Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy your swims, but maybe no more long kneeling down for a while. Hugs from Constanze and lots of sunshine
 
Good morning Karen @copsham , just wanted to check in and ask if you are fine. I'm almost a week post op and getting euphoric already. I've been out with my husband , to a pizzeria. I hope I won't be one of the overdoers. Tomorrow, I'll start my rehab withintensive physiotherapy to get fit. I wish you lots of spring sunshine.
Constanze
 
@lilyfair thanks for your kind post. By Thursday night I was nearly back to post op normal. So it was a matter of over exertion rather than anything else.

@Constanze You sound like you are doing so well. I will be interested in how your rehab pans out and what you think of it. It sounded funny reading about your trip home, sounded like an almost secret "date". Hope things carry on as smoothly x

I took my g/son swimming on Saturday for a second time. I was much more careful, no kneeling down and less playing (on my part!) it worked well, did not affect me this time. Today I spent the morning lounging around which is very, very rare for me. In afternoon I went out for a walk, woodlands and meadows, in the sun so beautiful - bluebells, primroses and cowslips. I walked consistently and slowly up and down gentle hills for an hour and a half. My hip took it well but I am out of the routine of exercise so that I got breathless easily.

I really feel I need exercise but need to stick to swimming (no breaststroke) and to walking. I want to get more fit, having gone through the trauma's of the surgery, I really want to get fit to make it all worthwhile!!

On Monday I am starting back with my acupuncture and Tui na - a form of chinese massage/manipulation. I want to get the feeling back in to the area around my scar. I used to go pre op and found it very beneficial.

Lovely to hear from all x
 
In joy we forget our limitations. Sometimes its worth it tho

So true @Legin I find I need to find a balance and accept some pain providing I am not dislocating or loosening the hip. |A bit of pain is fine as long as it goes away and no lasting damage. Otherwise I wrap myself in cotton wool which is okay on occasion but not all the time. x
 
Wise words tho im often unwise

Legin THR Sep 14
 
yes but your wiseness make sense to us mere mortals!! x
 
True being a lesser being. Ooer being to power 2
 
Hi all,
Wanted to do an update and realised that i haven't done one for 8 weeks. There was a time when it was every day! I keep saying I am 99% better but the 1% kicked in today. I took my mother with dementia to a hospital ophthalmic appointment. She cannot walk far so I got a hosp wheelchair. She is probably nearly twice my weight so I was careful of my posture trying to take the strain on my arms and shoulders not my hips/back. BUT the wheelchair brake kept putting itself on when we were moving and in trying to control it I have made my hip ache.

It was a stressful time with mother confused not know where she was, ophthalmic nurses not understanding dementia, mother moved when a needle was in her eye!!! ugh!!! So tension/stress as well as the wheelchair have made my hip and back ache. So a hot bath and paracetamol. It is strange how the panic does not rear its ugly head. If this was 4 months ago I would be panicking about dislocation or loosening of the joint. It is also strange how other things take over - the preoccupation of the hip fades and other things take its place.

I think of you all often even though I am not posting so much X
 
@copsham I am happy to hear that your new hip is doing so well. Yes it is amazing how slowly our "new hip" fades into the background once we can start living our lives again. It is truly amazing and a blessing. Thank goodness for modern medicine! I know I will never ever take for granted my mobility. Each day I awake and I am so thankful for my two new hips and how I can live a normal life again.
Take care
Brenda
 
Great to hear from you @copsham - and with such good news too! Lovely that you are coping with all the traumas of normal life with scarcely a thought for your hip now. Very inspiring as always, thank you
:goodpost:
 
Aye you have hit it as its the stress of the situation that makes any weaknesses rear their head. All our muscles tense and the not necessarily panic but close to it often takes away all our learning of movement. Good that you don't think, about the hip that is not that you don't think that's my territory.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi all
A couple of hours ago I fell badly, missing the last step on our staircase. My foot turned and twisted under me and SPLAT! on the floor. It was agony but my hip was totally fine. My foot is throbbing and can't put my weight on it. BUT more importantly my hip is totally, completely fine.

I have had a sense of deja vu. How can I get to the toilet without putting my weight on my foot, will have to sleep downstairs, husband being extra attentive etc It felt like the first night home after hip op.

So 5 months after op, hip was very tough, no sense of movement loosening or anything. I am so lucky X
 
Oh my goodness @copsham, I do hope that you're okay? Flipping stairs!!! :holysheep:

You may need to get yourself checked out at A&E especially with the fact you can't put your foot to the floor, that's never right! :elevate:

Please keep us posted. I am guessing you're at home and not Tywyn xx

Take care love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Oh no. I am so sorry to hear the news about your fall, @copsham. I agree with @Nana moon 27 -- get that foot checked out just for piece of mind if nothing else. On the bright side, your hip passed a big test with flying colors! Sending best wishes for a peaceful and restful night -- take care of yourself, sweet woman.
 
So sorry!!! But I agree with the others that it would be a good idea to get checked even though you feel like everything is fine.
 
Oh dear, that must have made your heart stop for a moment! Glad your hip is fine, but bad about your ankle - hope you are elevating and icing! At least the old man has been trained for just such an occasion... special bloke :)
 
Copperrrrrs sheeeeesh, you trying to be me. Get it checked, its not a setback to hip recovery just one of those things. But I do feel for you after all younhave been thru and its not even start of Wimbledon yet.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi legin
I am going to the hosp shortly but when I tried to engineer myself to the bathroom, I thought of you. I was trying to drag a chair along with me to support me and not put any weight on offending foot. Every so often I accidentally put my foot down and ooh it felt like foot being put in acid (not that I have experienced that though). So I will keep you company, if i may, with zaps and ouches. BUT I keep thanking my lucky stars that hip not affected.

Like you I have been with visualisation for a long while. I used to have a wonderful self esteem tape for children - child is taken on a trip through the clouds meeting all sorts of wonderful soothing characters.
x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom