THR Constanze's recovery diary

Your story is very inspiring @Constance. Your half marathon, especially. I am also happy to hear that your other hip is okay! I am now almost 6 weeks post op! Have been doing up to 5km with crutches. May get rid of the crutches in the coming week and planning to do a. 5 km parkrun on New year's day without the crutches! Have you used a walking stick or any other support initially, or was your adjustment after crutches as smooth as the rest of your journey? I am so looking forward to moving more again. But must admit, I am quite anxious about running. How long after your operation did you start running? Have a great 2016, with great race challenges.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum Annelize Buys 18/11/2015
 
Hi @Annelize Buys,
Thank you. That's very nice of you to say so.

Well, indeed, I used 2 crutches for about 4 weeks and then nothing. Using one crutch/stick was not recommended to me because they said 2 were better to help me relearn to walk symmetrically again.

As far as running is concerned, I started after 13 weeks. First I used the run-walk-run method, i.e. running for just one Km and very slowly, then Walking the next and so on - 5 Kms altogether. I increased the running distance each time. When i could run 8 Kms, I also slowly increased the speed. Besides, I don't heel-strike, i use my middle foot. I don't run as intensively as I did pre-op - too one-sided. I usually run twice a week and mix my running with swimmng and cycling. Occasionally, I Train on the machines at the gym. Hope this helps. Carry on the way you do. You're doing fine. Happy New Year - Constanze
 
Thank you @Granny Di , I had my race and enjoyed it. I didn't tire myself out but took it easy - and so I did 12.5 Km in 1 hours 20 minutes. It was raining and we ran in the fields - it was partly quite muddy.

I wish everybody all the best for 2016, health, success and no pain. Hugs to you all - Constanze
 
Hi Constanze

Well done hope you have your feet up recovering and enjoying a wee drink as we are about to enter 2016. Keep safe and have a fab year.


Billy
 
Way to run @Constanze! I still can't get over how you are able to run like that! You are an inspiration and I won't be running but you have got me out skiing. Cheers! Prost!
Diane
 
Hi everybody,
Today is my 1-year anniversary for the new hip. I haven't scheduled an appointment for my 1-year checkup x-ray. I mustn't forget, but it's easy for me to forget that.

I'm able to do all my favourite types of sport again (even running - did a half-marathon in February), and beyond that (for example basic yoga, which I couldn't do pre-op). I can also stand on my feet longer, for example in the kitchen and in shopping malls. Ever since the op, I've also been on a few long-haul flights - Australia and New Zealand. My colleague at work says it's a medical miracle.

I would like to thank @Granny Di , @Great Aunt Janet, @isolde , @copsham , @sunbunny , @wcgirl , @craftdee , @Midchild54 , @webbie73 @Cindy99 , @Legin , @Molly12 and @forbesy and anyone I may have forgotten for all the encouragement. I have always found it fun talking to you and I'm interested in reading your reports and points of view. I hope you have all recovered and are getting on with life.

Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hi, saw your post on Zuzzets thread and just wanted to say hello.
I'm sure we traded at least 1 post during my recovery .
Can't believe how well your replacement has turned out. That is so great.
Have a great time on your upcoming trip.
 
Hi @lalo ,
Yes I remember you. I have often been told to exercise caution, but I have no issues. I don't train as hard as before the op and allow myself the right amount of rest after a strenuous run and/or go swimming or cycling to achieve a balanced training regimen and release any kind of muscle stiffness. But that's common sense and applies with or without hip replacement.

How are you getting on. How is your hip. When did you have the operation.

Nice reading from you again. Best wishes

Constanze
 
@Constanze
On the whole I'm doing pretty good.
My walking is very good .
The only thing is that I still have a lingering touch of sciatic nerve pain.
It was there after the 1st surgery when they tried to pin the bones after the accident.
I still go to water exercises 3 times a week and hope to improve.
Thanks for asking. It's nice to hear from you.
 
Hi @Constanze, I've got to schedule my one year follow up appt., too. The time has flown! I'm excited to hear that you are doing so well. It's wonderful. What a change from a couple of years ago. I'm amazed at all that you are doing. Congratulations.
 
Hi @Constanze - I think you are the miracle patient every ortho would love to have. Somehow I doubt you are the norm in your country but I could be wrong. I have not booked my one year appt yet - waiting until after the stem cell donation which happens next week in Toronto. I will keep you posted on results.
Diane
 
Yes, @Constanze, it's our 1 year anniversary! It seems so long ago when I would count every slow minute during recovery. How I wanted that year to pass quickly. As I look back I'm amazed how well we did in spite of all the angst. I'm doing some 'spring cleaning' and moved a bicycle in and out of the garage rinsing it down and lubricating the chain. Could I get back on? I've been back doing so many other things that I had 'given up on.' It would be a huge milestone for me. You are an inspiration! I have so many things I want to do this summer! Here we go! :happydance:
 
It's a forest marathon south of the the town where I work (Langen near Frankfurt). It takes place in August 2016. I'm preparing carefully and am trying to get a balanced training programme. When I've got exhausted muscles, I rest or go cycling or swimming. I don't run as much and as hard as pre-op because it's not necessary. Slow and easy is how I finish marathons. It worked for me in 2013 and it will work for me again, because I have got stronger legs now.
But first - tomorrow - I'm off to England with my Family.
Best wishes - Constanze
 
Hello Constance,
I was lucky to find your post. Your recovery is inspiring, to run, do yoga, bike, even walk without pain is a blessing. I had surgery in 2013, a labrum resection at Atos Klinic. Unfortunately i am having severe pain again. I live near you in Hochheim. I would like to request a referral for a hip specialist nearby. I think you stated you found someone in Wiesbaden, and I would appreciate any information.
 
How are you @Constanze? You are one of the few that I connected with still posting from March 2015. I have been having groin pain and I have booked an appointment with my surgeon. I hope it isn't anything serious. It is so hard to keep the activity level just right, not too much and not too little.
Are you still running and biking?
I see you have been very active encouraging posters on this forum.
All the best!
Diane
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom