THR Constanze's recovery diary

Hi @Granny Di , nice to read a new message on bonesmart from you. I, too, hope your groin pain isn't anything serious and will subside on its own. Good like with your appointment.

Meanwhile, I've finished the marathon I mentioned. I managed to do it in 5 hours 33 minutes. I used to run marathons just under 5 hours, but 5 1/2 isn't bad considering the fact that I couldn't run for 2 years and started again in August 2015. It was terribly hot on August 28, when I had my marathon - 32 °C (88 °F) and I filled myself up with water, so after a while, my stomach felt strange and I had to walk from time to time. But my hips are ok - both the operated one and the unoperated one. Strangely enough, there were two more women over 60. I rank second among the 3 women in the W60 class. There are really great hobby athletes around in my area. Tomorrow, I'll run again, just 12 k after work. The run is organised by the German air traffic controlers' organisation. They are located next to my work, and we'll run in the forest of Langen, next to work. It'll get very hot again tomorrow. Germany's going through a period of fine summery weather (in the real summer it wasn't so good actually).

I also do cycling. Not so much to work, though. That's getting a bit boring. I like cycling along the rivers - the Mai and the Rhine.

All the best from
Constanze
 
Congratulations on the marathon! That just makes me smile that it can be done. No running for me yet, just too scared of messing something up. I was having what I called "glitch days" where I was having anterior pinching pain that came on after sitting, but then would go away as quickly as it came on. It really seemed out of the blue, and I've gone now a couple weeks without it, so happy. Just thinking it's tissue healing figuring out where it should & should be in this recovery, growing process. Who knows I could be way off on that though. I just hope it doesn't come back. Glad to hear that your other hip is doing fine & held up well for marathon training and the race. That really is an amazing feat! I also do swimming & biking and am thrilled that I can do these without pain.
Glad to see you come back with marathon reports.
 
Oh well @gardengal - I finished my 12k air traffic controlers' challenge run - another run in sweltering hot temperatures. Are you experiencing a heat wave on the other side of the Atlantic as well?

As regards the marathon - I don't want to encourage everyone in Bonesmart to do likewise. But just so that you know it can be done. This was my 11th marathon and I think doctors can tell I run long distances just by looking at my body - they don't even have to look thoroughly (I remember the remark by an orthopedician who saw me in the rehab center where I went for rehab).

The rule of thumb is to exercise caution if you run, because you might need a revision sooner - the device will not last the full 25 years they estimate it would last according to the state of the art view. However, I had my hip replacement at the age of 58, that means it should last until I'm 83. So why not enjoy running while I'm able to - who wants to run a marathon at 75, 80, 83? But who knows - we are all in better health now and live longer :) than we used to. Modern medicine makes it possible (see my excellent surgeon). Well my surgeon probably guessed that I'm fond of long-distance running, too. He provided me with an extra robust device - titanium stem, ceramic ball and ceramic cup. I think that lasts longer than 25 years. He also said I should do sport because I had osteoporosis. What sort of sport is easier than running. It doesn't cost much and all you need is good shoes. And you needn't travel to a gym or a swimming pool or buy an expensive bike that needs servicing. You can run anywhere in all weathers. It also saves time. Best wishes to everybody - in all time zones - Constanze
 
Amazing! What a feat you have accomplished @Constanze! I never thought it was possible for anyone to run a marathon after a hip replacement. You must be very light in weight? I agree we need to have fun while we can doing whatever pleases us as life is very short and things can change so quickly.
I am still trying to figure out the cause of my pain and had a super massage which has my therapist thinking it could be from my back or from doing the breast stroke when swimming. I have a physio appt on Monday so I will get an opinion and advice from my physiotherapist.
Really though life is pretty good here -our pup is maturing and behaving much better, my brother is improving slowly, the weather is great, my kids and grandchildren are awesome, and my husband is supportive (which means he vaccums and helps with house work haha) .
We have to count our blessings!
Keep on running! You are an inspiration!
Diane
 
Hi all,
The end of the year is approaching and I have recently read a few updates from my old bonesmart friends from 2015. So I take the opportunity to drop you people a line. 2016 has been a good year for me from the point of view of my hip and I have really enjoyed exercise again. In January, we went to New Zealand to enjoy the heatwave :) there. New January, we'll be going again. This time to the southern island which is said to be even more impressive. I look forward to seeing the mountains and the fjords. On the athletic "front", my latest achievement is that I've just finished a crawl swim course for adults to improve my swimming technique. This will help me swim better (hopefuly a bit faster, too) next summer, when I go swimming in the lake again. I also completed a forest marathon in my area in 5 1/2 hours last August - partly walking, but I finished it. It was over 30°C (more than 86 in Fahrenheit). In fact, it was the heat that slowed me down, not my legs.
I know now that my former scepticism when I was told by doctors and fitness trainers how well one can recover with a new hip was totally unjustified. I wish everybody in the hip forum a wonderful Christmas, a Happy New Year, health and above all health hips.
Constanze
 
Nice to hear an update of your 2016 travels and fitness achievements. So inspiring to read that marathon distances are doable after a hip replacement. Good for you too on taking that swim course. learning and growing, have to be glad for that. I like to swim as well, but an actual class would help me with speed and efficiency. I no longer think about my hip so much any more. Fitness is improving, and we will be skiing soon. We have a few ski resorts easy driving distance nearby, so we'll definitely be getting out in the year. We have enough snow now here in northern Michigan that if I got out before the new year I can say I haven't missed a year. I completely agree about all the worry and uncertainty of what the future can hold fitness wise before having the surgery. Nice to have all that angst behind me & know that future looks good on the fitness front. Merry Christmas to you too.
Michelle
 
I see you're into longer distances, but wonder if they still have the volksmarches in various towns on weekends. We really enjoyed those when we lived in Germany. Such a nice peaceful way to spend time with the family on a weekend. I still have my medals!
 
@SaraK , Yes, we do still have them - or "Wandertage" (hiking days) as we call them, e.g. the Wiesbadener Wandertage: https://www.wiesbaden.de/sport/veranstaltungen/content/wandertage.php - Wiesbaden is not very far from where I live.
However, I must admit, I never participated in one of them. I used to go hiking as a child and as an adolescent with my parents and my sister. I grew up in Munich and "Bergwandern" (hill walking, hill hiking) in the Alps is the favourite sport of the Munich people. We start when we are school children. And it feels so great to reach the summit. If the weather is fine, you have a phantastic view. And it's a good endurance sport that stops you from becoming overweight and getting heart disease. Whereabouts in Germany did you live? Best wishes - Constanze
 
We were south of Munchen in Bad Toelz. My dad was US Army and we were there from 1972 - 1975 - in other words, during NATO missile crisis (although they sheltered us kids from that). Our school on base had Thursday afternoons set aside for leisure activities. You'd sign up for one activity a semester - included everything from playing cards to bowling to skiing, ice skating and mountain hiking. Loved it there!
 
Lovely, @SaraK , Bad Tölz is familiar to me. Great place. I miss the mountain hiking and the skiing. And between Munich and the Alpes there are various lovely lakes - you probably know - Starnberger See, Ammer See, Walchensee, Kochelsee. My dad had 2 small collapsable canoes that he built up in spring and we went in the boats (my mum, my dad and my sister) often at weekends from April to October. These are also great swimming lakes. I'm happy you lived in southern Germany and we can share the experience. Maybe one day you can come over again.
Constanze
 
I'd love to return some day. It's absolutely gorgeous and so temperate in the summer. I've forgotten so much over time and would also like to see things again through adult eyes.
 
I thought I would come check in on your page. I got set back a couple of weeks. I felt something pop in my shoulder while airing up a bicycle tire last month. Fortunately it is only bursitis.
I got 2 injections today and some steroids. My wife just laughed at me.
Doctor said if it doesn't hurt to ride (it doesnt) to give it a couple of days and get back to it.
So training for real started yesterday on the yoga mat, then pilates ball and resistance bands. I just got back from 2 mile walk. It is supposed to warm up Thursday so I plan to get a quick 16-20k ride in after work. I have next week off so hopefully I will be up to 30K in short order.
50-mile race on 27/8/18. Woo Hoo!
How is your training going? What is next?
 
Sorry about the setback @dougie0216 - hope you are able to get back in the Saddle (so to speak) Thursday. 50 miles is quite impressive! I was happy with 5 miles on stationary with no resistance last week!
 
Constanze-so good to read how well you are doing! It has been awhile since I checked in so am visiting pals. You sound full of adventure!
 
Hello, @SaraK , @labanan and @dougie0216 - so pleased to read posts from you here on my thread. I haven't posted for a long time - too much work, too many (eye) doctor's appointments. I noticed my myopia (shortsight) ha deteriorated drastically and so at first bought new glasses and contact lenses, saw the ophthalmologist also to confirm I have cataract, and he also suspected macular degeneration - very scary - which I got tested for but luckily haven't got. So I've just got cataract which they can correct and it's routine. But before I have the OP, I'll do my Half-Ironman - not much longer - June 3rd, and after that, I'll go to England with hubby (his country). We are going to Devon and Cornwall - south-west. We'll be spending a fair amount of time in Devon - the place which is so warm that palm trees can grow there - I wander how much longer that will last considering the climate change (which is also affecting the Gulf Stream, so they say). We want to enjoy it while it's there.

Hip is normal. My other, unoperated leg, too. Running and swimming is good. Haven't done much cycling this year, yet, because we've had a late spring and temperatures were often below freezing up until early this month. But yesterday, I cycled to work and back - over 25 km each way. What's the weather like where you are, SakaK, Labanan and Dougie.

Dougie, I hope your shoulder has got better now. Happy cycle training.

Wishing everyone a lovely spring

Constanze
 
Glad everything is going so well with you, @Constanze. I recently had new lenses put into both of my eyes because of cataracts, and it wasn't difficult at all, compared to THR! Good that you don't have the macular degeneration. Enjoy your race and then your visit to England. Sounds heavenly!
 
I have diabetes, so they check for macula degeneration each year. My blood sugar has never been too far out of control, though, so it decreases the chances of some of those complications. Keeping fingers crossed but, so far, so good. I'm in St. Louis, Missouri. We have a large German population in the state (one area in Mid-Missouri is called Little Bavaria because so many German immigrants settled here because it reminded them of Bavaria. But the winters here are not nearly as snowy as what we had in Bad Tolz and the summers are much more hot and humid. Large swings this time of year - it will be high 30s or low 40s (Fahrenheit) today but it's not unusual in March for the high to be in the teens or the 60s (sometimes changing from one to the other overnight). I'm glad both of yours hips are doing well. The first anniversary of my first hip will be day before your 3rd anniversary. If it weren't for the more recent THR reminding me, I definitely wouldnt even think about that one any more. Since I got in better shape after that surgery, I can do more with that one now than I could before I started having problems with it. Hoping to be able to say the same with the other soon! I'm not sure a half Ironman (or even thinking nothing about cycling 25km each way) is ever in my future, but I plan on having fun seeing whether I can wear out these hips. my passion is going out dancing! :happyfeet:in fact, I didn't wait on the 2nd THR because the hip was interfering with the dancing!

Have a great day!
 
Good (Central European time) morning @Krista and @SaraK, and thank you for keeping fingers cross for my upcoming eye treatment. Krista, I'm glad everything went well with your cataract op.
It looks like another cold spell in Germany - they forecast a drop in temperatures for tomorrow (in some areas below freezing). I'm a bit apprehensive - I intended to cycle the 15 kms to my favourite hairdressers tomorrow to train for a bit of cycing and avoid a parking problem with the car - killing two birds with one stone. But they said it might snow. Let's hope it won't go below 0 in the Rhine-Main area (which has a predominantly mild climate) and that it will just rain here. Best - Constanze
 
@Constanze Understand the cataract thing. I have the beginning of one in my right eye. Back in the 60's when we ran around all day in the summer with no sunglasses... Our fate was sealed. Once I moved to Alaska in the 70's, the low sun angle made sunglasses mandatory.

Cycling is good. Ride some hill intervals this am. Short, fast and hard workout. Rain was on the way. Group ride on Wed I hope.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom