THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(this sat in my post not sent for a day)

Thanks all for lovely comments!!

Addiction to medical drugs
I just read a review of a new book on Huffington Post UK. As someone who cannot take pain meds other than paracetamol (and with a relative with addiction), I read this article with interest. I thought of those Bonesmart posts where people are worried about becoming addicted to their prescribed drugs. Part way through the article there interesting info re use of morphine medically. Here's the link for any one interested:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html

Thanks to @Legin for the reference to Huffington Post UK It is one of the many things that I alternate between in keeping "going bonkers" at bay.

My Hip
My body is made of two parts at the moment. The half, including my operated hip, that needs movement and exercise and the other half that needs total rest and no weight bearing. it is exhausting trying to meet these different needs and I ache. My hip has gone back to how it was 4 weeks or so post surgery, achey, stiff and complaining. My foot is still very painful and should be rested and elevated all day!! Oh well I am hoping that I do not need an op, will get results of CT scan tomorrow so will know then, following that it will be a matter of "sitting it out til it heals!

 
I feel for you darlin'. Sounds truly difficult and frustrating. I'm so glad the tea worked for your sleeping!!! I want to try it but I used to be allergic to chamomile, haven't had it in ages for this reason. Anyone know of something similar without the chamomile? It makes my breathing difficult, which could work to put me to sleep in a way I'm not quite ready for yet!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Tweefishy Thanks for your post. There's PUKKA night tea which i bought at the same time but haven't tried yet. it is strange to me that when someone like yourself mentions they have allergies I am amazed. i have multiple allergies which affect me greatly but know so few others. From this forum I can see though it is not so rare!
 
I thought Huffington Post would be good for you. I know its really hard but I'm sure the old foot will start to show some improvement. So helping with your boredom problem. I know if I didn't have things like Huffington and my music apps that allow me.to find and listen to new.music I would be barking mad by now. Take care lass. Woof

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @compasham! I'm a walking allergy! I can only imagine my poor parents! They said all I did was howl for months till the docs allergy tested me. Everything they fed me made me sick. I've been this way since birth and it's gotten worse not better! Milk protein, soy, gluten sensitive, chamomile, cedar, milk weed, a million trees and flowers, sulfites, and most antibiotics, and then I have skin sensitivities to a ton too. My family has always called me the bubble girl since it was such a big thing to deal with as a child when they didn't make alternative food products like they do now. Even still, I basically have to cook everything I eat, or get sick. Recovery has been tough on that front but luckily my husband has learned a lot from me and sticks to dishes he knows are safe. It's the days he brings home prepared food, like tonight, where tomorrow will be less fun.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh well here we go - update - op needed.
Results from CT scan on foot show that as well as the broken bone the ligaments are severed. Meaning that the big toe is not attached to anything (?) I am told this sort of break is rare. Oh I so did not want an op, hate my reaction to pain meds and to anaesthesia and I have to start counting my weight bearing days from the beginning. I will get strong but it is such a shock at the moment - Weds afternoon appointment then surgery on Saturday. I am very lucky to have a top consultant doing the op on NHS so quickly.

My big concern is my hip. It is aching all over and burning around the scar thanks to my foot on the opposite side. I made an appointment for a physiotherapy assessment next Monday but will have to cancel because of the op.

Oh well thats my moan for the moment, from a point of shock.
 
Ooohhhh Noooooo sweetheart!!!!!! Shock for sure! You can get through this too. We're here for you. xoxoxo


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@copsham
I am so sorry! Once your surgery is over you will be mending and moving forward again towards wellness. You have a new hip that is strong all be it sore but thank goodness the hip surgery was before your foot break. I just know you will do great and you will have the Warrior wounds to prove it! You are in my thoughts!
 
Thank you all for your thoughts ... a guarantee from Bonesmart is that we will hear from people who understand! I had a night of not sleeping - even the herbal tea could not over come my anxiety about surgery. With my hip I was anxious about surgery but had no idea what lay ahead in respect of recovery. Now I really understand when they say 6 - 8 weeks non weight bearing followed by 6 weeks partial weight bearing what it is like. But from Bonesmart I know about getting ahead of pain relief, about rest ice and elevation, about post op blues, etc. With my foot my purpose will have be to do nothing which is harder than with the hip where at least the purpose was to move and go forward from day one.

@Sullivand thanks for the reminded about my strong hip - you are right.
@donor - need those hugs thank you.
@Granny Di - thanks for sentiments
@Tweefishy - you understand the shock thank you



Has anyone got any tips about how to lessen the effects of general anaesthetics or reaction to morphine/codeine?
Clutching straws here?
 
Try benadryl to help sleep. I took two last night and slept for the first time in over a week. It certainly won't fix everything, but sleep always gives us a renewed outlook.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @Tweefishy will buy some!! Just like prep for hip surgery, i am busy making lists what I need, setting up my nest with books, comfort blanket TV etc. talk about " deja vu" x
 
Hi @copsham I too am thinking of you and your surgery Saturday. What a shocker that you have had such a bad injury and didn't really know what was going on in there.

All will be fixed soon and hopefully you can move forward.

Loads of love and bestest of wishes coming your way.

xxxx
 
Oh Coppers I'm so sorry. Sorry you have this ordeal and sorry with my busy two days I missed your post. I'm rooting for you pal. Will be more observant in future take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi all
I am going in for my foot op very early on Saturday. i just want to get through all of this with my op hip not jeopardised. My foot thing is a "Lisfranc fracture" which apparently is quite rare (trust me). There's loads of information on the internet and I have found a good forum NOT as good as Bonesmart though! I keep feeling so lucky that I have learnt so much from Bonesmart that will help me in the weeks to come post op x
 
I and all of us, I am sure, are thinking of you . I will check out your injury too so I understand it x

ooh just took a look, no wonder you were In pain xx
 
@copsham just been reading your recovery thread.. Wow you poor thing you have been through a lot!! Here I am whinging about my little problems and was not aware what your going through..
Very best of luck for your op and I'm sure if you have any concerns and you lets us all know on here we can support you in some way or another. It's great to see from all the posts the support we have on using the bone smart forum. Keep being positive and stay stay strong

Supsurfer1974
LRTHR 2nd July 2015
 
Thank you @supsurfer1974. Although this is about my foot for me now, I have gained so much from everyone one at Bonesmart! I really felt for you in those early few days post hip as it was similar for me. Unfortunately when I have my foot op I will have all the pain. pain meds, post op blues to deal with but I will be a little bit wiser knowing it won't stay for ever. Hope your teenagers are treating you well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom