Bilateral TKR Confused on PT pushing<

7-17-89 R knee scope
12-13-91 R tibial plateau break
9-21-98 R&L knee scope
6-5-18 Bilateral TKR

I can back off on exercises. Is there a list of what should be ok at this point? I saw the list of what I shouldn’t do yet but can’t find what should be ok.

It’s so frustrating pts push to the point they make things worse.

I think you'll be glad you cut back on the exercises. :) What's okay at your point of recovery depends a lot on what your knees tell you is okay. Recovery from TKR is a one-on-one thing between you and your knees. If your knees are not swollen and painful, that means whatever you're doing is working. The goal is to have knees that are mobile and not in pain.

If you do something -- take a walk, run an errand, mow the lawn, do new exercises, whatever activity -- and your knees don't become swollen and painful as a result, that's your sign that the activity is okay. If your knees swell and get sore, that's the sign you should hold back on that activity for a bit, a couple weeks maybe, before trying it again. At some point your knees will be okay with most activities.

Start finding where your knees are at this point, what bothers them and what doesn't. It really does come down to listening to your knees. Some people can do a lot more at any given point than others. Very few, though, can do as much as they wish they could do!

@bitkr, it’s not so much “the list” of what’s okay, it’s more what is your knee okay with doing. Some of the exercises noted may be fine, but in moderation.

That makes sense. I got in really good shape prior to surgery. Lost weight and got thin but not too thin. And worked with a trainer twice a week for 6 months in addition to an insane amount of yard work (including mulching with river rock). I’m ready for that “muscle memory” to kick in.

ROM... 155...do our knees even bend that far!!!! :dubious: Too much emphasis put on that.....:gaah:IMHO!!!

155?? I’m at 128 and 125 with really bad pain. My left leg is straight but right isn’t. It hasn’t been straight in years so harder to do.

I’m known for typos. . It was supposed to be 115 and he pushed to 130.

The pt is young and had only worked in a nursing home rehab. He was talked to about it. But they should have been watching and stopped it. I told him to stop repeatedly but obviously not forcefully enough. The PT on the next bench should have told him stop. She’s worked with me in the past and knows I work hard and I’m not a wimp. I’m pretty upset about the lectures now. I think it’s reasonable I’m afraid when they push after that experience.

If you go back have a talk with them in the beginning and take charge and tell them what you do and don’t want them to do. They have to listen to you. Tell them they do not have your consent to do.....(fill in the blank.)

Pt is an option, not the requirement we are led to believe. I will not be going next time and I will recover just fine, probably better, and with less pain.

If you tell PT to stop and they don't, then it's assault. Tell them that you will have them arrested and then do it! They have no right to do that!

Tomorrow I’m working out with the personal trainer I had before surgery. I really like him and since he works for my ortho group he’s to be told what I can and can’t do. I’m nervous. And I think he will level with me on what they said about me. If they are blowing me off due to fear or pushing etc. We have a good relationship and he’s leveled before. Could be an interesting day. I’m nervous but excited too. Been really down about the PT stuff. I don’t understand what’s happening ever since I was hurt. I’m no wimp though.

I get lectured from them all now on how I have to go through the pain or I will stiffen and continue to get worse.
This is wrong 100%, as everyone is saying. Indeed, it is the opposite of the truth; over exertion causes stiffness and pain.
I have plenty now to ski but I need more to get on and off my horse. We use a mounting block to mount and I will now to dismount also. But she is in a large farm and if I get off willingly or by her choice out on the farm I need to be able to mount from the ground.
You cannot expect perfection post BTKR. You may be able to achieve this, but if it needs pain-free 140 bend it may take a long time to get there.
I saw the list of what I shouldn’t do yet but can’t find what should be ok.
It's easy; if it causes you pain, don't do it.
I work hard
Sorry, not helpful in knee recovery. When your knees are healed, then you can work hard. Not before.

Please take a look at this http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-operative-exercise-–-the-bonesmart-view.25463.

For ROM you need stretching exercises. The Bible is Bob Anderson, Stretching, ISBN 0-7207-1351-X Right at the beginning he states that stretches should be held for 10-30sec only. As long as you don’t break this rule never go to the point of pain, you can stretch as often as you like.

@bitkr you are far too early on in recovery to worry about seeing your personal trainer right now. I am only a few weeks behind you and trust me, I know how frustrating it is. I am only 49 years old and I have run mud runs, half marathons, triathlons, I’m at the gym six days a week. The surgery has sidelined me and humbled me. There is nothing I want more right now than to be back in action, but you are going to injure yourself and cause further delays in your recovery and possibly forever. Listen to @Roy Gardiner and everyone on here.
They are not kidding when they say sometimes the best thing you can do is watch TV and walk around your house. My sister has had both her knees done 3 years ago and did not listen to her body. She never achieved optimum ROM. This is a marathon...not a sprint. You came to this website and this forum for advice. Please read it and take it.

I am reading and learning. I’ve been resting with only walking around the house and stretching since I joined. There is a lot I can do with my trainer. I hate arm work but there is no reason I can’t do that. He will listen to me and adapt what we are doing. He’s a good guy, friend, trainer. I’m not going to be stupid. I’m too swollen and stiff. Thx.

@bitkr there is indeed some upper body work you can do. I have also tried a few exercises, but I have found that most require strong legs. Push press. Thrusters. Snatches. Skier. Let me know what good ones you come up with.

Good luck. I know it’s frustrating.

This might be a case of go once and stop for a while. I’ll let you know.

FWIW, my OS prescribed 12 p.t. sessions and I've gone to 6. The therapist is fine but other than the manual work, I'm not doing anything there I cant do at home...and honestly, I need a break from my knee being the center of my life. The second knee is way ahead of where the first knee was at the same time so the plan is to do some gentle exercises at home (extension is a challenge), get on with my life, and see where we are when I see the OS in October. Of course, i'm a relatively undisciplined person who hasn't walked properly in 3 years. If I can walk properly, cut my toenails, play with the grandchildren, go to the beach, put on my socks, get up and out of a chair without it being a major event and ride a bike, i'll be a happy camper.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom