Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chortle
My first was C section and I saw the lot. Natural was wayyyyy worse to watch poor wife and the contortions I vowed never to complain about cramps ever again.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Tweefishy Thanks for asking. i am a little better having had some sleep!

@Legin you are a man of experience - car crashes, challenging teenagers, dementia (not you), hip, crps, lots more and still going stong.

@Constanze yes hubby did get the ice about 15 mins later!! What are you up to this weekend. Something restful I hope

@Suzette hope you slept better last night.

SLEEP!! for a couple of weeks I have not been able to sleep more than 3-4 hours a night, occasional naps in the day but getting distressing. Last night I drank some "Sleepytime" tea as previously mentioned by @Me2 and @sunbunny. It worked..... I fell solidly asleep at 11.30 then woke up in the middle of the night because of dramatic thunderstorms, sleepily said to my husband "We haven't got a lightning conductor on the house" then went back to sleep til 6.30. Normally thinking about lightening conductors would have woken me up big time and that would have been it, no more sleep!
I will try it again tonight. Placebo effect? Who knows? Who cares, if it worked?
 
@copsham
I am struggling with insomnia too~ I haven't cared too much because I seem to make up for it in the mornings and decided as long as I get sleep it doesn't matter when. Over the last couple of days however I haven't been able to return to sleep in the morning either. I am going to get "sleepy time" tea today for sure. I am wondering though if the "sleepy time" tea is the same here as in UK? What is in yours? Camomile? Lavender? Thanks for your help! :yawn:
 
HI @Sullivand
The one i used was by a company called Celestial Seasonings. I brewed the tea bag for quite along time and drank it when it was luke warm about 30 mins before bed time. I am too lazy to get up and look for the ingredients oops I am not lazy just being non weight bearing.

My son said it has cannabis in it but I assured him it did not!! The ingredient causing the confusion was Avena Sativa meaning cultivated oats as opposed to cannabis sativa meaning cultivated Cannabis! Hope it helps ... lack of sleep is so horrible. Good luck.
 
broken link removed: https://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/sleepytime-teas/sleepytime

No cannabis in the tea....lolol. we can buy this at any grocery in the us.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chortles @webbie73 joke. Tho believe me I know all about lack of sleep its the one thing about this process. But we come out the stronger for it, so they say. Who is they anyway

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks all, this does make me laugh. What a lovely lot of Bonesmart gang members!!

i am trying to psychological tie myself to the sofa. Earlier I walked a few steps in to the garden and i wanted to dive in and do some gardening so currently trying to resist. I would topple over so easily and get my moonboot muddy!!
 
Hmmmm Confucius he say brown boot bring enlightening.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
The thunderstorms were pretty spectacular last night, although we never had any rain with ours. I have to say I don't think I need sleepytime tea, I'd never wake up. I tend to take a long time to get to sleep, but after that I don't wake up until gone 9 most mornings. I don't have a restful sleep though, always having to turn over.
Don't go gardening though muddy boots are difficult to clean. (I won't tell you I did a bit of pond cleaning the otehr day, was so satisfying to be able to do it).
 
Ummmm... love Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea! Peppermint and chamomile and some other goodies. In the winter they have one with licorace added, also lovely at night. We have a local honey farm with organic mesquite or desert blossom honey - I use a big spoon. Half goes in the tea, the other half I get to lick off the spoon.
Wicked good :angel:

Twinings makes one too but not as tasty and Trader Joe's has one that tastes good but the tea bags pop if you let the hot water hit them. I know, us Yanks simply don't know how to make a proper cup of tea... :no-fin:

Patti in Vail AZ
 
Second night of Sleepytime tea and a second good night! I slept from 12 -4pm woke up and usually, that would be it, no more sleep. Instead I went back to sleep til 7am, so relieved.

I feel achey, in my foot, in my hip and all over. I am trying to be good and not weight bear but sitting on the sofa, lying on the sofa, not getting up other than to go to the loo or to kitchen for a cup of tea, is not at all good for me.

When I had my hip done in January, there was every emphasis on DVT with medication and TEDs. Now with foot break there has been no reference to it at all. Am I at no risk through laying and sitting for most of the day? Is it having an op that makes the difference? Any one know?
 
Do hope you feel better soon @copsham... Must be do aggravating after your THR recovery to go through all this.
I'm sure if you get up & walk around a little every hour you will be ok on the clotting front and I'm sure they would advise you if you needed something for prevention.
Going on Amazon for that sleepy time tea.... Loving the confusion with the cannabis! Take care... Chrissie d


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @copsham ~
Here's an interesting read from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - related to DVT following foot/ankle surgical interventions:
broken link removed: https://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jun11/clinical10.asp
It looks as though their take is that the risk of anticoagulant meds may outweigh the benefit but that individuals in higher risk categories (age over 40, body mass index (BMI) greater than 35, history of congestive heart failure, etc.) should be monitored more closely.
I feel that you/your physician need to evaluate your individual risk factors. Knee and hip replacement surgery is known to be high risk for DVT/PE for everyone.
Can you rent an exercise bike? If your foot were properly immobilized I would think you could use a recumbent exercise bike; with an upright bike you can exercise your upper body and "other" leg. Or try setting up an exercise routine with therabands or yoga exercises? Just throwing in stuff as it pops in my head - but getting a PT referral (or if you can't get it paid for then just get a trainer to come in for a time or two) might help.
I'd be going bonkers :headbang:

Patti in Vail AZ
 
Hi @DesertHorses and all my Bonesmart gang

Thanks so much for the really helpful info. It makes sense as I am not a high risk on any of those factors other than over 40 yrs old (just a little!!) I have been doing upper body exercises but feel I will waste away and put on weight if I carry on like this, even if there is not the risk of DVT. I was seen by an eminent consultant and a very new physiotherapist 9 days after my fall and they were of the opinion that I should do nothing until 6 weeks post op. I questioned this but they were adamant. Since then my hip has been painful due to over use and awkward use. I will definitely follow your suggestion and see a local physio. I can't see my Chinese Tui Na practitioner as he is a long drive away and his clinic is very inaccessible!

" I'd be going bonkers :headbang: " - I liked this - I am only going a little bit bonkers for several reasons:
  • I learnt a lot about Mindfulness meditation pre my hip op and dip in to that,
  • We moved, pre hip op in to a house with beautiful views with meadows and woodland around us,
  • New interest in astronomy
  • Supportive husband, family, lovely neighbour and friends
  • Using and benefiting from the Bonesmart gang
  • I used up my quota of "going bonkers' post hip op!
I do have my moments when I feel 'stir crazy" ask my husband he knows ....

My little 4 yr old grandson is charming. When he saw my crutch today he said "Wow you've got a witches broom stick" He put it between his legs and said its a really good one. It's got a handle"

Well my next appt on Weds is to see the Consultant for the result of a CT scan, hoping that this will show nothing more that the X-ray did.

Thank you to all my Bonesmart friends you are so much appreciated.
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny
Hope Sleepytime works for you. I have had 2 nights so improved. Let it brew so it is strong. Let us know how it goes.

Your little Sheltie looks gorgeous. just don't let her trip you up!! Your recovery has been a complex one and it is fantastic that you are out the other side Sleep well!
 
@copsham
You are amazing! You are definitely in the right place to heal~ physically and emotionally ~ I am on my way to get groceries and some sleepy time tea later this evening. Thank you for your help! If we lived in CO we could add cannibis to the tea I suppose. Maybe mixed w peppermint stirring sticks.:rotfl:
If you have expressed your concerns of DVT to your doctors and they are still telling you to stay down~ then I suppose that's your job~ as long as you are aware of warning signs then you are going to be ok I am sure! I hope the test results continue to show healing is happening.
Oh I love your grandson! What a delight to have him around to warm your heart ~ and flying on the witches broom with a handle is priceless!:loveshwr:
 
Good luck with results. I'm sure it will be fine. Keep smiling .. Oh BTW yes you receive support but also I would grade you as one of the most supportive people here.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom