Guest viewing is limited

THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Constanze
I just did 3 lengths of 50m, I wasn't game to stretch myself more than that. Did 5 lengths this morning. My last swim pre op was on either 13th or 14th Jan so it has been a three month gap. Such a relief to be swimming again.

The oldest woman in England to have children was 60yrs old, IVF in India. The worst thing for me is the fact that the mother may not be able to see them through to their young adulthood. I am coping with my mother with dementia, imagine if i had to deal with this in my early twenties if my mother had had me in her sixties!

Earlier this evening I tried Bio oil on my scar to try to improve it and just like 6 weeks ago I am having a reaction, my scar is burning. Bio oil looks so natural and innocuous I am surprised at its ingredients!
 
@copsham - A plain vitamin e capsule, break it open or straight up lavender oil no
other ingredients help. I also find it helpful to rub gently in circular motions around and on
top of scar. You are trying to provide gentle multi directional stress to tissues to get more
mobility and flexibility back into them.
 
Hi @souldancer Thanks for your helpful posts. Yes I put the Bio oil on my wrist and got a rash like a nettle rash.

I will try the vitamin E oil tomorrow. Your description re the stress to the tissues makes sense!

x
 
Have you tried emollient. I use mine as soap. Also cared for chap who had very poor condition skin I would put loads in his bath as a gentle moisturising process started.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @copsham,

Sorry to sound like a grump but I hope you don't mind my suggesting you try the Vit E oil on your wrist first, especially with the way you are reacting. I couldn't put anything on my knee scar in the end. Everything burned me.

Love Ann x
 
@Legin Thats a good idea. Late last night I had an epsom salt bath, meant to nourish the skin and promote a good sleep. Instead I was awake for half of the night. My body is so contrary some times.

I am going to try Vit E oil which I have got somewhere - @Nana moon 27 good idea re test patch first and then buy and try emollient which I know does not irritate my skin. Thanks for this.. My scar/wound/incision is looking a bit red and angry this morning. I would just leave it to sort it self out but it is SO dry!

xx
 
@Nana moon 27 if you "sound like a grump" you are a very helpful grump, you are always so caring and constructive! I appreciate your posts!!
 
The emolient may help on dry thing. Right now my psoriasis is thru the roof and so itchy. All tell me to stop scratching by my instruction but at night well had to change sheet again.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I ask people to say it as its a nom thinking reaction for me I just scratch without thought also I can open large areas right now an area from elbow to three inches off wrist. Most done in night. At work I have to wear long sleeves or I use cycling forearm covers.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We have really different reaction to this. I have eczema on my scalp - drives me bananas , but hate it if hubby says "don't hurt yourself" or some such reminder (my denial of the issue?) Oh well these things seem to be sent to try us just to prove we are more than human! It seems that a lot of us on Bonesmart have other health things too. You have more that your fair share! x
 
Never really thought that way just its life. Im v aware itwas me who blindly wore this body out. And yes we do hurt our selves when we dont just scratch but dig to point of bleeding. Anyway tiz life.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
An update I am thirteen weeks post op where has the time gone? Until last Sunday I would have said everything was going well and this phase recovery was over BUT I took my grandson swimming on Sunday and on Monday I was aching all over and had stiffened up! It is now Wednesday night and not improved. When I get up from a chair I have to pull myself up I then hobble for the first few steps. I am much slower on the stairs too . It could be a lot worse but it reminds me how I used to be pre op. Oh boy I thought I was off the roller coaster but I am back on again x
 
Hi @copsham - are you stiff in your new hip or just everywhere? One of the things I found with water exercise (pre-op) is that I would go a bit too gung-ho at the beginning, thinking I was fitter than I was ... and then just be in misery for the next couple of days. Could it be that for you? Here's hoping you have plenty of sunshine (or warm showers) to make you feel better today. :)
 
Yup Aunt it reminds me of when I first started playing squash again next day every muscle in legs seemed to scream at me. Hope it improves

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Great Aunt Janet and @Legin. It came from kneeling in the "baby pool" getting up /down/moving around etc. On Tues I thought oh .... (expletive) I hope I have not loosened the implant. Then today there is improvement - my operated side does not feel as weak and bruised as it did so hopefully this was an over reaction on my part. So fingers crossed and thank you xx
 
Hi Copscam,
Sounds like you are having a long hard recovery. I am impressed that you went swimming and water walking. I am still waiting to do that. I hope your aches and stiffness are just temporary from overdoing work out. It is amazing how this procedure (hip replacement) makes us feel so fragile for so long. Happy swimming, but do take care.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom