THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, really sick-making pain sometimes. And your Chinese herbal ointment might have really good painkilling chemicals in it - hope so! Poor old you..... St Pancras is waiting for you to stroll through it again. x
 
Copsham....I'm so sorry to hear you've injured your foot. I hope things settle down for you soon. It's not fair that these "small" breaks can bring such major pain. But I'm glad to know the ol' BoneSmart mantra works on toes too....rest, ice, pain meds. Take good care of yourself.
 
Hi @copsham , I've read about your broken foot and am terribly sorry. You can do without being confined to a life on the sofa in this weather. But maybe the good weather will help you recover faster :).
As regards the exercise, that's nice of you to say so. While some people say that's discipline and the surgeon actually says its a must for me (I've got osteoporosis), not everybody is so pleased with my exercise routines. My family - well they think I'm an overdoer - marathon and Ironman - crazy. And on New Year's Day 2015, same thing as usual - My husband: What are your new year's resolutions. Me: I haven't got any (I never have any). He: Your new year's resolution should be less sport and gaining weight. Hihihi giggle giggle funny. He was right though. Now I'm doing less sport and I have gained weight :). But I'm only too happy to encourage other people to do some light endurance sport - it's good for your heart and lungs and has the useful sideeffect that you can eat what you feel like. I could never go on a diet - terrible. Best recovery for your foot - and on the sofa, you can do arm exercises, for example. The aim in this context is to exercise those parts of the body that are healthy. That's what I learned from my nice Polish "physio" lady at my hospital.
 
Thanks @Jamie
Everything i do is helped by "Bonesmart Wisdom" e.g. a minute ago my heels were starting to ache from so much resting with injured foot up - immediately recalled advice re rolling a blanket under the leg so that heel does not touch surface. When it comes to pain management I am comfortable with taking meds fully and properly until I forget to do so, a la Bonesmart style. Even when I fell so heavily, and husband saying "what happened?" my reply as I lay on the floor was "get some ice" I am actually able to give in to it and know patience is necessary - all Bonesmart stuff! So thank you x
 
Coppers do you read the Huffington Post on line, plenty of reading and now a link to change.orgneven more often sad reading

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham Best recovery for your foot - and on the sofa, you can do arm exercises, for example. The aim in this context is to exercise those parts of the body that are healthy. That's what I learned from my nice Polish "physio" lady at my hospital.

Co incidence that you should say that this morning. I was thinking earlier on "what to do" exercise wise and found some suggestions on Youtube - like mini aerobics for top half only. Otherwise I am going to end up the blob that I feel like ... x
 
@copsham , I like Your request for some ice. Did your husband get you some? If yes, did it help?

We have learned so much on bonesmart. My husband had an accident on his shoulder around 6 weeks before I got operated on the hip. I recommended ice for him, and gave him some tips about exercise to get one's ROM back which I learned from bonesmart. But I understand, shoulders are more complicated than hips. He recovered slowly but he recovered. Now he's back at the gym and has been doing breast stroke at the swimming pool successfully.
 
Th
Coppers do you read the Huffington Post on line, plenty of reading and now a link to change.orgneven more often sad reading

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks @Legin. I have heard the name but not looked at it will do so - in-between my armchair exercises. I am going to be so busy LOL
 
Oh no, really sick-making pain sometimes. And your Chinese herbal ointment might have really good painkilling chemicals in it - hope so! Poor old you..... St Pancras is waiting for you to stroll through it again. x

Thanks for post @isolde The chinese herbal ointment really helps the pain. It is like a menthol mixture which sort of numbs and calms the foot a bit but it cannot be used anywhere near an incision so no use for hips! I went to St Pancras Station once my hip was good and before breaking my foot bone. As you know I do love it! My grandfather who worked on the LMR all his life has a one sentence letter from the St Pancras station master thanking him for his 40 yr service! I must say that when the hip is better it opens up lots of wonderful things to appreciate oh well!
 
So @copsham ~ no need for surgery on your foot? Continue to heal w that good spirit and strong upper body that sounds like will be developing! Keeping you in thoughts. :hugzz:
 
Hi @SullivandThanks for asking!

I had an X-ray again and they said it was not dislocated or out of place as well as broken but because of the unusual nature of the break they want to be sure that there are no other injuries so had a CT scan today. Then based on this will, appointment next week to decide whether op is necessary. They try to avoid op where ever possible so fingers crossed.

I am suffering and it is not the hip, not the foot but the heat. It is 32 degrees here at 2 in the morning, very unusual for us and not used to it.

A funny thing happened today. I was in the bath room and touched my hip scar, sort of at the back of the hip so cannot see that end. It felt weird, a bit crumply and sharp. As usual for me panic mode set in, was the scar coming apart, was it a funny little abcess etc. Infact it was a crumpled up sticky price tag that had adhered to my scar Phew no need to worry about that then.
 
@copsham
My fingers are crossed too that the scan results show no need for surgery.
I certainly got a chuckle about the price tag on your scar~ I would have had a quick panic too! I have a feeling it will be quite a while before any of us rest easily about how we move or how we feel! Stay optimistic and hang in there.
 
@copsham
So sorry to hear about your injured foot...,do hope that the scan shows that no op is necessary ...what a thing to happen.
Glad to see your sense of humour is still intact.....it so gave me a chuckle about the price tag...had similar heartstopping moments myself!!
Look forward to your update.....everything crossed....Chrissie xxc


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all ,
Thanks for the lovely comments. What a lovely group of fellow hippies!

Yesterday afternoon hubby drove me to one of my idyllic, peaceful places, about an hours drive from here. We arrived at this secluded rural area with bee orchids, 13th century church etc. Car was parked and I thought no I can't get out of the car. I was exhausted from the car journey, hip ached and foot ached. This was a throw back to how I used to be pre hip op, so was quite sad. It also reminded me thank goodness of how much my life had improved following the hip op and that I will get back to that.

I am still surprised that my foot is so much more painful than hip ever was. I just accidentally put my weight on it and leapt to the ceiling - still @Legin you are an expert on a lot worse than this!
 
:console2:You really have had a tough time havnt you! I dont know how you have coped with recovering from hip surgery AND a broken foot, I cant think of anything worse while trying to walk after hip surgery! :sad:

This will pass though, I know it doesnt feel like that at the moment but it will..take each day one at a time, every day is a day closer to healing, for both your hip and foot, you will get through this tough time and it will all be behind you. Then your husband can take you to that peaceful place again and you will get out of the car and breath in all the lovely scents and fresh air around you. Stay strong. Thinking of you:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Kay9. It is true about there being a future although sometimes, like you and I know, that gets a bit lost in the every day thoughts and feelings! We do get there in the end and its lovely to read when this happens e.g. @Hoppy Nanny buying the long awaited puppy or several others who have got back horse riding.

Thanks for the sentiments. Have a lovely day.
 
All pain is individual lass we all react differently. Your pain will.be overwhelming to others. Don't forget I saw second daughters full natural birth sheeeesh now that looked wayyyyyyyyyy more than my daily pain.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin
You triggered a memory for me! I had a natural childbirth at home and later accompanied my sister when she had a natural birth. Comparing the two my view is that it was harder to be accompanying someone else's labour than actually having the labour myself. So well done legin !

I hadn't thought of it, but for me hips and pain were so easy by comparison with childbirth. I suppose though as we always say "everyone is different"

Forgot to say that was 30+ years ago!!
 
How are you doin' Copsham? Chekckin' in in you...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom