THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for replies I was amazed and revolted at the same time! I couldn't believe it. At least I have evidence for my OS when I see him next week. Last time I saw him he did not act as if he believed me when I told him a stitch had come out - now he can see a photo of the knot!! I am really hoping that bit by bit they will come out if they have to without any problem. i do not want any surgery to clean them up, as I have seen on the internet!

@Legin did you see @caroline2 post about Benfluramine which she is going to try for a nerve issue? Is this relevant to you?

@Nana moon 27 it seems so long that you have been waiting for your surgery appointment - what is happening?

XX
 
Hi @copsham

I'm still waiting for a date. I was told within the next few months and that was At the end of January. If nothing by end of month I shall phone them x

Are you okay? X x x x
 
I've just been catching up on your thread -- what an adventure you've had. The picture of The Knot is beyond words for me; but, I think you should give it a name like Mr. Don or just plain Don as in the US tv and movie star Don Knots:rotfl::rotfl:. Seriously, I would have been freaked out.

On another more pleasant note, I'm a huge fan of Tai Chi and of Paul Lam. I practiced his 24 Forms for about two years until my hips started complaining. I then started working with the Tai Chi for Arthritis. Did you sit for your first class? Any modifications? I've wondered about some of the foot work and suspect I'll always remain in a high stance with modified foot turnout. Wouldn't you just love to take a class from Dr. Lam? I would. He comes to the U.S. and to the U.K. but I believe his home base is Australia (lucky folks!). Anyway, my experience was that Tai Chi really helped my balance and it strengthened my legs. Have you ever tried it in the water? Crazy as that might sound, I had an instructor who taught Water Tai Chi in a heated pool. It was loads of fun and as I think about it now, it could be a nice place to start the practice again. So, tell me more about your experiences with Tai Chi.
 
Weird looking stitch to me but I am really glad you will now have some evidence to prove what was causing the problems in the first place,
 
I will be interested in what your OS has to say about the ejecting stitch @copsham - he can hardly dispute the evidence. Neat knot though :)

In addition to the articles you have been provided with already, you may like to browse these.

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutrional-snippets
 
Hello @Poppet
Thanks for your links. re nutrition. I am really conscious of what i need to eat and following a specific way of eating (with minor allowable lapses!).

Being different
I always feel that my body and its reactions are different from most other people. Examples of this:
Myself and 3 close female relatives react really strongly to alcohol i.e. would feel drunk or collapse after one glass of wine! We do not have the enzyme that breaks down ALDH which is in alcohol.
I react to supermarket plastic carrier bags - get nettle type rash on my palms if I carry them.
Reactions to gluten, penicillin, cats hair, some dogs hair, diesel fumes, some fish( level of uric acid?) , some mushrooms ....

Reacting to stitches/knots
When I read that it is an enzyme in our blood that breaks down soluble stitches, I immediately wondered whether my stitches were going to dissolve.

Stitches
My tiny, stitches started working their way out of my body. The whole incision was good and healing well for about 2 weeks. Then it looked inflamed but having read the articles was not too concerned. Then week 3-4 looking infected with pus - became paranoid about infected hip. One week of antibiotics. First stitch came out about 0.1 - 0.2cm long. Josephine reassured me - looks like superficial infection . Got used to stitches coming out gradually over several weeks about 8-10 have come out. They are like a filament that used to be in light bulbs. It appears, as a lay person, that there is inflammation, local infection then stitch comes out. This process is continuing (now week 7 post op). Having got used to it I am no longer so alarmed.

Knot
A few days ago when I gently rubbed my scar looking at what i thought was a lot of dried skin, I found a skin coloured knot as in the photograph- SIZE about 0.4 cm from the bottom end of the incision. Having got over the shock, having posted on Bonesmart, relaxed knowing OS appt was soon so will discuss it then. Unfortunely that appt has been changed by him to a week later. Now OS appt in 10 days time.

Diet
I am eating my usual diet of high protein for breakfast dairy, nuts and non gluten cereal, veg soups or salads plus protein at lunch, multi green veg for evening meal. I take supplements of:
Vit C and zinc,
Multi Vit and Min (includes magnesium)
Multi Amino
Curcumin for inflammation

Last night my incision was itching so much I took an antihistamine to calm it down as I was worried that I would scratch it in my sleep and this always works.

I have never found a physician or medic that accepts or understands that my body is different than the norm hence I try to look after myself. This now feels like information overload. I am trying to ride this storm whilst supporting my body in doing what it has to do! Hope this makes sense.
Karen
 
Hi Karen

My mom is very similar to you in that she can't tolerate certain things either. The doctor all but laughed at her once. Two paracetamol knock her out. Normal levels of meds have to be halved or her system doesn't cope xx as for alcohol she'd be flat on her back after a large shot glass!

It's high time someone, somewhere researched this. It's very difficult for the person to live with xxx

I enjoyed reading your update. Thanks for sharing it xxx I hope you get on ok at the OS. Xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Karen, I understand totally.

I too have multiple sensitivities and reactions to many man made and processed items, topically or food. Can't wear polyester, everything has to be cotton. Break out in rashes at the drop of a hat, often just looking at something (lol). Can't use latex products. Can't use bandaids, even those classed as sensitive. Can only use natural cleaning products e.g. vinegar and bicarb soda. I am a Coeliac and even worse can't eat any processed food, including gluten free. Allergic to multiple antibiotics. I could keep going, but I guess you get the gist.

Life can be tough some days. I sympathize with you. Yes, we are different. Yes, unlucky and have to watch contact with with all sorts of items, but you are so right when you say, it is like weathering a storm, however, somehow we manage. :)
 
Hi @Poppet
It'a amazing you are the only person I have known of whose allergies/sensitivities are more enormous than mine. I cannot imagine how you coped with your interludes in hospital! My 4 days in hospital a for my hip was my first overnighter at the ripe old age of 64 yrs and I just had to get away.

The hardest part to me is when doctors/nurses do not believe or think you are exagerating. Also I found it difficult when you are too ill (ie post op) to be your own advocate. Oh well we have managed so far. Thanks a lot for all of your sharing! X
 
@copsham

Research really should be done into this...xxxxx

I went for a rest at just gone 4pm and woke up at 7.30!!! Aaaarrrgghh. I won't sleep tonight now xx worse still I thought it was morning!!!!

Love Nana moon27 xxxx
 
Im in awe of how you guy cope with the allergy thing at least with me its just I dont like things nothing like what you go thru, perhaps its time for me to stop moaning about my wee problems as the pale in significance.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
copsham.....can you please check your signature. Is the date for your surgery correct? I'm thinking it should be January 2015 not 2014. Thanks!
 
No don't stop moaning!!! Your nerve pain sounds like hell to me, makes me wince. We are all entitled to moan sometimes and as usual we all help each other out as well. We all need to keep on carrying on.
I appreciate everyone on Bonesmart. Its the information and the sharing (inc moaning) that is so helpful.

K
 
@Jamie
Wow impressed you are the first one to notice! I put my mistake down to the pain meds at the time! Will change it now.
Thanks
Karen
 
On tapatalk thst info doesnt appear as in sig and dates just sent from iphone or whatever

Legin THR Sep 14
 
When i use my laptop I get full info re the person posting location, number of posts etc and my signature in full. BUT on my mobile just the message nothing else.
karen
 
Oooooooer so im laid bare errrrrr youmknow. Nope none of that on tapatalk I never use laptop now as tablet is so convenient and can have my music films and shows, funny I dislike all my med tablets and this is my trusty companion.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom