THR Constanze's recovery diary

@Sergios. I logged on in Bonesmart today but I had to accept the privacy policy first. I hadn't done this for a few days, because I was not online - was busy with my triathlon among other things. Maybe it works now - just try again.
Well no, I didn't go to the Atos-Klinik (expensive! your're right). I had my operation done at the Aukamm-Klinik in Wiesbaden. You can google it. They have information in English. My surgeon was Dr. Meyer - an excellent surgeon to my mind. The operation is free for people who are insured in Germay, but I don't know about those from outside Germany. But I take it you are in the EU. Maybe there is a ruling with Cyprus whereby you can have the op for free as well - just inform yourself. After leaving the hospital, I went to the Aukamm-Rehab-Centre which is only 2 houses removed from the Aukamm hospital in the same street. Maybe they are a bit old, but renovated their house 3 years ago, and they have very competent physiotherapists and a well-organised recovery programme. But you needn't go to a rehab centre, if you prefer rehab at home, that's ok - so I have learned. But they recommeded it and I got the time off work. I though I might as well take this opportunity. It would be nice if you could carry on posting in Bonesmart and let everyone know how you're getting on. - Good luck - Constanze
 
Did your surgeon justify specifically why you shouldn't run - is it the general warning like too much impact on the joints or does it refer to your personal situation.

My surgeon mentioned this restriction, while admitting he has some patients who do run. I don't know if there's research on this, but I remember from running shoe animations that running is particularly hard on the hips - each footfall may seem light, but the repetitive nature of running is like striking the joint at the hip with a little hammer over and over again. Intuitively, especially to a surgeon who's worried his/her hard work is being ruined, it would seem like it could damage an artificial joint faster than walking - but intuition isn't always correct. Have you seen any studies on this?
 
@Bone-obo: Ah the same old story: impact. I learned this, too. In fact, I did see a study from Japanese researchers on marathon runners with artificial hips mentioned on the internet, and no evidence was found that the hips were worn out faster, but that was 3 years ago and I didn't save the link. You can try googling the infomrmation.
It also seems to me that ceramic is more robust than plastic - most hip balls and the lining of the cup are usually made of ceramic today.
Moreover, you can try to minimize the impact: Running shoes that damp the impact, keeping your weight reasonably low if you can, muscle strength training, and above all: a good running technique - upright & middlefoot/front foot striking is preferred to heel striking. Happy running - if you wish to consider it.
 
@Constanze, I thought I remembered such a study, but couldn't remember where - I may go see if I can find it. I ran for a while before I got sidelined by arthritis, but it was more therapy than passion, if you know what I mean - I just like doing things outdoors that get my heart rate up, and cycling does that just fine. But I always enjoyed it, so who knows? At any rate, it's always fun to read about your marathons!
 
That's brilliant, @Bone-obo , thank you for sharing.

This article also refers to the constant pounding which might (or might not) were out the hip prematurely - but, in fact, good runners don't stomp - the good technique they use is almost like they are flying temporarily in the air - especially at higher speeds.
I understand, you've also addressed the benefit of running for mental health. I'm very much aware of this. My runs help me relax. I wish you all the best - Constanze
 
@Sergios. I had my operation done at the Aukamm-Klinik in Wiesbaden. You can google it. They have information in English. My surgeon was Dr. Meyer - an excellent surgeon to my mind. The operation is free for people who are insured in Germay, but I don't know about those from outside Germany. But I take it you are in the EU. Maybe there is a ruling with Cyprus whereby you can have the op for free as well - just inform yourself. - Good luck - Constanze

Thank you Constanze for the quick reply. I will definitely check the clinic you suggested.
 
Congrats @Constanze Amazing! I stand in awe. Not really, I'm sitting in awe
reading about your run, feeling like I need to get up off my rear and MOVE! :heehee:
Hope your week is great!
 
@Constanze thanks to @Bone-obo for referencing your thread. So happy to see your story. I was a long distance runner prior to my hip fracture last year at the Boston Marathon. It's great to see someone who had a THR still going out there and competing. Not sure if I'm gonna ever run long distance again but your stories are very inspiring and motivating. I wish you continued health!
 
Wow @achillex , respect - Boston. That's a very demanding marathon. I've heard they have speed requirements for each age group and I don't think I'd be able to run that fast to qualify. But actually, I think you will be able to run such long distances again. Continued health to you as well - Constanze
 
@Constanze, I hope that you continue to keep us posted on your activities. I like to hear the little bits about Germany and am glad that you are doing so well.

As far as the Mount Shasta trip, I decided not to go up past base camp, but that's a bit of a long story that I may cover later in my own thread. At least I got to practice with crampons, ice axe technique, self-arrest, and glissading.
 
Happy Holiday and Thank You! :friends:
Dear friends on Bonesmart. This is the time of your when people get together and celebrate. I'm taking this opportunity to say thank you. Many thanks for encouraging me while I was recovering. Many thanks for "listening" and talking to me on Bonesmart. Many thanks for all the funny jokes.
I can still run, walk, cycle, and swim. Makes me feel younger. My surgeon did a very good job. I'm still not bilaterally bionic but goodness knows what the future will be.
My next run which I planned is in my home village (Weilbach near Flörsheim on the Main river) with the local sportsclub - 12.5 km in the fields and the deciduous forest near Weilbach - the traditional "Silvester" run (from "Silvester = German for "New Year's Eve") - for a better understanding: it's not a midnight, it's at 10:30 a.m. on December 31. Enjoy the season - Constanze
 
:wave: @Constanze
The New Years Eve run sounds wonderful.
Always have been in awe of your physical accomplishments following THR, and you were an early inspiration for me when I was struggling through early recovery days.
BoneSmart was a great comfort to me during those days.
I do hope your holidays are sweet.:friends:
 
Hi @Constanze In France its St Sylvestre but at any time in the day its shopping of the food for the evening. I loved St Sylvestre in France, New Years Eve, magnificent. Children and adults combined, earliest one I went to finished at 5 am and some of the kids still going. Mattesses beds so they could have a sleep during the proceedings and get back up and join in any time they wanted. Everyone had to prepare something, song, sketch, trick, poem, piece of theatre, it was magical. Music provided by anyone who could play or sing or just sing, dancing and food magnificent. Great memories. Enjoy your run on St Silvester Constanze, I have followed your story and incredible, keep running.
 
When we lived in Germany, I loved the volksmarch in Garmich on New Year's"s Eve. There was one during the day but the one that evening was so beautiful with all of the torches moving on the path. From the bottom, the mountain looked like a giant Christmas tree.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom