Guest viewing is limited

Countdown to hopefully fix my right knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how did it go yesterday? Did your husband take you? Slept slightly better last night..still achy foot.Anxious to get out today and do a few things. Three weeks is long enough to be stuck inside. Returned CPM machine yesterday...all ok here
 
Hi, My husband was able to take me to PT. It went very well and the therapist was very gentle and through . My treatment was an hour long with TENs unit on thigh muscles. He massaged my knee and that hurt so good! You know what I mean. He asked me what my in home PT did for me and he was upset with what I had to tell him about her. He said she gives real PT a bad reputation. He was upset for me and was able to get my knee to ROM an extra 15 degrees in just 20 minutes if massage and gentle movement. He has the magic touch!

I am going to go three days a week after 4:00 pm so my husband can take me until I am off pain meds. I felt better and was walking better until about two hours afterwards then the tightness and deep aches started. My husband warned me about that ahead of time. It's like you just get back to the gym after years if no exercise and then all of a sudden you over do it and you are sore. He said it will be nice to have the weekend to let's things settle down and heal before the next Monday session. I thought I was pretty hot stuff doing the exercises so easily yesterday until two hours later! Ah ha! Oh how youth is wasted on the young!

PT asked what I would like to be ankle to do again and I told him to ride horses ! He said I should be able to next spring! Wow that've old bevamazing! Sorry to hear you are so achy especially at night. The top of my foot gets really sore during the night and it will wake me up . So I try pumping it and change position.

Where does your hurt?

I am anxious to year how your up coming PT session goes on Monday! My CPM machine is going to be picked up sat. My PT said to just do the sliding back and forth on the wood floors instead. Thank god we don't live back East with all the snow! Bad enough being stuck indoors because of our knees. PT tomorrow ! I would gladly pay someone to massage my leg everyday! My family won't do it! I would massage their damaged legs cause I am a Mommy! Take care!
 
Oh my this spell correction on my ipad did a real number and messed up my typing. I don't like that it changes what you type for you! Sorry for the mess. Oh well.
 
I am so glad you had a wonderful PT person and session...I hope it continues. My horseback riding days are all in the past. My PT guy told me nerve trauma could be the reason for my ankle to ache. The spot is under my ankle bone before the sole...I think I had a similar ache before surgery..this too shall pass. I had an eventful day...went to the grocery store, hardware store, feed store and out to where I walk Jewely. Walked her and thought it was time for the agility group to appear...nada. I was an hour too soon. May put Jewely back into the car and go out there again...my social life LOL...hoping for rain here today but very unlikely! Take care
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Except for your nerve trauma in your ankle you sound like Wonder Woman to me! You out me to Shame I tell you! Now I feel like 90 yrs next to you. So Jewelry is in dog agility? We wanted to put Boo our Australian Shepherd in agility but waited too long now he is afraid of other people and loud places. Tried taking him to dog park and he avoids everyone and all the dogs. He's a homebody and is so sweet and protective of us. I used to take him next door to our neighbors house when I took care of their horse for a couple weeks every year and I thought he was ok with the horse until one day out of the blue he finally looked up to see the horse staring at him and he went nuts and started barking and wanted to go back home! Ha ha. Maybe your new PT can help with your ankle pain too. Take care.
 
I do feel blessed to get this far in the short amount of time. Now if I could only sleep at night. I'm going to check out the drug store for some kind of sleep aid. Advil PM doesn't work. Leg really ached last night. Probably from all I did yesterday. Jewely did do some agility when she was younger but not now. She's almost 12 and having hind end weakness. She has a lot of phobias similar to your dog...I just put up with them. One thing she's afraid of is rain on my porch roof..that sends her flying into the back bedroom..she's a great rain forecaster. Have a good one!
 
You are do exceptionally well. I have tried the Advil PM doesn't work as well as Melatonin for me. I am surprised I sleep through the night with all this knee trauma. I am hoping a new PT can help you get some relief. Jewely looks so much like our previous dog who was a rescue named Dustee. She loved everyone! She would look so deep into your eyes with so much love it was memorizing ! Bless her heart. She passed at only 7yrs. Boo will be 10 soon and he is deathly afraid of Flys! Since the neighbor got a horse we have been plagued with many flys and if one gets in the house he shakes and tries to hide in the bathtubs! My big 75 lbs boy! Poor baby. Don't over do it too soon. I know being cooped up this long is boring and you just want to get out and see there is still a big world out there. You have a good one too!
 
I have tried the Advil PM doesn't work as well as Melatonin for me. I am surprised I sleep through the night with all this knee trauma.
With my sleep issues, I tired Benadryl, Tyelon PM, and Melatonin---nothing seemed to tough it.

I finally gave in to my OS---he offered to write me a script for Ambien---and I only took it for ten days.

That was enough to re-establish my sleep pattern and I did not look back.

I am glad to read that others have found simpler methods of getting relief.
 
@numbzee Too funny a dog that's afraid of flies!! Well I'm officially discharged from in-home PT...he said if I could get my leg completely straight I wouldn't need out-patient PT...my ROM is 126..I am going to try extra-pain relief PM store brand and see if that helps my sleep. Hope you're coming along just fine with another PT session..take care
 
Good for you 126 ROM ! Like I said Wonder Woman! Going to PT later today.
I will need more PT for sure. I am sure you will be back to straighting your leg soon on your own and back to good as new. Now if you could just sleep through the night. Take care.
 
How did PT go yesterday? Hope it was as good as the first time...slept a little better last night but still was awakened with my achy leg...take care
 
Oh it was pretty intense. Lasted and hour and a half and lots of massage and tugging and pulling to get me me 95 degrees! Yikes. On the CPM I had it up to 110 but stopped using it a few days and guess I needed to continue more. They are picking it up Monday. I did all the laundry and dishes and then we went out to dinner and I guess it was too much at once for me. Got my leg up and iced and had to take a pain pill ! Yikes. I am stiff. PT said it would get harder for awhile but to hang in and it will eventually get better. I know they say PT shouldn't hurt but Iam afraid if I don't let them push the pain level up I will get scare tissue and never be able to get yo 135 degrees. I actually got nauseated after one difficult exercise because it hurt so much. Was worried about being embarrassed and getting sick in front of everyone. Ah ghee. Sorry you are still having trouble with sleeping because of your achy leg. Bummer. I do sleep through the night. One blessing there anyway. Think about you . Still a Wonder Woman!
 
Numbzee.....please don't allow the therapist to do things that cause you pain. Despite what these folks think, it is counterproductive to a good recovery from joint replacement surgery to push your knee like that. You should do movements that take you to the point of mild discomfort and then stop. You have the right to tell the therapist this is how you want to proceed.

You are more likely to get scar tissue with a knee that is inflamed, swollen and angry because of pushing too hard than you are from taking a more gentle approach. Actually, development of scar tissue that impedes your range of motion is not that common. Most people have the ROM but it does not show up for a while because of swelling in the knee. Even if you cannot see the swelling, it can be there....within the very compact knee compartment....and just a little can hinder that ROM.

There is no window of opportunity here either....something you might hear from a therapist or even a surgeon. We have members who gain ROM for a year or more very frequently. In fact, that's more the norm than anything else!

Was this the same therapist who was so good and gentle just last Thursday? If so, what happened?????

Don't be discouraged by the difference in ROM numbers from a CPM and a physical measurement. They are never the same and the machine settings will always be greater than what your actual ROM will measure. Don't know why that is, but it just is.
 
Thank you so much for the advice. I keep hearing the window of opportunity over and over. My in home PT for the first two weeks kept telling me that if I don't get my ROM up to at least 100 or more that I will have to go back to the hospital send have the surgeon break the scar tissue under anesthesia . Then she said at PT the therapist will push and pull until I scream with pain if I don't get my numbers up! She was a nightmare . I am going to be sure to tell my surgeon when I go for my post visit about her. The first PT has many years experience and was very gentle and got my knee to 90 very quickly . The next visit I had a different PT and she was very nice in the beginning but after she worked on my knee for awhile then she started pushing and pulling until it was very painful and I could only take ten seconds at a time to hold the new position. I am such a wuss at telling her not to push too far but from what you said I really need to set the boundaries on how far I should let her push. I appreciate your expertise and will try to communicate with my next PT visit on Monday.
 
You can do this. Tell any therapist BEFORE the session gets going what your boundaries are and that if you say "stop" you really mean they must stop. And do let your surgeon know. Without your feedback, they have no idea this is going on. Most would be horrified to know someone was brutalizing a patient like that and risking inflammation in the knee they worked so hard to repair!
 
@klpgsd do you have a recovery thread of your own? I can't seem to find one.

I keep hearing the window of opportunity over and over. My in home PT for the first two weeks kept telling me that if I don't get my ROM up to at least 100 or more that I will have to go back to the hospital send have the surgeon break the scar tissue under anesthesia. Then she said at PT the therapist will push and pull until I scream with pain if I don't get my numbers up! She was a nightmare
You are so right! Did you read the articles I left you in post #2 of this thread? In the list is one about the "window of opportunity" and how it is a myth.
 
@numbzee Your message ended up in my spam so just now saw it...I'm so sorry you've had a horrible time with your PT...hope all gets better for you. Still having problems with sleep..may call my primary doc and get something that will let me sleep without the achy ankle/leg.
 
I'm pretty much over the hardest part...so I doubt I'll be writing much anymore..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom