Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual our posts cross!

I have been very up and down - one minute can't do anything, everything is going wrong and next minute Wow I have gone up the stairs "properly" or been out for a short walk by myself. I am just not used to being indoors so much, lounging around but it will pass.

Funny you should mention colic. My son had colic (thirty years ago). He was in agony - I couldn't settle him walked him around for hours, then he lost his ability to get himself to sleep. For three years I had intermittent sleep, never sleeping more than 3 hours at a time. Could have done with a sleep/colic internet forum then!

Just thought of Monty Python and the Ministery of Silly Walks and here I am trying to walk with out a limp.
 
Chortling. You should see me as I literally sometimes forget silly foot is there I catch it so I have to lift that leg a tad higher. Looks like some crazed regimes marching style

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Same daughter had crouo as well later. It was so scarey the first time I really thought we would lose her. Then when shown the steam technique it was a breeze

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We have been though a lot. This hip replacement is in a a long string of challenges. Still makes us stronger!
 
Oh yes just once be nice for something to be plain sailing. Ah well could be worse could be bald oooooops

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Just pondering on the whole process! Why after our hip ops is the recovery regime so different dependent on your Surgeon? Doesn't research rather than surgeon's personal opinion inform the "what next"?
The discrepancies include:
No restrictions at all to restrictions for 12 weeks!
Injections in stomach for a month to aspirin for a month
No stockings, stockings for 5 days to stockings for 6 weeks

I like to see things more black and white. Shouldn't it be more scientific that this?
 
I personally think its all part of system all the nurses and jnr drs scurry around after this demigod like figure. There was an audible gasp when I said NO to my consultant. Later the jnr dr came to me said well done and squeezed my hand. The consultant was desperate to getme out of the hospital as it was obvious he needed the bed for next opp. Jnr dr didnt want me discharged as temp was over 39. See for first time in life I was hot stuff. I digress anyway I think they get used to thinking their way is right way.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham

I hope that you're keeping okay. You commented about my emoticons. These are on this site for use by all.

They are on the little bar above where we type. You will see a little yellow circle (emoticon). If you click on that and wait a few seconds, then the emoticons will appear x to get rid of them just click the little yellow emoticon again and they vanish. I hope that this is useful?

Have a great day

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27
Thanks to my hip I am learning a lot (about emoticons)!!
Had my last hydrotherapy session today. I was practising balancing on one leg and then the other in the water. Would you believe it was really hard to do?

I really miss driving - just 10 days to go before I see the Consultant and presume I will be allowed to drive from then as it will be 6 weeks.

It s been sunny in buckinghamshire . How is it in Birmingham today?
 
@copsham, I chuckled when I read about your balancing on one leg during your hydrotherapy. I just returned home from a session with my physio and they had me balancing on one leg and then the other too.....Wow I definitely learned how week my muscles are!
My surgeon lets me drive at 4 weeks post-op. With my first hip last fall I had no desire to drive until 6 weeks. This time around I am ready. Even though hubby came with me to my physio he let me drive.....it's a wonderful feeling to get that bit of freedom back.
 
@copsham oh you'll miss the hydro. The lovely warm and relaxing water. Lovely the weather here was, it was beautiful, bright and sunny but a terrific chill in the wind.

I loved hydrotherapy. It finished about four or five weeks ago. I was reassessed, although there was some improvement I'd still got weak quads so was referred to the hospital gym, which after the hydro seems to have followed on beautifully. I can actually feel the muscle returning now.

I will not be driving until I've had my second knee done x please take the opportunity to drive again, so you don't end up stir crazy. The loss of independence is very damaging. It will be lovely for you to get your freedom and your life back. Well done you x x x woohoo x x x

@NuMe2014, congratulations on driving. You enjoy it. I love hearing good news. You will recover so much faster because of having outside interests and freedom. Woohoo well done x x x

I'm glad I called into this thread. It's cheered me up so much. Well done ladies x x x

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Just catching up on your posts. If you want to know if what you are experiencing is normal or just want a few laughs, read my thread. I'm cheering you on!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @copsham

Let's hope for another beautiful sunny day like today. It's been lovely but went freezing cold this afternoon!!!

Fingers crossed

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Ok @copsham you are all over the place giving support to everyone. BUT you hardly ever post here which would be a post of how you are. So how are YOU

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thank you legin. Me ... i am strong independent, can do anything, in control, etc etc.... in other words psychologically his has been a very hard process to really be vulnerable, unable, not in control, having to be patient and to let things happen. Physically the process has been ok but emotionally gruelling (sp?). I feel that am much more fortunate than many on here but still can feel sorry for myself.

I must say that the hospital bit was the hardest due to my psyche ... the op was fine, physio was fine but I found the nursing service was appaling eg:
  • codeine making me ill, nursing staff trying to convince me it was because I was nervous of going home, the joy of amateur psychology to get out of bed LOL
  • Being persuaded to take codeine at 6pm aganist my better judgement then the the following morning by another nurse being told we need to wean you off these!
  • On asking for my pain meds, paracetamol, having to wait an hour and then ringing again
  • No bowel movement .... nurse saying you can't go home unless you do ... a bit like bad quality child care.
  • psychopathic nurse yanking my leg a few hours after my op as I was slowly moving. She was extra bad and when I complained it turned out that she was already being disciplined about her attitude!!
  • Being violently sick from general anaesthetic which I was told could be controlled nowadays
  • First trip out of bed to go to toilet, nurse got annoyed with my discussion about pain relief (wanting only paracetamol) and walked off leaving me on crutches between bed and toilet shaking like a leaf - scarey!
  • I had to remind staff on two nights out of 4 to put my compression socks on.
There was a hundred other things during my 4 days in hospital to the extent I made a formal complaint. This whole process "knocked me for six". I have been emotionally up and down. Lack of sleep was an issue now mostly resolved. Pain has not been a real issue. But as I have got better physically I found it harder dealing with the limitations ie still not able to go for a decent walk, still not able to drive, still not able to do a lot of daily things that I want to do. Yesterday I carried one heavy bag of shopping to the car and it set my leg off throbbing and I now need to rest!!!!

So cutting a long story short l have been on a long roller coast and like you @Legin and @Nana moon 27 "I'm fine" "I'm fine" !! Lot of this stems from childhood stuff/hypervigilance that I thought was long resolved but found out it was not!

Still also have a lot to be thankful for. When I got up last night to go to the loo I saw a canopy of stars and just melted at the beauty of it all! And @Legin you joke about your one cell brain .. well you are very intutive!!

Wow good to get all of that off my chest
Karen X


 
Addition to above post ...Forgot to say that not all of the nurses were so horrible. In four days there were 8 shifts all different nurses never saw the same ones again. Some were like I would expect being straight forward, pleasant and caring. The physios and hydrotherapists were excellent. So were the ward "housekeepers" who did the food, tea and cleaning!

X
 
Just going to say thank you. Im privileged you chose to get it off your chest as you put it. Imtuitive me naaaaaaaaa just plain old me take care pal
Nigel x

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Now shhhhhhhh make a chap blush. Some people who work in caring be it health or just care plain shouldnt be there yet there are some real stars out there.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham

Thank you for tagging me into your post with legin. Yes we've had a rollercoaster journey. You are so right when you say about the psychological effect this type of recovery can have. Believe me I know. I despise it.

My knee was originally done in January 2014 then revised (thankfully) just before the end of September, 2014, by which point I could barely walk. Every one around me was so concerned. Once the revision was done the whole thing felt better. Yes it's taken me a very long trek to get to the point I'm in now which is ok but...!!

I had a fall the following day after surgery the first time due to an over zealous, very bullying young physio. The details are on the early part of my recovery thread.

Legin's one brain cell makes a thousand of mine at the moment. He is such a great support to us all no here. Everyone comments on his friendliness and caring ways. Some days I'm ok others not because of the type of meds I'm on after all this time. I call that my goldfish brain.

Take care hope your day is good. I love the stars x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom