Bilateral TKR Confused on PT pushing<

@Jockette - can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse to be satisfied and happy with the "little things" we've always taken for granted as we get older!

@bitkr - if you can accept the fact that your knees will be in charge for a while and can let go of too many expectations, that might make the process a little easier. Also...much easier said than done (especially for women) but also remember surgical pain on the way to recovery is much better than deteriorating, debilitating knee pain which only gets worse the longer you let it go.

I have never been an exercise person, I had the surgery so I could get through the day without pain. I’m still waiting for that to happen.

If your trainer is a friend and working with him makes you happy, then you should do that. If you could focus on upper body for a little while longer, that would be best for your knee. It takes about three months before the new knees are well-healed enough for much strength training. But simple bends and stretches are good for them, as is walking (the thing knees are designed to do). They enjoy a little moving around, just not aggressive exercising just yet. Enlist your trainer to help you keep it gentle and that could be a winning team!

I am at 3 months. Tuesday was 12 weeks. We did all upper body except bike and stretching a very slight squats holding Trx sovweight off. My upper body is gonna hurt tomorrow. I realize some upper body would require major leg stuff but that’s not what we do at all. He got me in great shape before surgery and we will get back to that if I can afford to keep going. I love working out with him. Makes it fun. The therapist who said he was going to talk to him and tell him what I could do and not did not contact him. I’m fine with that because he knew pretty much and I know. Plus he could go talk to my old pt there if he wasn’t sure. I can’t use that pt because they don’t take Medicare but he’s the best I’ve ever had and I’ve had a lot.

I want a lot and that is making it harder. It’s so much slower than I expected. One man at the barn rode 5 weeks after one last year so I think the whole barn family thinks I’m a wimp. But 2 is rough esp when you live alone and only had help for 3 days. But I’m orde to ride my horse and ski I need a lit. I’m not willing to give those things up.

It’s so much slower than I expected.
Yes, this is a long and slow recovery and you've had both knees done. Try to remember that both your knees have been subjected to major surgery and they're going to need time and gentle treatment, so they can heal and recover.

Complete recovery takes as long as a full year, sometimes even longer, but you will be able to do most things long before then. Just don't rush things. In terms of a race, recovery from a knee replacement is a marathon, not a sprint.

You will be able to get back to horse riding and skiing - but not yet. Dig up as much patience as you can muster, because you're going to need it. And try not to take any notice of other people's expectations.

@bitkr,

I sent the following earlier to another member, maybe it will also help you: Setting smaller intermediate goals that, in total, get you to your final goal is the perfect approach! One’s attitude and overall outlook towards a task is much more positive when success is achieved along the way. You know where you would like to get and you realize it could take up to two years to get there, so setting mini-goals along the way helps you to see progress and will also allow you to adjust your perspective along the way. If a goal takes a bit longer than expected, you can use that to evaluate the overall end point and determine if you need to adjust when that will be achieved.

Patience and not caring what others think are not my strong points. I am resting and in part due to being sick now. Certainly don’t feel like doing much. The pain when changing positions after being still a while is much less. Mostly just that horrid stiff feeling. It’s difficult to be released to do anything you want but to realize you don’t feel like doing much yet. My shoulders hurt as much as my knees today (if I’m being good) after working with my trainer. I’ll try to set goals as I go. Good suggestion. Thx

I’ve been really sick since Friday so resting my knees. My last PT was last Monday. I can tell the pain is less especially when I change positions or stand. When sitting, the left doesn’t feel tight but the right does. Standing they both feel tight. The right is not straight so working on that by propping and only doing bends up to the point of pain.
I have PT tomorrow so I’ll talk to my therapist. I’m 13 weeks out tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick. But, it sounds like your knees have enjoyed the rest you have given them!

I’ve been resting elevating and icing but still so swollen. So tired of this. I know it will get better but I’m ready for that now

C7963F25-91E0-49AA-AB10-6F93AEEFBD83.jpeg

I thought I posted an update after my pt Tuesday, week 13, but guess I didn’t hit post.
After a week of resting, my knees were less swollen and painful. I went through my exercises abs nothing hurt. When measured, I got further than ever- 135 L and 130 R. The therapist and indiscussed hiw a week of rest seemed to help. I’m to only do stretches and try to walk more on uneven ground this week. My balance is bad in part due to other physical issues. She told me to hold off on seeing my trainer for a few weeks even though we are doing upper body stuff. We will evaluate week by week.
But I don’t understand why I’m so swollen again to the point of painful to get up.

Did you get that 130 and 135 all by yourself?

Yes I did. I bent to the point of pain and stopped. Don’t think I’m getting that now.

To get that far on your own is good. But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. It’s probably one of the reasons for your swelling, that and the fact that you are only 1/4 the way healed in this year long, on average, recovery.

Pushing to pain is not necessary. Gentle, non painful stretching is all that is needed.

Getting those numbers is a good sign your ROM will be fine in the future, after your leg heals and settles down.

My PTs force bent my knee in my first 8 weeks. They got good numbers. But it didn’t help me in my every day life because my leg was tight and swollen and I couldn’t get near those numbers on my own. (I was never measured on my own)

I am 18 months now and though my number on my own now isn’t quite what they pushed me to back then, my leg has relaxed and I am bending better than ever. Big difference!

So, numbers can be misleading.

With time, as my knees heal, will they tighten if I don’t do the stretches regularly?
I’m basically bending to the point I’m still comfortable and holding it. I’m in a recliner with separate ottoman which works well to do this.
I’m going to try to take a short ride in my horse tomorrow. It’s been 14 weeks and I need to see her badly. I know I’ll be exhausted.

With time, as my knees heal, will they tighten if I don’t do the stretches regularly?
With time and as your knee heals your whole leg will relax and you’ll be able to do the things you want. You will get plenty of stretches in your normal everyday activities.
I’m to only do stretches and try to walk more on uneven ground this week. My balance is bad in part due to other physical issues.
I think it’s too early try to walk on more uneven surfaces, especially if your balance is bad due to other issues. As you heal more you will naturally get better at doing things.

You are only 1/4 the way to full healing. I think you are trying too hard and your PT is rushing you.

A visit with your horse will be wonderful for you. She probably misses you too.

I’m sure she’s enjoyed having 14 weeks off but I badly need horse therapy. I’m nervous but excited too.
My balance is always bad. I have terrible retinas and no depth perception so I fall a lot. Having to be really careful. I also have a broken foot that healed incorrectly and will have to be fixed and very bad low back and neck. I’m a train wreck. . I’ve been hard on my body and now I’m paying the penalty.
I’m really trying to be patient. 2 weeks of basically resting and it makes me feel I’m going backwards in strength but I know it’s what my
Knees need. I do need to get out and walk more. I’ve been sick for over a week with bad allergies so hard to go anywhere.

Walking is one of the best things you can do for your knee. Pace yourself though.

Do you use a cane when you walk? I used one for months when I went out. I was ok in the house without it. I actually still use it if I am on grass. My knee still doesn’t like uneven surfaces. That’s why I cringed when your PT told you to do more of it this early.

And I can relate to allergies this time of year. I used to get really bad ragweed issues and be sick from mid August until some time in October. Thankfully they’ve eased up for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom