chair and my friend said that they have one that I would be welcome to borrow..think I'll do just that. I'm assuming I'll get a walker when I'm discharged from hospital, if not I know friends that have one.
Great! I have a tub shower so I had borrowed a bath bench -- it really helps you be independent. And you feel so good when you can shower again.
 
Yes, the blood can be recycled back, and/or like I had this time some of us get a drug that does something to reduce blood loss.
 
Yes, the blood can be recycled back, and/or like I had this time some of us get a drug that does something to reduce blood loss.

Don't know what drug that would be...had a little bit of a concern the other day. When I went to my primary care she wanted me to go for one more test...doppler on my legs. She was concerned because my feet seemed cool to her plus a lot of leg cramps in the past. I thought..great something won't be right and the surgery will have to be rescheduled. Went for the imaging test yesterday and the technician said everything looked fine..whew, what a relief. Now to get the final clearance by Monday I guess..be glad when all this is behind me and I can concentrate on recovery.
 
Welcome @klpgsd
Thank you for joining our forum!

The first couple of months are no fun but you should be doing well by Spring.
One benefit of using a walker is that you can relearn not to limp. I limped for so many years, having the walker allowed me to walk in a balanced fashion and rid myself of my pesky limp.

All the best to you. Looking forward to hearing about your recovery! :SUNsmile:

I sure hope you're right...I didn't realize that I've been limping or favoring my right leg for a long time. It would be wonderful to walk correctly again...my rt. knee is turning in more and more too..this site is great and has a ton of info I would never have received by just seaching. Take care
 
Walking "normal" will likely feel odd at first. :)
 
I'm sure you are right...my dog won't recognize me walking to her LOL
 
@klpgs Oh I can relate about leaving you dog and your concern! Emily is 2 1/2 and very attached. She moped the entire time I was in the hospital. When my husband came home every night she looked for me in every room and all over the yard and then came in and "howled" at him. My previous dog did not board well either - diarrhea etc. The dog walker sounds like the best solution and I bet you will be home before day #4 is over. I am using crutches but have a lot of experience with them -the walker is more standard and I think you can fashion some sort of bag in the front to carry things. Just a note - if you are by yourself it is a good safety idea to always have your cell phone or portable along with you.
Emily is very afraid of several things- thunder is one. I got a Thundercoat for her and it really helped. They are guaranteed and you can take them back if you get no results. Wonder if that would help? I'll try to include a funny picture of her. I'm not able to walk Emily but can easily feed her and let her out in our fenced area. Maybe you could fix some baggies with measured food to have near her bowl do you can just dump one in post op and don't have to go get them etc.
One of my breeder friends adds a little plain yogurt to her dogs food when appetite is a problem . Most dogs love the taste. Mine have. Most of mine will eat cheese no matter what. I sometimes press some into a chew toy. That would give some calories. I'm sure your pup will be Ok - again I worry about mine all the time so I understand! Can't upload file as too large will have to work on it!
I'm not sure I've helped - but I certainly understand!
 
I had to donate a pint of my own blood prior to each of my TKR's. They told me it was given back to me. I figured better safe than sorry.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My OS said I could donate but after reading about the donation that if not used will be discarded, I decided to take my chances and use donor blood if necessary.
 
Hi @klpgsd , when is your surgery? I read thru the earlier posts but could not spot the date.

I love dogs. I have two small spaniel rescues. A family member stayed with them while I was in the hospital. I don't think they were ever alone. Regardless, when I got home (2 days post op) they were so overjoyed it was heartwarming. They certainly love having me home all the time for now. One of them is so Velcro she keeps pace with me. She walked carefully within my walker cage until I graduated to cane. I am not ready to take the dogs on walks yet, so some of my friends have been walking them for me. They report that the dogs are always anxious to return home after just one lap around the park. Maybe it's a rescue dog thing.

My OS prefers his patients not do the autologous blood donation. I was curious post op so my RN checked for me. My blood loss was <100 cc and my Hemoglobin the next morning was still in the normal range. Ask your M.D. if it's okay to take an iron supplement like Slow-fe to help build up your blood in the days/weeks leading up to surgery. It seemed to work for me.

I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery. If you have questions be sure to ask. Everyone here is super friendly and informative.
 
Got thru surgery and came home yesterday, late...all is going well...daughter will stay till Wednesday. Hope all is ok with everybody's surgery..could have come home Saturday but doc and I decided it would be good to get an extra day of PT....

Surgery October 29..let the healing begin!
 
Hi, I have been thinking about you and was wondering how you are doing? We had surgery on same date. I was in the hospital until Saturday afternoon. Had a difficult time trying to get my pain meds to work properly. Hope to hear from you soon. It's a long road to travel. Take care, Numbzee
 
@numbzee Hi there...haven't felt very interested in the computer. I stayed till Sunday, both doc and I decided that. We figured I would get an extra day of PT in the hospital that I would get at home on Sunday...not!!! Typical dropping the ball on scheduling. Did get the Sunday but not the Monday. I must say not the most fun operation. Not very faithful with exercises though I know I should be. I do ice, elevate and use the cpm once or twice a day..up to 90. Constiptation is one of the biggest complaint but the worse is the burning behind my knee on calf when I first get up and take a few steps. Told doc and he had me get a doppler just to make sure there wasn't a blood clot. If I had my druthers I would just stay in bed and sleep LOL. I am talking Perkocet every 4 hours and will have my last shot of a blood thinner today... hope you get to feeling better soon!!

Surgery 10-29-14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom