Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Went to physio this morning, (why is everything so exhausting?) All makes sense, the foot that is not broken - on the operated hip side- has a very weak ankle, hence the problems with hopping using crutches or a frame. I have been given exercises to strengthen that. Then focussing on strengthening the core muscles, stretching the arm and leg muscles. a twice a day routine.

I have been really resting the left operated hip as it was starting to complain. It feels much better. than it did a couple of days ago. When I do not keep my right plastered foot elevated it swells up easily and being in a cast that is a problem! So it is one round of sleeping, bathroom, eating, reading/internet, followed by sleeping, bathroom, eating, reading/internet. It is a very frustrating regime but also could be a lot worse.

I had a high protein lunch today and promptly slept from 2pm until 5pm. I do not know if it is connected, so will try the same in the evening and see if it helps the night time sleeping.

Take care x
 
Hi @copsham I am so glad you have now got something to work towards with both hips, ankles etc. I do hope things improve for you. Let us know how you next high protein meal went and sleeping....asIf that works, I need to try it!!

I did get about 6 hours sleep last night, except it's from 3 am to 9 am. Which is just weird times to be sleeping..I suppose that is better than no sleep!

Good luck with your exercises x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Suzette - well I am wide awake at 1am. But then I did sleep all afternoon so not surprising. Will try again when I have not slept for so long! x
 
Hi again @copsham I think I will try the 'old fashioned' way...hot chocolate. ...I have had an amitriptyline, but that only works if I can actually get to sleep in the first place, then I feel drunk when I wake up!!

Have no idea how I will ever get back to work if all I want to do is sleep during the day :yawn:

Right am ioff to put the chocolate on..xx
 
One thing I know - as of tomorrow night I am going to put my laptop out of reach for the night. If I read at bedtime I drop off so will have to revert to that!! So it will be a good book, hot chocolate or sleepy time tea. I WILL find the answer eventually. x
 
I know it well. Sleep is often that far off dream, or am I sleep typing.....

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Sleep when you can. Throw away the clock and the calendar until you can really establish your normal routine. Except take your pain meds timely if needed. My sleep habits were screwy for weeks!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @Legin. I was finally asleep at 5.30am when you were awake. I seem to alternate with you, @Nana moon 27 and @Suzette in the UK!!

@beachgal When I am in a phase like this it seems to never end but I always get back to a better routine eventually! BTW I love seeing your goal of a Paris walk being fulfilled. What are you planning next?
 
Wow that's great! I love Amsterdam and presumably you go through Austria/Vienna which I love. I have not been to the places in between though. It must make having the hip done all worth while.
 
Our Minnesota travel buddies wanted us to join them on this cruise for their 30th anniversary and we actually planned it last year while I was rehabbing from THR! All my little adventures since then have been leading up to this trip...lots of walking on cobblestones, long flights, but many new experiences to enjoy! We've been to Amsterdam but none of the other stops. Lots of ports in Germany as well as Vienna, yes, so really looking forward to furthering my education re this part of Europe. Can't wait!!!
 
Hi @copsham can't believe you were still awake at 5 am. I think I managed to sleep at about 2 then woke at 8, then some how fell asleep again until 12 noon. That's taking the amitriptyline , not taking a whole one of those again!! Then I could not sit still all day and I was trying to rest the hips. I will do that tomorrow, honest. I hope you read your book...maybe I need to do that too

sleep well x
 
Hi Suzette,
Sleep is avoiding me again!!!
Because of my non weight bearing right foot and difficulty hopping on my left hip I cannot go get upstairs, so sleeping on sofa bed downstairs. This is getting on for 5 weeks now so I should be used to it. As planned I went to bed with a book instead of my laptop, thinking that I would fall asleep when I read. I started to read a book the "Shetland Bus" a book I bought long ago while on holiday there. It turned out to be a very disturbing read about Naval operations between Shetland and Norway in WW2. A gripping read but not bed time reading.
Why am I doing this to myself?
 
@copsham sorry to hear about your frustrating appointment. I also had frustrations at my 2 week follow up appointment. I saw a physicians assistant and was concerned about the reccomendations he gave me as they were opposite of what the surgeon told me in the hospital. I ended emailing the surgeon for clarification and did hear back that some of what the PA told me was not what the surgeon advised. I hope you get some good news soon and are able to put some weight on that foot so you can give your hip a break.
 
Hi all....oooh no to everyone who is in this circle/merry go round of trying to sleep..but yes, the moon has been nice these last few days. So when I look at the moon I will think of all the other hippies looking at the same moon...All around the world :yay:

I was a good girl too, I put my tablet thing down Sort of earlier than normal. ...I was still awake at 2.45. Lay there in the dark lstening to hubby and doggy snoring..and eventually got to sleep and then woke up at 5 am, 7 am, 8 am to 9 am. ..the next thing I knew it was 11 am...and the sun was shining. So I tried to sit still and give my thighs a bit of a rest, sitting in the sun. Did reasonably well too. But got a bit fed up with not being able to do any digging, which is no way near to how frustrating it must be to not even be able to hop. I really hope things come together again soon, @copsham, and you can get up those stairs, or even just to be able to get about a bit easier xx

At 7 pm I was back in the lying down position with the usual throbbing. will get to tthe GP ASAP To try and get an injection. So ice packs, pain killers, and a cup of tea.

Please please let us sleep at a reasonable time...I now seem to be awake when everyone is asleep and asleep when everyone is awake !!

love to you all x x

@J-nice is that your french bulldog?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom