THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@copsham I can see how the knee walker would potentially keep you from having to hop on your THR hip. They are great for foot injuires, and having to hop sounds dreadful for healing of your baby hip!

But I was surprised at the number of family and friends who mentioned the knee walker to me before my THR. I couldn't fathom the idea of using one on my hip op side! Ouch!
 
Hello copsham. I just finished reading your entire thread and as you seemed to be doing well with your THR couldn't quite figure things out regarding your supportive posting to my new thread BUT then towards the end....Wow crystal clear. I am so very sorry for your fall and metatarsal break! We also share that. My first stair fall was 2 summers ago when I broke my 5th metatarsal. Not nearly as serious as yours but I did find the non weight bareing (sp?) difficult for eight weeks. A little cheer for your great attitude! :yahoo:My screen name should be "hate stairs". One day at a time. Ann
 
Hi all,
I did a little scooting around on my knee scooter indoors. What a relief to not be hopping ( I feel like an elephant when I hop not a gazelle LOL). The seat for the knee is at its lowest setting and is one degree too high but quite usable. So definitely not suitable for 5ft hight or under! My hip seems okay with it, hopping was much more stressful for it. I am going to take it slowly - how many times round the dining room today? I don't want any counter reaction to it.

@nochoice could I ask you - do you have flexible joints (hyper mobility) ? I do to a small degree and my lay persons thought is whether the flexibility allowed the joints to bend make hence more damage than expected for falling down one or two stairs ?? Just a thought!
 
@copsham: I am so happy to hear it is working well for you and relieving some of the stress. I did find when I felt sore from using it, I would sit down on it (with a pillow under my bottom) and scoot around that way. I might bring it out of storage once I come home from my hip surgery. Might come in handy. Have a great day!
 
@copsham re flexible joints. I've been told I have flexible hip joints...it's always been easy to touch my toes or even a little further, but I don't think I have any other flexible joints. My problem has been always rushing around and not paying much attention to foot placement. Rushing up or down stairs is always a bad idea but really bad when your older. When I broke my foot I was wearing sandals, rushing on concrete steps from our garage which tend to be slippery and carrying a pot for planting flowers in. Also no rail by steps, so even if I'd had a free hand couldn't have used it. Disaster waiting to happen!
 
@nochoice thanks for your reply. i am just trying to make sense of why I did such huge damage from a straight forward fall - your concrete steps sound a nightmare but I just fell because I was coming down wooden stairs thought the second step was the first step and fell forward not twisting and landed on wooden flooring.. My hip did not suffer at all. That is why I was thinking about flexible joints i.e. my ankles.... oh well I can't put the clock back!
 
@copsham Dont we just all wish we had the ability to turn back the clock. I fell backwards from the third or fourth step going upstairs-rushing of course-and flipped myself backwards onto the hardwood floor directly onto my left hip. That fall happened at 9:05 Thursday morning 4/23. So you can guess where I would put my clock:thud:
 
@copsham
Stopped in on your thread to see how you are doing~ your spirits sound good now that you have a bit more mobility with your scooter. I am happy for you as this is progress and a step closer to normalcy :yay:I was thinking that since the scooter is not quite the right size and it's a rental~ could you ask the place where you rented it if they have a smaller size you could exchange? Just a thought~ I don't know anything about scooters though. :shrug:
I hope you continue to recover uneventfully!
 
Dr Who has gone to far flung reaches of the galaxy so no time traveling I'm afraid. Try not to get too bored, another good reading site is PsychCentral there are loads of wee articles on how we tick. Tho I'm.more of a tock.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hiya..: finally found your thread. My phone crazy. Can't find peps threads. How you getting along? What has been going on?

Me wow lol ya have catch up on thread. Xxx have good day.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
You sound a bit like me!!

I can't walk at the amount coz of foot op but I feel stressed this morning as I am so busy - doing nothing!!
 
I can't either my knee from March is got all kind problems. Poping and pain. I have had use crutches again to relieve pressure. It' sucks. Me heading to doc. Hope all gets better for you...

Any plans for future. What's been happening.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi all,
I had a real gloomy down time yesterday/afternoon evening. i had been to my two week post foot op appointment. Having had phobia's about lots of things all my life including medical appointments, this was an ordeal before I got there, but one that I was proud to be dealing with. Then the quality was a bit dubious, I asked my planned questions and it became apparent that the doctor had not read the file. let alone looked at the X-rays. The consultant who i had seen previously had made me feel good, knew his stuff, made me feel special, this one answered with very generic responses that did not relate to me, responses like "no need to ice" when I asked "Last time I was told 80% recovery, likely what does this mean?" He said I would have to ask the consultant who is away on holiday. The nurse advised me what to do if my heel gets sore from so much lazing around. This being 4 weeks post accident they had become sore and i knew what to do thanks to bonesmart! Ugh!!!


So I came away feeling very disgruntled. I had intended to go to the cinema in the evening but I was so shattered did not go as I was exhausted. In 4 weeks I have not been out the house except medical appointments. My operated hip is getting weaker, not painful. So there i was gloom, gloom, gloom.

Thanks to Bonesmart and my hip op I know this will pass but just wanted to off load. Thanks to all x
 
Oh pal I have seen same type of jobs worth. The last one I saw I said so you can't answer questions or advise please let me know why I was called in. All the usual you are doing fine, but I know its doesn't help. I still think you should do a blog, medicals neednto wake upto syndromes in patients or the like. Take care and hugs for.my pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham , that's just so rubbish. When I found out my surgeon was on holiday yesterday, I too was waiting for the practised responses and lack if knowledge about my case from the lady physician I saw. I was impressed though when she went and fetched the 'fellow' who I had met a few times, to come in and talk to me, that was the first time ever that had happened.

you load off as much as you like and I hope you feel better in yourself today. You have been through so much I can't even imagine what it is like.

loads of love sent and big hugs :console2: xxx
 
Oh boy! (that's the polite version!)
Tears when I read @Legin 's post, tears when I read @Suzette 's post. I feel in a muddle. I know it will pass though.
The different parts of my body are needing different things:
My broken foot in a cast is non weight bearing and should be elevated above heart level for most of the day for the next
I need to hop if using frame or crutches but operated hip cooperated for a while then got weaker (using a wheelchair to get to bathroom now)
I assume hip is getting weaker (less stamina) because each the hopping steps is jarring it.
Have a knee walker which will be good once I have got used to it but when I am tired feel it will run away with me
Can't elevate above heart level while I eat nor for the next two hours or I will get indigestion
Then I want need some form of exercise for all of my body except my broken foot.

I tried the wheelchair tai chi for arthritis this was relaxing but not exercise as such.

@Josephine are there any stretches that I can do that will specifically strengthen the hip for hopping?
I do want to go to a physio soon but would a chiropractor be better? I can't go at the moment as I cannot hop up one step and haven't found a fully accessible practise near me.

Just writing this out and clarifying my mind is helpful. I have felt sorry for myself and can now move on!
 
@copsham: I feel so bad for you, to have wasted your time, and more importantly, your energy seeing someone who had no idea of your circumstances. It would have been nice if you were made aware that your surgeon was on holiday and would not be seeing you. At least you would have been able to make a choice of waiting to see the informed doc and getting the answers you needed. I know it can be very frustrating, having been there myself. Please know, that it does get better. Wishing you better days ahead!
 
Josephine are there any stretches that I can do that will specifically strengthen the hip for hopping?
Well, I'm a little confused here - you don't have a side to your foot surgery in your signature so can you tell me the sides - I see your THR was left. Which side was your foot surgery and which side are you using for hopping?
 
sorry Hip left and foot surgery right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom