Revision THR Complex surgery with revisions, infection, sepsis, and more…

We're thinking about you and rooting for you danelady!
Hope you're feeling better soon. Sorry you're having computer problems, but its a great time for you to rest after all you've been through. :friends:Take Good Care!
 
HI!!!!!!
Who knows how long before my phone gets kicked off the forum so I need to say HI.
This ordeal has caused me great upheavel....not just about my hip but also about my psychological meltdown.
Finally, my PCP suggested not allowing my OS to touch me with out someone looking at me first.
My insurance suggested I speak to one of their counselors to help me find out why I exploded the way I did. About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with PTSD. I learned that any kind of trauma can give you PTSD. I thought trucking had healed me....and it did, as long as I was in the truck but this past year has left me swinging in the wind unable to help myself......while it continuously got worse. I have been living hypervigilant and the severe allergic reaction I had caused my psyche to choose fight or flight....and I fought them tooth and nail.
How did my life come to this? I thought I had a broken hip, what I really have is a broken heart, mind, psyche. So I will continue to stay involved with the counselor, she rightfully concluded I have trust issues....with a local priest from my childhood, with violent lovers and finally with drs.

I am in rehab now....especially when I found out what a PICC line does and where it goes!!! I'll leave it to someone else, lol. I miss my dog. I really, really appreciate the kind words and support you freely send to me.
 
I am sorry, danelady. Thankfully you're surrounded by people eager to help you get on the right path. You've been through a lot and I hope you feel stronger physically and emotionally soon. We'll be here for support and encouragement when you need us. :console2:
 
@danelady I am praying and rooting for you, simultaneously. I love that you've held on to your sense of humor.
I'm also glad to hear you weren't a happy camper and fought a bit, shows you still have the spunk to get through all of this! I re-read that sentence, not glad you weren't a happy camper but yeah, you know what I meant.

We care about you and you have so many good wishes and prayers surrounding you!
 
We are all here for support. I cant imagine anyone going through what you have and be able to keep their sanity!! We so so appreciate you letting us know how you are doing. i feel like we are all in this together!
 
danelady you know you are a favorite of mine, I admire you so much, I wish I could rescue you. Many of us sweep deep feelings under the rug and put on a brave face for the world to see. I think you are courageous to face whatever you've tried to forget.
We all have a breaking point, I am also a very independent and strong woman and never needed anyone to take care of me, but I've had to learn to let people in that want to help me. Sometimes that's the hardest part.
We are here for you, I'm hopeful in the spirit of this time of year that you are blessed with healing, healing not only of your body but also peace to your mind and any traumas you have endured.
Only best wishes from me to you.
 
Danelady.....I'm so glad you were able to post on the forum. But I am very sorry to hear what you're going through. I have all the faith in the world that you'll meet this challenge just as you have done with others in your life and come through with a renewed enthusiasm for whatever this next chapter in your life will bring.

You've already done one of the most difficult steps....that's realizing that there is a problem and getting the right helpers involved. Your BoneSmart family is with you all the way!
 
@Jamie I just got a bit of good news which has raised my spirits. My neighbors have been taking care of my Val....playing with her, feeding her and most especially making sure sure she is warm but Val always stayed at my place.
Well, they brought her home to snuggle with their 4 dogs so she's not alone at night any more and my heart leapt with joy. The videos show them getting along just fine. Monday I am going to start looking for some way to get someone up there or a place I can come to down here in town to
 
Bless you, danelady. You are in the right place, you have a good team caring for you, sounds like.
Knowing your dogger is happy must have been a real boost. That is so relatable and understandable.
Don't worry about the fight or flight, it also could have been exacerbated by the epinephrine used to counter your horrible allergic reaction/anaphylaxis.
I learned about that many years ago as a dental assistant. some people are very sensitive to it-- some fight, some panic, some person.
My mom fought t he doctors on it, also. She actually bit through her lip! So, you are in good company.
So very glad you are in rehab for a while. I hope you can rest, get counseling and heal in peace. oh and antibiotics.. gotta have those too. :friends:
 
Last edited:
@danelady so happy that you're at rehab for a while. Please concentrate on you, resting, healing, both physically and emotionally. Sounds like Val is being well taken care of by your neighbors and probably loves having playmates. I so understand you're always trying to keep that brave face but its time to let the folks in that are there to help. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, sending good mojo and gentle cyber hugs.

And, just for a giggle :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 
@danelady .... my husband went through a similar experience when he was in the hospital one time where he became combative and actually punched a nurse in the stomach trying to get out of bed and over to the window. The poor nurse was trying to stop him because he wasn't able to walk at the time and would have fallen. We determined it was a reaction to pain medication that was either too strong or just inappropriate for him. So, don't feel bad about your experience. Medical personnel sadly do have these things happen sometimes and they understand it's not the patient's fault.

You sound like you might be feeling a bit more like yourself today. I hope so. Get plenty of rest!! So glad your pup is in a caring family while you're in rehab. Remember what I told you.....people usually really like being able to help someone who needs it. It sounds like your neighbors are just like that. You'll get a chance to return the favor once you're back on your feet again.
 
Danelady, intense levels of pain and frustration for long enough can also make us combative. Add in meds, and it can be too much.

Believe it or not, I had a horrifying reaction to Singulair, of all things. Started seeing things! Grew paranoid and aggressive. My neighbor quickly realized something was way wrong and looked up every possible side-effect. Turns out less than 1% of Singulair patients report a psychotic episode, and I was in that elite group. Talk about out of left field! My pharmacist is a former student so I told her to mark on my medical record that Singulair turns me into an axe murderess. Joking aside, please try to put the episode put of your mind. If I'd gone through everything you've been through, I'd have torn that hospital apart!!!!

So glad your pup is well-cared for because we animal lovers do fret about them. Knowing she's ok means you can relax and let others care for you. X :dogsniff: :flwrysmile:
 
Reading what you’ve been through makes me feel so sad for you. You’ve really had the worst time.

In theatre recovery we frequently have patients who are aggressive and struggle after an anaesthetic. We always have two of us at least so one can raise the alarm and help so the patient doesn’t hurt themselves (or us).

Anaesthetic can have that effect.
It doesn’t mean it’ll happen again either.

Anaesthetists have different preferences for drugs. One drug in particular causes hallucinations. It’s great for children but in adults it can be awful. I had a patient once who was really violent: screaming and shouting that we were all trying to murder her. It was upsetting to watch but we weren’t mad with the patient at all.

If our patients don’t remember we don’t tell them how bad they’ve been so as not to cause embarrassment but we do log it in the notes in case they have an anaesthetic again. If they do remember we make light of it as it’s not their fault and they shouldn’t feel bad about it.

So, please please don’t worry about that. The staff involved will have totally forgotten about it and won’t even think it was bad. They will have felt sorry for you that you’d had that reaction.

You’ve had a lot to go through in your past. Things no-one should have to endure. If sometimes you have a meltdown that’s okay. You can only be so strong and after all the problems with your hip it’s not surprising that happened.

I admire your strength and determination in not letting it get the better of you. You are truly an inspiration.
 
I had the reverse! When I woke up from open heart surgery, intubated, I went to yank the tube out (well, one would!) and the nurse swatted me! I wouldn’t give it a second thought. MOST nurses are compassionate and understanding. I just got me a doozy.
 
I also would not give the transient combative episode a second thought. Very possible from one of the agents such as epi… who knows. With that said,if you have counseling try to make sure the person specializes in medical trauma. You don’t want a junior therapist dealing with this! This has been unbelievable. I am really glad you had a stellar anesthesiologist by your side.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom