Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

Knowing I have the support from my fellow bonesmarties will help me maintain my sanity tomorrow as I process whatever information my surgeon gives me.

@Constanze. Constance, a Michelada is a Mexican beer cocktail! It can be compared to a Bloody Mary...but made with beer instead of vodka and can have just as many variables. I never thought I'd like my beer over ice but I do now. I also like to use Clamato juice (tomato juice infused with juice from slimy clams) instead of plain tomato juice but it's not necessary. The spices however are necessay and you can go hog wild with the garnishes but I personally like just plain, old lemons and limes.

Constance, if you try it I hope you like it, I bet it will go great with bratwurst!
 
Will be thinking of you tomorrow, danelady. Many will be watching for your update.
Hugs and best wishes! :friends:
@danelady
 
Hang in there! Your new surgeon is coming in to clean up someone else’s mess- if for no reason other than ego he is going to do a phenomenal job. I have great faith that everything is going to go well for you. He will probably be impressed with your detailed questions. Take notes and reframe any questions that need clarification. You have got this! Keep us posted!
 
@danelady , thanks for the lesson on Michelada. I'm sure it would taste good with Bratwurst. You wouldn't believe where I had the best Bratawurst ever: In Lincoln at Lincoln Christmast Market last December. But, I suppose the reason why is because I was starving hungry and freezing cold. Lincoln is a sister city of Neustadt in Germany, and the Christmas market is devoted to Neustadt.
 
@danelady hoping you get some good answers tomorrow during your appointment. We'll be there with you in heart and spirit giving you back up, not that you can't handle yourself! You've proven you're a force to be reckoned with numerous times and I have no doubt you'll get through the matrix! :friends: :banana-santa:
 
Hello everyone. Well, here what went down at the surgeon's: First off, sutures came out, then doc came in to take a quick look. So I says: hey doc, I've been reading up on spacers and he immediately started chuckling. I told him I heard they come out after the infection is gone and then I watched his eyes roll around a little as if searching for a way to explain it to me in a way I could understand.

He said it all depends on how the spacer is put in. We looked at my xray and he pointed out the white which was the cement and he said the screws were like the rebar, giving the concrete even more strength. Now that was something I could understand. The spacer will remain in my hip, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long it takes me to walk again without pain. I go back in January, hopefully only using a cane again.

Ok, I circled the chunk of cement with the joint encased within. You can see the rebar/screws. This has to work. This will work.....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…
    20231121_131646.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 100
It sounds like everything is going to work well! The hardest thing for me is to trust that it’s going to work well! This operation has been a big learning experience that is still ongoing. You obviously asked some really good questions!
 
@danelady happy that the sutures came out. I do like the explanation the surgeon gave you and being able to look at the X-Ray with the info in mind helps it make sense. That's wonderful that he took the time to explain it to you in layman's terms. Keeping fingers crossed that you'll be using your cane for your return visit in January! :fingersx: Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Hope you're pain free in the New Year. :walking:
 
Wow, that's a lot of screws and cement. Praying this all works out and you can get back to a normal day in the life of danelady!
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Wow, that's some artwork there! It makes sense, they basically rebuilt your bone. I have the same looking device with the constrained liner to help with dislocation problems. When they were talking to me about a possible infection, they said all the device is pulled out and temporarily replaced with antibiotic cement until the infection is gone, then they go back in with a new implant. That's not a spacer that is a new pelvis. :) Are you weight bearing or on restrictions to let the cement setup? It's super impressive looking!! Happy Thanksgiving!
 
You asked good questions and hopefully feel a bit more reassured.
This doctor seems to be a godsend and you sure were due to have a god sent surgeon!!
Happy Thanksgiving my friend, here’s to a much better holiday season for you!!
:chuckmarch:
 
Good Morning @danelady ! Thinking of you and wondering how you are faring with your recovery?

I'm not sure I ever mentioned this but my son has his CDL and drove 18 wheelers for about 6 years. He enjoyed it but what you've referred to about the industry drove him away from it too.
He has a cat that he is crazy about and the cat had a booster seat on the passenger side. Other truckers got a big kick out of seeing my 6'6" son with his traveling cat!
I hope that gives you a chuckle. :kittymilk:
 
@danelady just popping in to say Merry Christmas and check to see how you're doing. You know it makes us worry when you don't check in once in a while. Hoping everything is fine with you and the fur baby and that your 2024 brings you good health and healing!
:banana-santa::santa-dance::xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom