Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

Happy Christmas @danelady and a lovely New Year :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: :snow:. The picture shows the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) at Wiesbaden, about 10 miles from where we live. It's calle the "Sternschnuppenmarkt" (shooting star market). Love from Constanze
IMG20231206175533.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@danelady ...... how did you do during the holidays and now into the New Year? We haven't heard from you and are now officially worried that you've had another setback. Please let us know how you are. I miss you on the forum!!
 
Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great holiday season, whichever one you celebrate.

I remember it was a year ago when I was discharged from the skilled nursing facility and I was able to walk for a couple of weeks before the next dislocation. I'm not walking anymore, not any better since the last time I was here. I'm still using the wheelchair and the walker and still in a lot of pain. Had an appointment with the ortho 3 days ago, didn't take any x-rays and told to come back in 6 months. I've pretty much given up on ever walking again. Actually, I only saw the surgeons assistant Tim. He's a great guy, I really like him. I've told them all how bad my opposite knee has gotten and this time Tim witnessed how bad it is when I was standing there talking with him and he heard the loud 'clunk' I hear just before I drop. Luckily I always have the walker to grab onto. So Tim got the dr to prescribe meloxicam to help my pain but all it did was make me sleepy, lol. They said just keep walking, only way to get better. I do a lap around the yard to pick up the poop and I go up and down the aisles of the dollar store here in town, lol.
Tim told me they have another guy with a spacer and he's had it in 2 years now and is getting around great, but it's going to take me awhile because of all the surgeries. We'll see.

Weather isn't helping either, dropping into the 20s at night, and snowing during the day.. I basically stay under the covers with Val except to make coffee or pick up the poop. I don't think I've ever been this cold in southern Arizona.
Thank you all for the kind words.
Happy New Year.
 
Thanks for updating us! Sorry things are not going well but we are here if you need to vent. Or just for updates. We are a wild extended hippie family. Remember to keep your walker handy. Snuggle with Val until the weather warms up there. I have missed hearing from you!
 
@Hippie Chick
Aww, thanks. I know you guys get it. A lot of other people I know are shocked when they find out I'm not my old self anymore, that there can complications this severe after a THR. I warn them that these joint replacements are not all rainbows and glitter like they'd have you believe, lol.
 
Aww, danelady. I Hate This For You.
I don't even know what to say other than don't lose hope.
You're in my prayers. :prayer:
@danelady elady
 
@Layla
Thank you Layla. I'm starting to put weight on too, ucch. Guess I need to cut back on those avocados.
 
@danelady....it's so great to hear from you, although I was hoping you'd be doing lots of fun things and not striving to become the Arizona Poop Queen :rotfl:. Seriously, though, I do think Layla makes a good point. Don't give up hope. When you think about all your body has been through during this mess, it makes sense that it might take a much longer time to recover. At lease your latest posts don't have any words about a dislocation. To me, that is HUGE. I'm sorry about the pain, though, and hope that can improve with some time. The doc is right that walking is very important for you, so hang in there with as much of that as possible for you to do without causing lasting pain or swelling. Lounging under the covers with a good pup sounds like excellent mental therapy. I highly recommend it!
 
@Jamie
Hi Jamie! It's good to hear from you, Layla and everyone else. I figured I'd need at least a year to be able to do the cha-cha again considering everything I've been thru but I could have sworn I was getting a little better. I think maybe it's this frigid air swooping into the area that's stalling my recovery, causing pain not only in my hip and knee but my whole body! So maybe when me and the cactus start to thaw out I'll continue this crazy recovery. When I realized I don't see the dr again for 6 more months all I could think about was how hot (and wonderful ) it will be!
 
You probably have something there, danelady.....the warm sun will definitely improve both your body movement and your mental outlook. I don't know when it starts to get warmer where you are, but it should only be a few months at most. Then it's Carmen Marinda time!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…
 
Nice to hear from you @danelady but sorry you're in so much pain. However, I wouldn't give up walking - for various reasons of which you mentioned some reasons yourself.
You can use the walker whenever possible. And - yes - you're probably right. It's the cold that gives you pain. Even people without joint issues have difficulty when it's so cold. I believe everybody at a more advanced age has osteoarthritis to some extent and so the joints hurt. Animals have that, too. So our caretaker's eldest dog (from our caretaker at my old employer's) only walked in the forest outside in summer.
In Germany we have something like walkers on wheels. Are they also used in the states. In German it's called a rollator. Not sure if you use that word in English - or at least US English :). My sister uses one and gets around well. You can walk to the local store and put your shopping bags in these rollators. Or if you're exhausted, you can rest by sitting down on it.
So when spring comes, I hope your pain will subside so that you'll be able to walk more. Yes - the 20s °F that sounds too cold for Arizona (I looked up the conversion to celcius - it's well below freezing, isn't it?). We've also had two cold spells in Germany with temperatures below freezing - one in November and one just during the past week - so much for global warming ha ha.
 
Sending my best to you as you continue to heal. I can only imagine how hard it is to be patient and not be discouraged during this long recovery. Sending my best and keep your eye on the prize ... it took some time for all of this to occur and it will take time to get back to you!
 
Oh goodness, thank you all for the encouraging words!

@Constanze. Hi! Actually, someone gave me a rollator but the way the wheels whip back and forth it feels like I'm on a wild ride, lol. But it's perfect for when I pick up the dog poop, I put the bucket (with a plastic bag in it) on the seat and wheel it around like that, so at least I'm putting it to good use, lol. Hope it stays above freezing for you! I think I'll just go into hibernation next year!

@Jamie. Haha, thanks for the chuckle! My lovely neighbors gave me a life size bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum. I'm standing there next to the bottle and you can see how stiff I've become but a Hot Toddy at night helps me loosen up a bit. :heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…
 
I used to love Captain Morgan and Coke back when Chris and I hit the bars every day after work. Haven’t had it in ages. That would definitely warm up a chilly evening. It’s great to see your sense of humor peeking through your posts. Let us hear from you often if you’re up to it. You have a pretty big following here and these folks want to know what‘s going on with you. We all definitely are here to help cheer you up!!!
 
Awww, man! I'm just so sorry @danelady . You definitely haven't had the rainbow and glitter version of a THR.

Please don't give up hope, the body can recover from many things and I agree that cozying up with Val in bed is the perfect solution for now.
The colder temps in Arizona doesn't sound too inviting either!
Dont give up on your Avocados.. they sound delicious, or is it becasue I am hungry?

I think of you often and hope to hear more from you, plus we will continue to stop by to say hi. I'm picturing you under the covers typing away..
:snork:
 
@CricketHip. Ok, I forced myself to go out to the gas station/convenience store/liquor store (beer and wine only, lol) to get a couple more avocados and just got back. It was actually WARM outside! I stood out there with my face turned to the sun and it felt great! That makes me feel tons better!

@Jamie. I thought of you all and came close to writing many times. For some reason I started beating myself up for agreeing to have my hip replaced the first time and just couldn't talk to anyone. It was just another pity party but being in the sun today tickled a smile back onto my face. Sun is going down now and so is the temp, almost time for a Cap't Morgan again. One of the young ladies in town told me that Cap't Morgan mixed with Crush orange soda tastes just like a Creamsicle...but it has to be Crush! I only found 12oz bottles of Crush so I brought one home. Gonna feed Val and make myself a cocktail. Mmm mmm
Love everyone here!!
 
Hi Everyone!
First off, I hope all of you who live in the US are safe and warm in these wild winter storms hammering down on us...except for Florida, lol. Gotta keep those gators warm so they STAY there, lol. If you do have to drive please stay away from the 18wheelers...they don't have fender benders.

Well, I'm happy to say my hip is improving big time! Partly due, I'm sure, to the warm spell we've been enjoying the last few days. But I have also been making a concerted effort to not use the walker, to walk with just the cane as much as possible, as instructed by my ortho. My muscles scream a bit but the next day I'm better than the day before! Since I'm wearing shorts it's easy to wear my knee brace and that's a big help, too.

Well, that's the good news. :heehee: The universe is determined to not let me rest! Last week I was thinking of joining Walmart Plus to make things easier. The fee for a year is $99 plus tax and if you join before the end of January you get $50 back to spend in Wally World. It costs more to fill my pickup with fuel and WM is 35 miles away....actually across the street from my other home (the hospital). They offer free shipping, which is ridiculous now, cheaper fuel and whatever else. While I was holding my phone and reading all the small print before I actually sign up, I received a text from my bank saying someone is attempting to withdraw the exact amount WM wants, but I did not okay it. WM said they're investigating and I haven't heard back all week. My bank is doing their own investigation but in the meantime I canceled my card. I filled the pickup and withdrew cash but it's a real bother till the new card comes.
Now, to quote Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

I bought my shabby shack 4 years ago, knowing it needed lots of work. I put on a new roof, a patio cover, got one new window put in and I had tons of fun with my new weedeater. It also needed to be releveled. Well, in the past 2 years, except for my hip getting hacked to pieces with new parts put in and almost new parts taken out, no repairs were done.
When I saw water running outside the kitchen yesterday I knew the universe was paying me another visit. It's been very hard to stay on top of even house work. Every time I was getting well enough to start cleaning I had another dislocation and more surgeries. I couldn't reach up high, especially with the PICC line, I couldn't reach down (oven still hasn't been cleaned) so I kept things as close as I could and shoved stuff under the sink. Apparently I kept hitting the drain and P-trap and they have been loose for at least a week. EVERYTHING under the sink is soaking wet. I am also out of clean clothes so I've been juggling my options for this last warm day....put the old pipes back together? Buy new pipes in town( only if my card comes today) Do laundry? My neighbors took some getaway time which they need desperately but I wouldn't ask for help anyway. This is the last free time I'll have all week but I am so grateful my hip feels better and I can attempt repairs. The one thing I CANNOT do myself is level this tuna fish can but I'm not gonna think about it right now, lol.

Anyway, warm wishes to everyone from me and Valkyrie. :puppysmooze:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom