THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @donor - what a price. The private hospital near me charges UK£11,000 inclusive for one hip for 2 night stay inc consultant fees so that is about US$18000. So hips joints are good business in US.
 
Oh dear @copsham~ I am so sorry for the mess you are in trying to get support and help~ it is frustrating when they are reactive instead of proactive.
I had difficulty getting in to see the doctors at first and you are right ~ it is because they have schedulers and screeners at the front ~ feels like war! Here is what I learned ~ I am not sure if this will help you or if your stomach could take it~but I was SO sugar nice to everyone on the phone no matter how mad I felt inside I got their names and called them by name~ I thanked them profusely for answering the phone ~ their job for heavens sake~and I told them Very sweetly I would call back in the afternoon and then again I thanked them for being so kind and for listening to me~I called them every morning and afternoon~ I was the best actress ~ I was fighting for my life and it worked! I had a list of names and times and kept at it. I cried too because the pain was agonizing~It worked for this southern gal ya'll. :) I got to the surgeon and three days later I was in the operating room. It helped to that my family carried me in doubled in pain! That was not part of the act!!!
On another note~ my hip and only the hip hardware was $50,000.00 ~More than a Mercedes! Best bling I've got and you can't even see it! Thank God I have excellent health insurance. Whew!
So @copsham I'm not sure this advice would work but my mom always said you get more flies with honey! Hang in there! You are in my prayers.
 
I'm a simple chap but are the aches not coming from putting strain on muscles that aren't used as much because the whole crutch swing is alien to our bodies putting pressure on back and legs.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Yes I think (know) you are right.
[Bonesmart.org] copsham's recovery thread

Earlier today it was a belated sign of movement in the hip from the fall OR one of the many pain syndromes that never go away. I was like this and it was only 2-3 days since my dramatic fall. Crazy but then that's me!!
 
Ok @@Sullivand its "more flies with honey tomorrow" I will try my best. The one thing I hate when I am trying to sort things out is thinking of the older/disabled/timid people who wouldn't have a chance.

So you are a Mercedes hip woman are you, definitely worth a lot. Aren't the prices amazing though!!
 
You go @copsham! I am rooting for you! Today is the day you will get on the schedule. Pour it on honey! Let us know how it goes. They are people on the other end of that phone who probably get yelled at often and they are calloused to the whole routine! Yep mere flies......
 
Wow hon! What a stumble and breaking dismount. Oi vey! Hang in there and speedy recovery♥️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Join the club lass, PT lady said to wife yesterday how do you put up with him, tut and double tut. Hope foot plays well.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham - oh my goodness - all the best for your appointment and I do hope your poor foot will recover fast - nasty! Thinking of you. And: Yes indeed anxiety and other psychological problems can make pain worse and the opposite is true, too. You need some positive thoughts, and this will alleviate the pain. I'm thinking some positive thoughts for you.

About hospitals, red tape and appointments: With me it also helped to be a good actress. What helped me often was to exagerate how I felt. A little cry and a whine and a moan often helped me reach my goal and get them to give me what I needed. Inefficient doctors' offices and hospitals are terrible. But it isn't just the NHS. You get that in Germany. For example, did I tell you I got misdiagnosed for disc prolapse instead of hip cox-arthritis in July 2014, had to wait about 6 weeks for an MRI - then the diagnosis was no disc prolapse, only a bulging disc, but not so bad. Then went to a different GP who immediately suspected a bad hip. But this was one of the reaons why my surgery got delayed. And @Kay9 I like your very descriptive expression about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. We have that expression in German. In fact, I didn't know you could say that in English.

So quick recovery for you, copsham. I'm still fine, except I don't always feel like getting up at 5:30 a.m. and go to work. Am going swimming in the lake again after work. Hugs
Constanze
 
@copsham did you get someone on the phone who cared about you yet? I see this problem from both sides as i manage a doctor's office. I am an advocate for patient rights with insurance companies AND I try my best to get the doctor paid correctly as well. You are right...older folks are taken advantage of because they cannot navigate the system. They are the folks I fight for for the hardest. Thinking good thoughts for you today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooohhhh honey, i feel your frustration. It sounds like your NHS is cry similar to my Kaiser systems in the U.S. It is awful to deal with when in pain and upset, but there is always a back door here, just takes some searching..... And serious Jedi calming mind tricks to stay calm in the fire.
We have a 24/7 nurse helpline.... This is always my go to back door through red tape because the RNs who answer, know how to work the system to help cut out or reduce the miles of red tape when they sense it is urgent. For me, it works to play stupid (which we are in red tape world) and to ask lots of sweet but intentional questions:
* what do i do to show the hip is now the primary concern when it took a few days after the fall to hurt?
* How can I get this message to the doctors?
* What if every step is making the freshly operated hip worse?

Questions like these will help the nurse to figure out a path through he red tape.

Often I then have another layer whereby an on call dr calls me back, repeat above questions with stern adamancy that you aren't getting off the phone without a clear path to the xray, pt, in hospital stuff.... But even though it seems
Like added red tape, this is the person who can change your hart and give you the golden ticket to the hospital.

I wish you the best darlin. My mom was a wicked awesome RN her entire life and I luckily got to watch her advocating for me on the phone and in appointments my entire sickly childhood. Helps when I try to embody her, not so much in a freshly operated state, half delirious, and just wishing someone would do it for me.

Find your backdoor. Nurse hotline. Surgeons email or his nurses phone. Something will manifest I know it. Get ready to be your best advocate and actress!!!! xoxoxoxo


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I found out, kind of by accident, that if I call my Dr's office during office hours, I get routed through voicemail to my Dr's Nurse's voicemail to leave a message. Which might or might not be returned that day. Or the next.

However, if I call after hours, my call is answered by an answering service and I will receive a call back from the on-call nurse/PA/?

So pressing questions like med combos, etc, can get more immediate feedback if I call after hours. My one prescription renewal request (so far) was returned same-day, so there is definitely some type of issue triage going on.
 
Hi all,
Finally an appt with the Consultant on Monday. Honey and treacle did not work as you can only get through to those who cannot make a decision and have been told not to pass things up. Not happy to have an appt in seven days when the original doctor said need to be seen in 3 days for decision re stability. but it was immovable. My operated hip is so sore most likely the over use because of crutches. Unfortunately the description of the healing of this type of fracture and recovery is similar or worse than that of a hip i.e. no weight bearing for 4-6 weeks, moon boot on for 12 weeks with minimal weight bearing etc..... no driving/no swimming etc. With the hip I prepared for being downstairs, having everything accessible and in order. Now I am on the sofa elevating all disorganised.

There are obviously new concepts in medical care to deal with
"Sorry I can't do anything we have a capacity issue" was yesterday.
"You were seen in the virtual clinic" really no one told me - so that's okay then????

So thank you all - the crazy woman has her appointment with all my Bonesmaties backing me up X
 
Hang in there @copsham ~ can you call now to see if you can get in if there is a cancellation? Now you're on the books maybe that is a phone call each morning? Just a thought? You are right~ we are your "people" here at Bonesmart! :)
 
Yup you have a world full of support, this internet thingmabob is quite good isn't it.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Legin,
The internet is fantastic and horrible for me at the same time, sort of addicted which is no problem when health dictates "no weight bearing" but when I have other things to do its a problem!

Hi @Sullivand you are right about trying for cancellation BUT who said logic prevails. Just rang up to be told "we don't have cancellations" "Not even when people can't get there?" "No" Then I had a call from someone else saying we have a cancellation can you come earlier on Monday! I just gulped and said "Yes". This is a lesson in taking the system as it is rather than getting "hyper" about everything - new strategy.

This just proves to me that me and ill health do not go together. My hip is still very sore but icing and elevating left hip and right foot - more challenging than when it was just my hip. x
 
@copsham
Wonderful! A cancellation~ You got that appointment sooner than later. So glad for you~ it has been a long frustrating journey ~I know! I hope your pain is just achiness from your fall and nothing else. Hang in there!
 
Am I surprised at NHS noooooo

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom