Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

@Up once again
Hey, I like that! This seems to be the only place with people where I seem to have something in common. No matter what our career, no matter our age, we are fighting to control of our rebellious bodies in order to hold on to or regain control of our independence. To me, what I dread more than ANYTHING is not being able to move! I've been penniless, I've been lost but I was always able to put one foot in front of the other and find a better life. I've helped others get a good foothold and move forward in their lives as well because I've been thru it all...even getting stuck between a tub and a toilet for 7 hours. Haha!
This hip had me free-falling again, something I am very familiar with but coming here is where I find my strength, surrounded by others also fighting the good fight.
 
@Goma
Oh boy, thanks for the info. I don't know your age, or maybe I did but forgot, lol.
I'm 69 but I have been taking vitamins and minerals every day....hope that helps me.
I have been holding my arm close to my body and it definitely helps it hurt less. It seems to help not laying down flat as well.
Thanks again.
 
Oh @danelady !!
What a great big bummer for you! When the going gets tough, you really do get going!!
Conditioner. I must make sure it’s always in each bathroom from now on!
The phone would’ve been the perfect solution but I’ve never thought to take it with me to use the bathroom, either.
Your poor rib, I’ve cracked a rib before and it wasn’t horribly painful after about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks…. Then another time I fractured a few ribs- full open fractures and goodness, the pain!
Yours sounds like it’s a full fracture but without an xray, who really knows? Sadly the treatment is the same- rest, ice and pain control. With open fractures I was told not to lift things and to be very careful- I remember needing to sit all crouched down when I needed to cough.
So glad you have some pain pills to help!
You are so right. No lying flat in bed, even reading that from you made me wince! Oh and be careful flushing the toilet, that was pretty awful, too! Don’t ask how I know!!
I seem to remember after a week or so, I started using heat on my back. Seemed to help the muscle spasms that come with fractured ribs.
Try your best to get some deep breaths in and out—you don’t want your lungs getting impacted, especially since you’ve had a cold.
My doctors were sure to remind me about that.
I was in my 30’s with the open fractures and mid 49’s for the cracked rib.
Hopefully no more for me!
I’m so sorry you had that unfortunate fall!!!
 
@danelady so sorry to hear about your fall and just couldn't imagine laying there for 7 hours. Bless Val for staying by your side, she deserves some extra treaties for that.

I know @CricketHip mentioned sitting crouched down when needing to cough. If I might make a suggestion, if you have a smallish/throw pillow try pressing that against your body when you feel a cough coming on. I know when I had gallbladder surgery years ago they had me do that to ease the pain and help my staples stay put. They also me use the pillow when I went from laying to sitting. Not sure if it will help but figured it was worth mentioning. I did have some badly bruised ribs some years back and used the pillow when moving positions.

Keep us posted with how things go and know we're here for you.
 
Oh dear, poor @danelady, have you had your rib looked at by a doctor. I seem to remember from people with a broken rib: Yes, no plaster cast or sling. It'll just have to heal by itself and you have to take it easy. I hope it will heal quickly.
 
Hey danelady,
How is it going these days? It's been awhile since we've heard from you.
I hope all is well and you're happy and thriving. Let us know when you have time.
Hope to hear from you soon! :wave:
@danelady
 
Hi everyone. I know it's been a long time, I have Jamie to thank for getting me back in. I just hated talking about my hip because after 6 months since my last 2 surgeries I hadn't gotten one bit better, but the unbelievable has finally happened! I can get around without any assistance for a little bit! No walker, no wheelchair...not even a cane! Not all day mind you, it's best in the morning and I can't go very far but this is the improvement I needed to see to give me hope! This was the mostest difficult and mostest painful of all my recoveries but I can feel my muscles working together again to hold me up. They've been hacked apart so many times I can imagine them looking at each other saying: Hey, didn't we work together, lol. I was finally discharged the day before my birthday and it's been rough, but my next birthday I'm turning 70 and I intend on heading into my next decade upright and WALKING! Well, I gotta head outside now to do some stuff because it's gonna be real hot real soon but I promise to not wait so long to come back! Have a wonderful day!
I broke my phone and I'm about to return the second phone I bought, seems my mind has turned to mush after all the hip problems and I forgot how to use a smart phone.

Much Love....Rosie! Oh wow, look at that long list under my post of things that happened! My last dislocation was the end of October, 2023....on the 28th I believe but I'll check later! thanks! It was around February the dr went in to change my femoral component and wound up breaking it (my femur) too. I'll check that too.
 
Last edited:
Sounds good, Danelady! And I'm so glad to hear from you again. May you reach your goal - being upright and walking in your next decade:)
Love from Constanze
 
Thanks for the update! You have been on my mind. You have been through a lot but you are one tough cookie. Glad your muscles are enjoying getting to know each other again. Take your improvements one bit at a time. ☀️☀️
 
Boy, this is the best update ever!!!! I'm so happy to hear that you feel like a corner has been turned and more improvements are in your future. I believe that too.

Just go slow with this. Watch how you feel and try hard not to push too much to be that "feisty go-getter" that you are inside. It will come with time an patience. Your poor body has been through so much in a relatively short period of time. Hopefully it's done punishing you and starting to like you again.

:heehee:

It's promising that you feel like your bones and muscles are beginning to work together normally again. Here's to UPRIGHT!!!
:cheers:
 
Thanks so much guys!
@Jamie Thank you so much for your help! Not to worry, that feisty go-getter doesn't live here anymore, I've gotten quite lazy and put on some weight. The pain was very bad this go round so I've had no desire to climb any mountains. People expected me to BE still bethat feisty person, but after 2.5 years all they see now is that old lady that needs the special chair with all the pillows and they stop and lend me their shoulder when I come to a little step. Life has gotten B.O.R.I.N.G. since I've entered the handicapped zone, but change is a-comin'!! I'm sure it would have happened sooner had I not trashed my other knee on the other side. But I'll take any improvement!! Much love! Heading out to play with Val, I sit and throw the ball. THAT'S ALL I DO! LOL.
 
It's great to hear from you, danelady, especially since you shared such hopeful news. I'm happy to read things are looking up for you. Please do stay in touch, there are many here who care and look forward to your updates.
Hugs and love! :loveshwr:
@danelady
 
Hi all! I swear, I never mean to stay away so long. The next thing I know 4 weeks, 5 weeks....6 weeks has flown by, lol. I'm getting anxious just sitting here! I gathered some laundry because I have no more clean clothes to wear, lol.

I was in a serious funk for a while and stayed in bed most of the time (hence no more clean clothes). Me n Val are in a weight gaining contest, lol My neighbors are moving, she works from home but he has become regional manager and the boss wants him closer to civilization, so they are moving into a house just outside of one of the mobile home parks. The park is very old and my neighbor asked his boss if I could trade my shabby shack for another empty shabby shack in that park and he said sure! A few weeks later I drove down to check it out. It's in the middle of major construction, no ramp, no refrigerator or stove, no yard or even fence but here's the kicker: the trailer I'd be in is off the main goat trail they call a road thru the park. You have to make a very sharp u-turn on a very itty-bitty road and I'm on the end, after that is a sharp incline. There's fencing around the park back there so I couldn't drive out and a downed tree could easily block vehicles in case of an emergency....like a roaring fire or a flash flood. It's actually very common this time of year. When I expressed my concern, my 'friend' tilted his head and looked so much like a cute puppy I want to give him a scratch behind his ear, lol. He said I can easily escape up the hill. Me? Run up the hill? With Valkyrie on a leash?

Isn't it funny (and I totally get it) people without any disabilities, either permanent or temporary, are sometimes unable to 'get it'. We're in the middle of fire season and a man recently died in a fire because he had a broken leg and couldn't move fast enough. I tried to explain about the fires but he's very busy now. I know I would have cried every day down in the citylonging for my Galiuro Mtns. He explained I'd be so much closer to medical help too.

We used to spend a lot of time together, they even called me family, but I'm no fun anymore. I budget every penny and can't keep up either so I don't fit into their lifestyle of buying things on credit and seeing how long it takes to destroy it. His boss just bought a high rise downtown and gave him an office on the 2nd floor. I realized we aren't really friends but I will always, always, ALWAYS be thankful for what they did for me. I guess we've both changed: I'm slow, handicapped and getting grumpier by the day. He's become an arrogant show off only concerned that people see the nice things he has and does for people....even though he later explains 'I'll have my boys take care of it'.

When I don't feel well the last thing I want is people around me. I know they wanted to cheer me up on Christmas of '22 by surprising me in the hospital with Christmas dinner: prime rib, fresh asparagus, cake and presents to boot. I gave every reason for them to stay away, I like being alone but a lot of people think that's horrible, especially on the holidays.

She recently told me it would be a couple of months till they moved but after I told them I'm not moving they've been emptying their house. We don't talk to each other anymore, they won't even make eye contact with me now. The universe, the Lord and my mom knew I'd need some help so they sent me some undercover angels...but I'm glad they'll be gone soon.

Oh one last thing. My next, and hopefully final, dr's visit is in 4 weeks. I slithered out of my bed Sunday and picked some of my medical reports put out by that first 'surgeon'. Nothing, but nothing, tans my hide quicker than reading what he wrote. I must have missed this one written in May of last year. He actually wrote that I admitted to him I was breaking the restrictions by going past 90°.
Those words NEVER LEFT MY LIPS.
I also want to ask Dr Smith about his phone call to me last Oct between surgeries.
He dropped this bomb in my lap saying he figured out what the problem is, the wrong part was put in. Huh? By whom? What part? I guess I'm supposed to accept that and go away. I always thought it was strange that the first time I saw him in Dec of 2021 he looked at my X-ray and said gee, I never saw that before so I'll just hand you over to our best surgeon, who finished his residency in 2020.
I better stop now, haha. Lunch first then laundry.
xxxooo
 
So good to hear from you!!

It sounds like you made the right choice by just staying where you are. It is a sad fact that people sometimes don’t understand what makes another person tick. Maybe you’ll get a wonderful new neighbor!

Sorry you’ve been funky lately, but maybe reflecting back on how far you’ve come will help you feel better. That hip is staying in place, isn’t it?

And I rejoice that your golden sense of humor is still in place! You are the Queen of Coping with whatever life throws at you. Wear that crown proudly, my friend!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom