Countdown to hopefully fix my right knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, So relieved to hear from you. I didn't want to touch the phone or computer fo awhile either. Just trying to get better. I have a PT who comes three days a week for two weeks. She is a toughie . I don't exercise the four times a day she wants sometimes only two times a day. Conspitation is worse than the knee pain at this point. Ouch! Sorry you are having the same. I take Colace 2 to 3 times a day and eat prunes. Only just now starting to get some relief but not enough. So with this problem I have greatly slacked off the exercises. Oh dear what's a body to do. Glad you don't have a blood clot! I wished I could go to sleep more too. Thinking about you and feeling the same.
 
All I can say is we will survive!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wrote I was up to 90, should have been 100...I just finished an hour of 100...I may go to 104 sometime today...what pain pill do you take? Not sure of the constipation stuff I take once in awhile...just mix with water or any liquid...I'm ok in that department as of now. My biggest complaint is the burning on the back of my calf when I first stand up...I started using mostly my cane now and sometimes nothing...I just can't seem to make myself do exercises but I do a little of my own LOL...after the PT guy leaves I'm turning my heating blanket up and going back to bed...house is cold because the back door is open for my dog to go in and out. Take care and we can look back and say we did it and all is well!!!!
 
Hi, Yes, we are surviving! What a trip. I am only up to 95 on CPM so far. My PT said to take advantage of the machine and get my numbers up while I have it. Have it for 21 days. I just sent my husband out yo go and get a new script for my Hydrocodone 7.5 -325 and get it filled. It's still warm here in a Phoenix but I can't leave the door open for the dogs because the little pug can't get in and out of the doggie door. So they have to wait until someone comes home. I can get up and open the door but then the little one won't come back until he feels
Ike it! Which pain meds are you taking? I managed to sleep for five and a half hours before waking up to take a pill. I think Iam going to be able to go a little longer in between pills. How are you doing? I think the first two weeks are the worst and things are starting to heal and get easier. We did it yeah! All good from here. Lots of rehab/PT and back to good as new! Thinking about you take care.
 
I did 104 yesterday on the CPM machine..I think with Medicare I can keep it indefinitely, at least that is what I've heard. Don't feel great this morning..didn't sleep well and the PT guy will be here soon. I was taking Percocet every 4 hours, then cut way back. Last one was yesterday morning at 8am but took one before bed last night and didn't sleep..this morning I took a Tramadol and will do that med as needed. I'm doing good I think and so does my PT guy. Knee stiff and feels huge but it isn't. I'm glad my dog is able to go in and out without me..makes it so much easier. If I'm in bed she just lays down and sleeps too...hopefully all up hill from now on. Goes see my OS tomorrow. I tried to post a pic of my incision but will have to modify the size..maybe later. Have a good one.
 
Hi, I am trying to keep up to you making it to 104. I could only muster 100! You are making me look old. Ha ha ha. I made a mistake last night and didn't wake up fir my next morning pain pill until 7hours! Paying the Price now! I can only go at most 5 hours . It's only been two weeks since surgery guess I need to slow to down a tad. Just want to get back to normal too soon. Mt dogs have been so sweet and seam to understand that mommy can't take care of them as much. They patiently wait for my husband or daughter to come home after work. Today is my last day with at home PT. I am looking forward to going to out patient soon. Nice that you can keep your CPM machine longer. I have to turn mine back in Nov 21. Bummer. I think it really helps. Hang in there and keep icing!
 
I think you're right about returning CPM machine...guess 3 weeks is the limit. I'm terrible about using it. Lousy night sleep last night..finally took tramadol and slept. My dog has been very good too. I have my doc appt. today and will ask about another week of in-home pt or start outpatient pt. Keep up the good work and you'll get way past 104! My biggest problem is straightening out my knee. The back of knee should go straight and if on bed touch it...no dice so far.
 
Sorry you are having trouble sleeping. Sometimes I am surprised that I am actually able to sleep past my time to take the next pill. Are your daughters able to still help you out? My family was only able to take a total of three days to take care of me when I got home. They are here helping before they go to work and after work. I take it you live alone? Bless you it's hard to take extra good care of yourself without help. I finally did my bookkeeping and bills which took about an hour and I am so swollen and sore now. Going to ice and elevate now. Let he know what the doctor says today. Hope he can tell you why you have trouble straightening your leg. Take Care
 
I can't seem to find a pain pill that stops the annoying pain at night. During the day I don't need pain pills as a rule. Saw the doc yesterday and boy did he do a number on my knee...I guess you would say "manual manipulation" and it has been hurting ever since especially during the night. I guess he's attempting to get the knee to go all the way down and touch whatever surface I'm laying on. My daughters were here for 6 days, one of which I was still in the hospital...they cleaned and shopped for me before I came home. The PT guy that will be here today will say whether I can go to out-patient or have another week of in-patient. Doc also said I could drive but before I do I'll try out the leg positioning in the car and pressure required. I was really tired yesterday after doc visit and then going out to breakfast. Only used my cane at doc's office. He said it was to be expected that I'm so tired...how are you doing today?
 
Bless your heart. Oh my you are in a world of hurt. Don't know how you stood all of that manipulation without pain meds. I am finding out that I need to take my daily pain med on a five hour schedule . At night I tend to sleep through to six hours and wake up in so much pain. One member suggested using an alarm for the night to wake me to take meds. Maybe your PT can show you some different positions to sleep in so your leg won't hurt so much. I put on ice and elevate once during the night still and it helps. It's such a delicate balance getting this pain under control. I dream of someone gently massaging my leg in just the right places to help reduce the stress. Wished I could hire someone to do just that who knew what they were doing! My husband and daughter wanted me to try and go out to dinner with them tonight. Ugh. Still too early for me at this time. Just doing two hours of sitting at a desk doing bills and bookkeeping was grueling. My leg felt like it weight a ton! Wished I could help you better but I am just as new at this as you are. Just keep trying and do the best you can. Iam thinking about you. Hope you feel better soon
 
Oh you are so kind but I'm not as bad off as it sounds...the doc manipulation was for a split second, more of a surprise than anything. I'm doing well really. PT guy says one more week of in-home and then out patient. Fine with me. I don't take hardly any pain meds during the day, just at night because of the achiness that keeps me awake..more of an annoyance than anything but sometimes the leg really hurts and then it stops, weird. PT guy, a friend of mine and me did a walk around the block to finish PT for Friday...I did well except heart rate went up quite a bit...still kind of weak and shaky at times. Think it is either the meds or not eating enough. You take care of yourself. Are you walking with an aid now? Do you have steri-strips? I'm terrible about doing exercises so I had better right now head for the CPM machine..was up to 112. Talk to you later, have a good one
 
Hi, I am trying to keep up to you making it to 104. I could only muster 100! You are making me look old. Ha ha ha. I made a mistake last night and didn't wake up fir my next morning pain pill until 7hours! Paying the Price now! I can only go at most 5 hours . It's only been two weeks since surgery guess I need to slow to down a tad. Just want to get back to normal too soon. Mt dogs have been so sweet and seam to understand that mommy can't take care of them as much. They patiently wait for my husband or daughter to come home after work. Today is my last day with at home PT. I am looking forward to going to out patient soon. Nice that you can keep your CPM machine longer. I have to turn mine back in Nov 21. Bummer. I think it really helps. Hang in there and keep icing!
 
Hi, Thanks for clearing things up for me. I was ready to hop a flight to Calif! Yeah like I can do that right now ha ha. My so called waterproof bandage leaked the next day after I took a shower so my incision has drying out the old fashion way. Only two sterile strips stayed on. I will probably have to have a manipulation because Iam only up to 100 with a lot of discomfort. Not like you wonder woman at 104 and no pain meds during the day! I only use a cane here and there. Harder getting use to using it properly than the walker. Dud some laundry today. Husband was glad for the help. He works in heavy construction building elevators and he said he doesn't like this housework stuff. Ha ha. Now how am I suppose to keep up with you doing 112? Golly. I don't like the exercises either but I do try to do them several ties a day. Keep going girl. You are awesome!
 
I'm going to call to find out when and if the cpm machine has to be returned..I'm sure you're right..21 days max or I pay rental. I am only missing one steri-strip so far...took a shower a little while ago and they're still stuck on. Right now my main complaint is weakness and feeling faint..not sure if that's from the few pain meds I do take or not eating enough...I do feel very fortunate at my age to be progressing as well as I am. I'm going to wait a few days before I drive..tell your husband you don't care for the housework stuff either especially when you just had surgery...glad at times I have only my dog. A friend will be coming over today to visit...I need to get out in the backyard and clean up dog poop..plan to do that later. Think I'll ice for awhile. What meds are you taking...only Percocet? I didn't use the walker very long..more inconvenient. I prefer to just walk without any aid unless I'm outside. Were you very active before surgery? I use to go to the gym 3xweek and walk my dog every day...slowly but surely that stopped with the osteoarthritis...hope my other knee hangs in forever.
 
Hi, Pick up dog poop! I am going to profess to my family that iam not able to bend down to pick up poop for as long as I can! On the other hand you have no choice poor dear. Iam not feeling faint or weak just very tight feeling around knee. I don't use anything to walk with around the house either. I need to star to practice using the cane so when I go out I will be safer I guess. I can't get the hang of it yet. Just gets in the way,
. I have been on Hyrdocodone just like Percocet every 4 to 6 hrs. Last night I took one at 10:00pm and it has been over 11 hours and I don't feel the need to take a heavy pain pill yet. I am thinking I will stat going back to Motrin like I used before the surgery and ice end elevate. I am not looking forward to going to PT tomorrow! It is going yo be rough! They say to take a pain pill one hour before so you can get through it! Yikes. When are you going to outpatient PT? I must say you are very active and should have been well prepared by going to the gym 3xa week. Before my osteoarthritis hit I volunteered at a horse rescue center 3xa week. We had three acres along with between 20 to 30 horses ! Most of the volunteers were young kids who stood around texting on their cell phones and talking and doing nothing. There I am old lady to them feeding and watering and mucking the entire three acres by myself most times unless there was a real adult there to help me! I also had to mix special meds and feed for some of the sickly horses as well as salve and bandage wounds. I was totally whipped when I got home. I finally had to give it up when my knee wouldn't let me get out of the way fast enough when there was a turf or food dominance in the group. I got ran over by one of the mini's who was trying to get out of the way of a retired racehorse! We had three mini's so cute but they get pushed around by the bigger horses. I had one really sweet big racehorse who would come up to me and put his head way down so I could put on his fly mask! Iam only 5'3". Sorry got on a tangent and off topic. Sounds like you need to eat more and perhaps more protein? My nurse said to keep the protein up to help heal. I have some Healthy Choice dinners and my seet husband made a big batch of stew! Hey, my lat in home PT never walked he around the block! All she did was reprimand me ! It was a bad experience. Glad she is gone. I need to look into maybe renting the CPM machine too. Please be careful and get your strength back. Drink more water too! Maybe low blood pressure? I have that. Thinking about you and hope you aren't exhausted reading this long letter.
 
It isn't like I have to bend over..real easy with the tools..I'm about as tall as you. I use to be about 5'6'...shrinking in my old age LOL. Your volunteer job sounded like a great job....I use to ride and had a horse up to a few years ago when she passed at 32. Also volunteered at a dog rescue once in awhile. You're right about needing to eat more. I realize that but didn't have much of an appetite. While my daughters were here they made up packages for the freezer of beef stew, potatoes/sausage, Italian sauce, meatloaf, chicken/asparagus...they really filled my freezer plus restocking the fridge. Why did your pt person reprimand you...my guy is not too easy on me, in fact after each session my knee hurts more than usual the next day. I am doing very well except I am unable to completely straighten my knee. That's what he wants me to concentrate on...hopefully when I start out patient I'll have more incentive. I am terrible about drinking enough water...I know all the things I should do but I'm stubborn. I've never had low b/p and do take meds for it...sometimes though it does drop low and that's when I feel shaky and weak...oh well I hope to survive. Sure seems like the time has flown by since the diagnosis and now..won't be long before you and I will be totally back to normal!! Take care...keep writing the long letters!
 
Ah, fellow horse lover! I always wanted a horse just couldn't afford one. Wow, 32 yrs is a good long life. We had several horses that were given up around age 30 yrs so we tried to give them extra loving attention. Will your daughters be able to come for Thanksgiving? We are going to bring my mom, 87yrs to our house for dinner so she can have quality family time. She lives with 9 other people in an assisted living. They just put her on hypo blood pressure meds. She won't drink her water. Need to get her some flavored water might help her drink more. I just as bad about that too. Hey,we are all stubborn and not about to change now! Ha ha. You take care and be good. : )
 
My father got me a horse when I was almost a teenager..I was more interested in boys than horses so she wasn't ridden as much as she should have been. When I moved up here I bought Suzy when she was 10 and she lived to be 32. Normally each year I take the train down to my daughters for TG..not this year. I've been invited to a friend's house and that's where I'll be. Are you planning on cooking? Great that you'll have your mom with you! Have a good rest of the day..later
 
Your father was a wise man trying to divert your attentions from boys to horses! Wished my dad had done that. Ha ha Good that you will be at a nice friends house for TG. My husband and daughter will be cooking. They're pretty good at it when they have to. How far of a trip is it to your daughters ? Do you have grandchildren? Today is my dreaded real PT appointment! My husband almost forgot about having yo take me today and now he has to tell his boss he heeds to take time off this afternoon to take me. I may have to get a cab if he can't swing it. Hate riding in cabs every time I have been in a cab, only a few, they are always texting or talking on their cell phone and drive insane ! Oh please my husband and get the time off! Are you sleeping any better? How's your pain management? Last pain pill I took was last night at 9:00 pm so far so good and it's now 10 hrs later. I will for sure take one an hour before PT. How much longer will your on home PT be coming? Take care of yourself
 
Only trouble it was too late..should have stayed with the horses. Daughters live in Burbank..about 160 miles away. I have 3 children, 5 grandchildren and 4 gr-grands. Hardly any pain during the day so don't take anything. It is the nights that are awful..another bad one last night...took hydrocodone and tramadol...nothing worked, just couldn't go to sleep...what I need is a sleeping pill and not pain pills. PT guy has today and Friday then I start out-patient Monday. Plan to drive myself. In fact I'm going to drive to the store and agility tomorrow...want to get Jewely out for a little while. Good luck on your appt...hope you don't have to take a cab. Take care
 
You've been a very busy lady! Lovely big family you have. I stayed single until 31 yrs had my son at 36 and then my daughter at 38 yrs. My son was married to a lady who had a 9 yr old daughter and sadly just before his stepdaughter turned 17yrs old she accidentally died from a drug overdose. We miss her so much. I loved being called grandma for those 8 years. He and his wife divorced and he moved back to Colorado where we are originally from. My daughter has never been married ,taking after independent stubborn mom, and became a substance abuse counselor after graduating from NAU. She has since changed careers and is now an administration assistance for a non profit company who helps developmentally and physically challenged adults. She loves it. Finally feels like she is making a difference and can actually help others. About driving and taking pain medicine! You know you cannot drive if you have taken even one pill within 72 hours or you will be charged with a DUI. Yikes. My daughter will absolutely not let me drive until I am totally off all those meds. I have used Melatonin for several years now to help me sleep. I get the 5mg that is quick release and it works wonders for me. I used one for the first time since surgery last night and slept 9 hours!
You can find it in grocery store and most drug stores. Check with your doctor first. Hope it will work for you. I also take Magnesium 250mg before bedtime. We try to go the natural herbal way if we can.
So you will start PT next Monday. Oh boy this is going to be a wild ride. I will write to you tomorrow and let you know how mine went ! Ouch! Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom