Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

Oh shoot me now @danelady ! What a pain to have this problem with your home crop up now!!
But first, the good news-- you are feeling better! I could cry with happiness for you!!
That is a much needed improvement for you... ((hugs)) Happy ((hugs)) !!
So, let's think this through. If you need to wait until next week for your card to come through or to get some help out there - could you possibly use your bathtub or bathroom sink to help with washing out a dish or two when needed?
I hate to think of you attempting the repair all by yourself... just because the positioning of your new (yet again) hip might protest heavily or even dislocate again? I gagged even saying that word but felt that I needed to mention it.. aaargh! Where is the Calvary when needed??
Good heavens, if I lived even remotely close enough, I'd be there in a flash to help.
 
@CricketHip
Thank you for trying to figure something out for me and your offer of help.
The bathroom sink quit working after my first failed surgery in January of '22 but I figured I'd get to it after they fixed me, never thinking it would take so long. In the meantime I keep wipes for my hand (which I never flush) or I can reach the tub to wash my hands when I sit on the bowl sideways. otherwise I gotta get in the tub. I have lots of basins to use under the kitchen sink. I've watched tons of videos on how to do it, shouldn't take long to fix.
I was worried about my hip and I thought I'd try putting that spine board to use, ya know...the one I bought when I started constantly dislocating so Mike and the one other big guy in town could drag me to the ER. LOL. If I position it just right I should be able to lay on it and look up. I'd have to bring everything I'd need because once I'm down I'll have to call Mike's son in law to get me back up, lol. No rush. :rofsign:I'll keep ya's posted!
 
I'd have to bring everything I'd need because once I'm down I'll have to call Mike's son in law to get me back up, lol. No rush. :rofsign:I'll keep ya's posted!


I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry on this one! You need an escape plan, for reals!
 
Dearest danelady.....my friend......I am so very happy to hear you and your errant hip are actually starting to see forward progress. But, I am sad to hear you have home repair problems that need immediate attention. This is definitely a problem since you don't want to risk doing anything that would put your hip progress in jeopardy. Working on a sink drain would be just such a project. I know you would try to be careful, but I've done P-trap replacements (years ago) and know from experience that it requires a lot of contortions with your body and strain on your arms, back and legs (needed for balancing while you're on your back under the sink).

Here are some links for you to explore to get help for home repairs....there's one that could even give you a $10,000 grant to level your home. They all require some paperwork from you, which is a pain but at least it wouldn't risk your new happy hip. It appears that most of the programs take some wait time too, but that would be worth it to get the help you need for some of your major repair problems. If one of the agencies listed doesn't support what you need, ask them if they know other resources. Most of these agencies are aware of all the resources available to someone in need.


This may mean you are going to need a plumber for your kitchen sink leak right now. It can't wait as you have no other source of water available except the bathtub. Is there any way you can swing a plumber visit? Perhaps he could fix both the kitchen and bath sinks at the same time which would save you some money by not having two service calls. I know money is tight for you. But if you knew you could get help with some of the bigger issues with your house, perhaps it wouldn't be as much of a problem to afford a plumber. It never hurts to call a few and ask what they would charge and if there is any way to pay them over time. At least you'd know what kind of cost you would be looking at and whether or not you could fit it into your budget.

Do some checking into these links I gave you and see what you think. If you're more comfortable talking about this in private, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be happy to talk with you and try to help. I was pleased to see how many resources are available in your area. This is a good thing that you need right now. I know this goes against your independent nature, but it is important for you not to risk your hip right now.
 
Oh no, please don't attempt the plumbing work underneath the kitchen sink, you don't want to risk ruining the great progress you're making, which is so wonderful to hear. It's just not worth it, danelady. I understand a repair is necessary, but please exhaust all other options before you even consider attempting this yourself.
Stay in touch...we worry about you.
@danelady
 
Yes, I agree with others, please don't attempt to fix the sink problem yourself. You don't want to setback the great progress you're having on your hip! When do your neighbors get back from their trip? Maybe you can get their help fixing it if they are getting back in the next day or so?
 
There is another temporary option you can try for your kitchen sink pipes. A product like Flex Seal can be applied to the area that’s leaking (I’m assuming it’s probably leaking at the joint of the P-trap and a straight pipe). This might get you through for a while until you can get help to get the trap replaced permanently.
 
Such good news about your hip. Your positivity and renewed hope is a plus.

On that I would say keep making your hip your priority and the rest will get sorted.

Don't worry about the clothes,the oven, the housework.. doesn't matter. Minor problems. Nothing more important than you taking care of yourself. Nothing risky.

The card will arrive. Can you get someone to duct tape your pipes for now. Running water isn't ideal.

I don't live in US but here in Australia you can get home help from the council arranged by the hospital for free. Especially people on their own. They do all your housework and shopping,cooking,cleaning, organise free taxis for transport. It's a good system. If you can access a similar service it would be helpful.

Really glad to hear your making improvements and that new hip is number one...you and Valkyrie....blow the rest. It'll sort itself out.
 
@danelady …. while you’re waiting for your new credit card to come in the mail, you should be able to call the issuing bank and obtain the new card number. Then you could use that number to purchase anything you need from Amazon….even groceries since Whole Foods is owned by Amazon.
 
OMG, thank you all for those GREAT suggestions! I have a couple of hours of daylight left so I'm gonna skeedaddle but I'll be back tonight. I swear!
 
Triage! I think the leak to the outside may be the most urgent especially if temperatures drop once more. If you have a double basin sink, is it one or both sides causing the leak? Some churches have groups which offer help to fix things which might be worth checking. Try not to over stress. Walmart sounds like a good option with free delivery. I have used Instacart for groceries which was extremely helpful in the early days. My to do list is growing by leaps and bounds but most will have to wait for after my other hip is done. Everything is going to work out. Posting about it hopefully lightens the load a bit. Glad walking is going well for you!
 
@danelady so happy to hear your hip.is improving!. :banana-santa: I know its not Christmas time anymore but had to put a happy dance on here for you.

Please don't attempt fixing the leaky pipe by yourself. As was stated earlier, just too many contortions you have to go through and too much of a chance to hurt yourself. We want you to keep improving and get your life back! Hopefully you can get some help through the links that Jamie sent. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that something comes through for you soon. :angel:
 
Hello there! Just popping in for a quick hello and update. I've had an awful cold for the past week with all the usual symptons: sneezing, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, but not a bad sore throat...probably from coughing so much. I won't mention the accompanying aches and pains since that's been my norm for the last two years anyway. This was how I spent the recent warm spell that drifted pleasantly across Southern Arizona...it was glorious. Winter rears it's ugly head once again tomorrow morning, with a week of rain in the lowlands and snow in the higher elevations.

So you're probably thinking: 'What about the sink?' LOL. I have a double sink in the kitchen but I only need one. I plugged the drain of the one sink ( with a plastic basin underneath just in case, lol ) and ran a straight pvc pipe from the drain in the sink I intend on using down to the P-trap. To make things even easier on me I stocked my cabinets full of paper plates, bowls, cups, cutlery and red solo cups, which I have been known to wash and reuse. I lived frugally in the semi for 16 years so I'm not worried about harming the environment, especially the trees, by using paper products. It's only till it's warm again

Oh my, I'm a bit chatty tonight aren't I? Lol. Must be the hydrocodone (which I cut in half) I took along with some OTC cough syrup. Oh wow! Not coughing and nose not running either. Think I'm finally going to get some good sleep tonight!

Alright my peeps, stay safe in the impending storms. Val has been snoring next to me and I'm positive that as soon as I turn off the light and drift off to sleep while listening to a narrator describe how a couple and their 3 children were butchered while sleeping in their own beds.....she will magically wake up and needing out.
Yawn....nitey nite!
 
Ugh. I hope you're soon over this "winter crud" and can stop buying stock in Kleenex!
 
My oh my! What a wonderful bedtime story! Said no one ever, haha!

Bummer about the cold, :yes!:sounds pretty awful.
But you fixed up your sink, the hip is still in place and you’re in for the night. Sounds pretty positive to me.
Val has a sense of humor, I can tell. :snork:
 
Stay warm and comfy and feel better soon, danelady!
Don't know about that bedtime story though...unless you like nightmares. :wink:
Thanks for stopping by, we love to hear from you and know you're hanging in there. :wave:
@danelady
 
Wow @danelady, I think you've got very good practical skills - being able to work on your sink like that. I hope the nasty cold spell will soon be over and there will be some warm weather. I also hope, your health will get better & better as the weather improves. - By the way it's Groundhog Day today, so Happy Groundhog Day! :)
I hope the groundhog will forecast an early spring :yes!::flwrysmile:
 
Yay on the sink! You are an inspiration for sure! I am still making a list- hah! Paper products when you need them are okay. Hip recovery is tiring. My two girls were chatty all night. They will sleep while I am at work. I have a book just waiting until I can settle down and read. Have a wonderful weekend! Loved hearing your updates!
 
My husband reads short ghost stories before bed. I say " how can you sleep reading that???"
He says it relaxes him.:yikes::shocked: and he sleeps very well.:sleeep:

The cold you'll recover from...good work on the sink...use whatever paper goods to get you by, there's compostable available now..just take care of yourself,Val and your hip.

You're doing great:dogwalk:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom