Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I had one as well with my first hip replacement and when I went to make her indoors a cup of tea I thought it was water running down my leg when infact it was blood running down the inside of my pj's. It had burst open for the infection to escape and when my wife took me down to the hospital a doc put butterfly stitches on to close it back up.
When the district nurse paid a visit the following morning she was fuming at the doc and pulled the butterfly stitches off and advised the infection would circulate inside my body if it didn't escape through the burst staples.
It did clear up after seven days.

Billy
 
@forbesy thanks for your reply. I need positive stories of infections clearing up in seven days! It is a complex process both good and bad and it certainly stretches my patience! Thank goodness for the Bonesmart support. It normalises everything. I had two different nurses on seperate days telling me the wound was ok when I knew it wasn't. I could have had antibiotics about 10 days earlier still at least we are in the time when there are antibiotics not like the old days!

Thanks again
Karen
 
@Josephine ,
An email to say thank you! You can give more accurate and helpful advice with your grand experience and knowledge, than others I have been in touch with in the community, generalist nurses who do not realise what they dont know. Such great support from you and also your colleagues.
So thank you josephine.
Karen
 
.. the district nurse .... advised the infection would circulate inside my body if it didn't escape through the burst staples.
What ridiculous and ill-informed stuff these nurses come out with! I've heard a few stupid ideas but that's a doozie!
 
Hi @Josephine
Can I check out with you. I went to GP on Monday, got antibiotics, have been to see my surgeon today. I bought forward the appt as, as well as being infected, little filament things started coming out today presume they are remnants of internal stitches. Consultant looked at it, took swabs and said no problem, carry on with the antibiotics, see you in two weeks time. Because of what I call my medical phobia I was frozen and came away not having asked my questions e.g.
I am allergic to so many things could this be a sensitivity to the internal stitches?
If so will this be an on going issue?
Antihistames help calm it down should I carry on taking them?

One part of me thinks 7 days antibiotics and it will be fine as others on the forum have said. Another part of me worries about what next???
Thanks
Karen
 
Oh Karen

I just read your post. I am sure that you will be okay. You immediately sought and got the right advice both here, your GP and the OS. That's what I would call belt and braces. That will keep you covered and safe all round. It is very scary when you get these things occur.

Anyway sending you (((((big hugs))))) x x x

Love Ann x
 
Sure Josephine will get back to you. I hope imternals will be ok but wouldnt infection be more noticeable ie heat around area and you would be feelimg icky take strength from your smartie friends of whom you have many. Lobbed a fortitude water bomb over the wall. Ooooooooops shld hc put specks oon

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Nana moon 27 Thanks for your lovely reply. You certainly put in in a context - yes I have seen nurse, GP and OS and taken advice from Josephine BUT I am finding it difficult to have confidence with those I have seen, especially since I starting having little stitches coming out!
Nurse said it was scar tssue and 3 days later pus came out.
GP who was new to me was the most uncommunicative medic possible and prescribed antibiotics.
OS who I had confidence in was trying to make light of it eg of the stitches, he said it was probably from the dressing when it was clearly black filament. I felt that if my head was falling off he would say "that's fine"!!
My anxiety has risen to a 10 because I am worried i will need for it to be cleaned out which is under general anaethetic ( had really bad reaction last time). In other words although it will probably be gone in seven days - I am scared!!!!

@Legin - thanks for kind words I need a bit of fortitude - I suppose we all do. Oh well I am back on the roller coaster, lets hope the ride ends soon.

Thanks for listening to me good friends - virtual hugs all round!! XX
 
Here if you need i do a good sponge impersonation
 
When I had mine copsham I had to attend the doc's every second day so they could check it out and clean it properly for me.

Billy
 
Thanks legin while you do a good sponge interpretation I am alternating between a prickly bear and a wet rag impersonation !! I am lobbing a big ball of anxiety at you. Please catch it and throw it away .... Phew thats better!
 
@forbesy. That is really helpful. So I am not the only one!! THis is why I am wring to josephine as I don't know what I should expect or what is good practice! How long did yours take to clear up? ThanksKaren
 
The district nurse gave me they antibiotics then kept an eye on it, when there was no sign of any discharge on my dressing and she felt it looked ok she removed my staples. A course of antibiotics usually lasts seven days.

Billy
 
Thanks Billy. I have been taking antibiotics for 4 days and pus still weeping out. I really hope it is cleared up by day seven. Thanks for sharing your information.
Karen
 
@copsham,

Just to let you know I was thinking about you. I hope the antibiotics do the trick. Sometimes it seems to be towards the very last couple of days of the dose, it suddenly seems to work. Sending you a (((((big hug))))

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
That's interesting that you said about the last couple of days as I am on day 4.5 of 7 days course and not a lot seems to be happening! Hopefully the last two days will banish the lunge from my would!!
X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom