THR Constanze's recovery diary

Hi @dougie0216 - I'm pleased with your bike successes and your yard work. No pruning, planting and applying mulch for me yet because it has snowed again. Actually did ride my bike to the haircutters, and had my hair trimmed, and then rode it back - that was good (about 32 kms altogether), but on Sunday the snow started again, and we all went out showelling instead of yard work. But I had a run in the winter wonderland today - the snowy forest of the town of Langen (near Frankfurt) next to my work (3 degrees below freezing).
We don't have such intensive sunlight like in the US or Australia, so this couldn't have caused my cataract. Cataract is a part of normal aging and seems to be easy to treat - the op seems to be less of an issue than receiving a new hip. However, an ophthalmologist of mine thinks mine happened so early because I'm shortsighted ( have myopia - can one still say shortsighted or is that too derogatory - in British English it seems to be perfectly ok). I'll probably have the cataract operated after my triathlon and England holiday in summer. No issue with the left hip - no deterioration of the unoperated hip after all this running. I wish you a great spring - Constanze
 
Hello Constanze my "old" friend. Hope your eye op goes well, or is it over already(?). You are lucky that you have not got macular degeneration. My mother is almost blind with it, my aunt had it, my grandmother had it and my cousin is almost blind with it, so genetically I think I have a high chance of getting it too. Glad your 3 year old hip is doing well, mine is too. Definitely lucky with it. Wish you well, let us know how you are doing.
 
Good morning @copsham. I enjoyed reading a post from you! How are things going.
No, I haven't had my cataract op yet. I posted on another thread (I think it was Doughie's) that I would have it done after July. Then I'll be able to plan better. First, I've got a triathlon coming up on 3 June - the half Ironman at Kreichgau near Heidelberg (1.9 km swimming, 90 km biking and a half marathon). I'm busy training for it. For July, my husband and I have a holiday planned in Devon and Cornwall - you can keep your fingers crossed that the weather will be fine for us. At the moment we are still experiencing temperatures below 0 at night (throughout the whole northern hemisphere, I think).
 
I'm going to give this post the heading
"Overdoing of a different kind"

No don't worry about it - I didn't damage my new hip.

This is to describe a case of a different kind of overdoing. While we are always warned not to do too much too soon, it's also possible that you are too happy and excited and please with your OP result that you injure yourself in an accident because you're not careful enough.

In fact - soon, I'll have my 3rd hip anniversary and 2 marathons, 2 half marathons, extensive running, household chores, lifting heavy objects, gardening, and many travels to the southern hemisphere have not worn out my hip - a medical micacle as a running friend and colleague from work put it. No, the overdoing in my case is rather different.

Here is my concrete story:

I was stressed out at Easter. My whole family was visiting (that is 10 people incl. hubby & me) which, as usual, involved getting the beds ready, tidying up - and meals have to be cooked for more people than I'm used to (normally just the 2 of us). That's a challenge for me because I've never been the welll-organised house-keeper and there were mishaps that shattered my confidence.

So on Easter Saturday, 4 of us went swimming (my 1st & 2nd daughters + my 2nd daughter's partner). At least one thing I can do well: sport. So I swam 1.5 km at the indoor pool and enjoyed it. Then I looked for my family. They were in the jacuzzi waving to me. In my euphoria (because I completed the 1 1/2 km swimming successfully), I jogged towards the jacuzzi. Only a fool would jog barefoot on slippery ground. I fell flat on my back, buttocks, and head. So instead of having a relaxing small talk with my kids in the jacuzzi, I ended up in the emergeny ward - my first daughter drove and I was lucky to be treated quickly. They used surgical glue on my head for the wound and gave me a tetanus shot - then sent me home - the doctor thought I was fit but should come back if I experience late signs of concussion. I did not experience any of that.

The thing is, I can't run now. My buttocks are bruised worse than I thought at first, and running hurts. I was also crying - not so much because of the pain. I'm pretty good at tolerating pain. No, it's more because of the disappointment - it's my triathlon in June that might be at stake. I have to give running a rest for a few weeks. However, thank you, thank you Bonesmart friends - I'm saying it time and again - you have helped me a lot - even with this unfortunate accident: Icing and elevating is the treatment of choice - and Diclofenac ointment. I succeeded in getting the tense muscles and other soft parts relaxed at least to the extent that I will be able to cycle again next week. Cycling is my weakest discipline in triathlon anyway so I will concentrate on that one. ...and swimming - that's actually therapeutic because it's non-weight-bearing. You can all wish me luck now that the pain will subside further. Thanks again for "listening" and all the useful advice I received from you.
 
No advice to give because you're already doing all you should. I hope the pain subsides quickly and you're able to get back to training in time! New hips don't insulate us from the other pitfalls of life, do they? Take care of yourself! I'm glad you can see this as an opportunity to work on your cycling.
 
I'm so sorry @Constanze
I understand your disappointment but am thankful your injuries weren't more serious.
Use this as an opportunity to strengthen your cycling and swimming. Prayers your body heals
and for comfort and peace as you move forward.
Hugs to you :console2:
 
Hello @SaraK and @Layla ,
Many thanks for your warm and wise words. The pain is subsiding. Diclofenac ointment has proved to be the most effective one out of possible treatments (apart from rest :). I'm off to the swimming pool today.
Hugs to you back - Constanze
 
Oh my stars, Constanze.
Just reading of your accident.
So glad you are healing..
!:bignono:!
No falling down, I say...is in the rule book!
Sounds strange to say glad you hurt everything but your hip:heehee:
Hope you are feeling better...and have a great weekend:SUNsmile:
 
Thank you for your warm get-well words @Mojo333 . I appreciate it. I'm also an "impatient", not a patient. I miss the running for many reasons (not only because I want a runner's high, haha, but for actual "health" reasons and the social life I share with my running group from work). But if I run already, it hurts. As I wrote on Layla's thread, I ran too much yesterday, but today, I'm unable to do anything but rest (ice and elevate). The weather is fine, though, and at least that helps me cheer up - hope you have some fine weather, too, and that winter is finally over in the States, too.
Have a lovely weekend
 
Just read about your recent fall, @Constanze, and I'm so sorry that happened and about your injuries. Here's hoping you continue to get better and better, and get back to your preferred activities soon! It's a good reminder to all of us to be very careful when moving around. I find that as I age, falling has much more dire consequences than it did when I was younger. I haven't fallen in over 3 years, and I want to keep it that way.
 
I've been reading your recent posts @Constanze and am both impressed and inspired. I ran before the hip pain became unbearable- not marathon distances- just halfs and 10kms, and had virtually written off any thoughts of running again after THR until I read your post. At the moment, it even a few kms seem inconceivable. Can I ask, how long post op were you before you started doing any running again?
Hope you have a fast recovery from your fall and that it doesn't set your training back too far.
 
Thought you people deserve an update - it would be unfair to leave you all, worrying. No, I didn't damage my hip, otherwise I'd feel a lot worse - it must have been the soft parts that hurt. I was getting paranoid, but I thought logically - this hip has survived so much work and the bone has firmy grown into it by now. But recovering from the fall took so long. Doing less also means my muscles are less strong now. I'm slowly but surely easing back into my training, and I'm doing it in the same way as returning to exercise after my op. But as I said, it's taking long. I no longer need to ice and elevate, but must take it easy and go slowly. Yesterday, I ran 14 km but at snail's pace (nothing like my below 6 mins/km in my half-marathon in February). Also - city cycling has started in the town where I go to work - it's organised by this "Climate" association in Europe that promotes emitting less CO2 fumes. And I'm taking part. My route to work is 26 km (about 15 miles) I think. Trying to improve but now I get sore in other places of my thighs - however, I always recover from that. I was a fool, but lucky again. Now you all know that overdoing can happen even after 3 (!) years.
 
Glad you didn't hurt those hips when you fell.
I haven't gotten that far, but I've overdone it at close to one year...not fun.
You are amazing..and honest...and strong.
I'm still learning how to edit myself to keep from hitting the ODIC.
Hope your week is grand.
 
I'm sorry you are behind where you'd like to be in training for the triathlon, but so glad you are able to get back into the training now. Those darn ton muscles can be pesky! Good luck with the rest of your training!
 
Thank you @Mojo333 and @SaraK . For cycle training, I'm also in another programme now - "Stadtradeln" - "City Cycling" that is in English. It's organised by a climate association and the idea is to leave your car at home from time to time and at the same time to do something for your health. My employer has one team for the community where my employer is located. The team in the community (city or town) that has done the most mileage wins. So I'm using this cycle programme to commute to work and train for the triathlon. My commute to work is 26 km (about 15 or 17 mile). Trying to improve on the speed. Best wishes to all of you - Constanze
 
Thankfully you didn't damage your hip.
I'm sorry it's taken you some time to recover from that fall. But, you're recovering! :yes!:
I can't help but laugh because your recovery is more than the majority of us do in a day.
Maybe even a month! :rotfl: You're a champ, that's for sure. An inspiration too.
A great week to you!
@Constanze
 
I agree, Layla. Constanze and @dougie0216 are both inspirational to me! I'm not sure if I'll ever get into running (any distance) or long-distance cycling (at this point, I don't even own a bicycle), but I'm determined to find my own ways to live life to the fullest and enjoy all of the activities I can now do with 2 good hips!
 
You're a real inspiration @Constanze! Am loving reading about your triathlon training. Think using the commute to work as a way of improving performance is brilliant- and great for the environment too!
 
Thought I'd update so my friends don't worry about me. After my fall on my back, thigh, and buttocks in April, I finally used the same recovery strategy as for my hip recovery (resting, "slowly does it") and had a rest from running for about 4 weeks. Now I can "stand up again" and "run again" (as Lenny Krawitz says in his song). I also participated in the "City Cycling" program with my colleagues for my employer and cycled over 700 kms in 3 weeks for my team. :bicycle1:

So my triathlon is on June 3rd and I'm going to enjoy it.

I wish you all a goog outcome with your various surgeries,happiness.:flwrysmile:and sunshine
Constanze
 
@gillycat11 - sorry; forgot to answer your question: After my op, I started running again after 13½ weeks. I phased it in extremely slowly. First just 1km at a time and "run-walk-run" alternately. I increased the amount of running in one go gradually by about 1km about every 3rd day until I managed to do 5 in one go - but of course my slow jog at that time was about as slow as others walk. I increased the distance before I increased my speed. Now - after my bad fall at the swimming pool - I proceeded in exactly the same way. Best wishes - Constanze
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom