BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Coming along<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Elad1002, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

United States United States
    @JDinCT
    Yes, I have friends in Oxford, small world. Thanks for the support. I had my surgery at Midstate Joint Center in Meriden.

2. Didot

Didot junior member

Australia Australia
    You’re on your way at last! I’ve followed your journey and am so pleased that you can now start living again. Try to forget the knee and before you know it, you’ll start loving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’m so glad the day went well! :loveshwr:

4. ebungalow

ebungalow member

@Elad1002

Dale, I’m so glad it went well today!

And I use that exact phrase, “I’m coming along” all the time.

It’s perfect. It covers the bad days and the better days, and I don’t have to say which day is which and try to explain why.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. NavyGunns

NavyGunns FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Elad1002, so glad to hear your first day back went well. Don’t be surprised if your knee is a bit more swollen and stiff tomorrow. Today was all new for it, so it’s bound to rebel a bit, just like a temperamental child. If it does, just try to be a bit easier with it tomorrow. Spend more time icing and elevating in the evening. If necessary, see if it’s possible to alternate work days for a short bit. You will eventually get to 100%. Just be patient. All your friends here are holding your hand and helping you along.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It was many months before I could do steps like an adult. I just took them like a child until the pain went away. Now, I don't even think about going down them anymore, I just do it! You will, too, in time.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

So happy to see you had a good first day back. As far as my post op depression it did wonders for me!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@NavyGunns @sistersinhim
    Thanks for your support. Two 6 hour days and my knee is swollen and stiff again. Im walking a lot more than I was used to but it's really not that much. I get a pain here and there under kneecap still, mostly when I roll over in bed or attempt to walk downstairs. This recovery feels endless.

9. Jockette

Yes, this is a very long recovery. Your knee is reacting to being used more than it has been since surgery and more than it wants, because it still has a lot of healing to do. When you’re home try to rest as much as you can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. JDinCT

JDinCT member

@Elad1002 I TOTALLY understand the "endless" feeling.... however, in reality since you chose to do something about your knee, it is no longer endless. Set your sights on one year from your surgery date and focus on it. There will be ups and downs along the way for sure... but as long as the overall trend is positive... that's the place to put your focus and energy.

I've set a goal of wanting to ride my bike outside for a 10 mile ride along the Connecticut shore by Labor Day weekend. That is about nine months after my surgery date. I HOPE to make that ride and am working towards it... but if for some reason I can't quite make it... oh well... I will get to it in October or November..... or next spring... but eventually I WILL get to it!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. gia2cats

gia2cats junior member

@Elad1002,

I think you're doing great. Working is such a change from the routine of the past 3-4 months. Give it time.
    I can go to bed with no pain and wake up with some soft tissue pain in the AM. All from my sleep position which is usually a fetal position. Doesn't hurt when I'm sleeping, just when I wake up. And sometimes it's a little swollen.

My husband and I planned a hiking trip out west with friends in September. I realize now that even 9 months after surgery I can't commit to that. We were meeting friends out there and they hike every day, starting early AM. Maybe I could do one day but not several in a row. So we begged off of that trip. I have to give this knee time. And I've had a relatively easy recovery.

So working is bound to give your knee some different aches and pains. You and your knee are doing good.

12. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

Jockette, NavyGunns, ebungalow, Jaycey, Celle, grandma chris, gia2cats, sistersinhim, JDinCT @Lindylee
    Thank you all so much for your continued support. I can not adequately express how much it means to have someone rooting for you. Thanks for believing in me while I'm having difficulty believing in myself, you have all held me up. I am working my way through depression, anxiety and self doubt. I had the surgery because I didnt want to live out my 60's and 70's in continued pain, unless I swallow a ton of anti inflammatory pills. Cortisone shots stopped working and synvisc never worked. I have to remind myself that the surgery was a solution, because it feels so disabling at times. I am trying to stay positive and believe that I am healing well and all this will.pass. Please dont stop the positive messages. I will return the favor to the next group of TKR bonesmart members as I feel strong enough to do so. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  13. Jockette

This right here is proof that you are coming along! We all have struggles with this recovery, I certainly had my share. Going through what I did helps me relate better to others in a similar situation. You will be able to help others, too.

And we will always be here for you! :console2:

And, just a suggestion, please don’t tag several members all together, for some reason it messes up the appearance of the post for members using a small device, like their phone. You can list all the names like you did, just leave out the tags. We always check your new posts, so we’ll see it even without the tag. Just tag one person per paragraph and that will be fine. :flwrysmile:

14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I edited the tags out for you @Elad1002 . Great to see your positive post. This recovery can be totally daunting. But you will get there and be able to enjoy life without pain. You've got this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You are doing well, Dale, and both you and your knee are improving all the time.
    I'm glad we've been able to help you.
    That's what BoneSmart is all about - helping people through a difficult time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

@Elad1002 yes I still suffer from kneecap pain at times and I’m still slightly swollen. My surgeon didn’t seem to be overly concerned and said I could have swelling up to a year. I have been using the exercise bike lately and it seems to keep things not as tight which is good but I also have clicking sounds and I also feel them when I walk. I never had this with my first knee:(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@Josephine
    My latest kneecap pain is at the joint line under the patella. My doctor said it is likely fat pad impingement and will resolve as swelling goes down and leg strengthens. I'm also wondering if it could be patella tendon pain. IT hurts when I put ice on it. I read your article on Hoffa's syndrome along with the recommendations for treating it. I can not take NSAIDs because I am on Sertraline. Tylenol does not help, I had it taped again today, helps a little. Is there anything else I could do to alleviate that pain? Wondering if a topical prescription would help. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

19. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

@maryo52
    Thanks for your response. So does that mean anti inflammatory meds like Celebrex? I'm taking Zoloft and not supposed to take NSAIDs. I wonder what else I could do.

20. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Celebrex is an NSAID, an anti-inflammatory.

Zoloft is not, so you need to keep taking that.

I think that time, together with rest, elevation and icing when you can, will eventually cure your kneecap pain, as the swelling goes down.

Try to remember that complete recovery from a knee replacement does take a full year, and you are not yet 4 months into that - only a third of the way to full healing. There's still plenty of time for much more improvement.

Your knee won't always feel as it does now. It's still a work in progress, not the finished article.

For pain, it's safe to take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) 1,000 mg 6-hourly, to a maximum dose of 4,000 mg in each 24 hours.
    Do check any other medication you're taking, such as cold cures, to make sure there is no Acetaminophen/Tylenol in them. If there is, cut down one or two of your other doses, so you stay within that safe daily limit of 4,000 mg.