Guest viewing is limited

TKR Coming along<<

Off and on for several weeks beyond too. It’s all part of the healing process. I always felt it was the ligaments, etc. still healing, not the new knee implant itself. The soft tissues seem to take the longest to heal.
 
@NayGunns
Thanks for your response. Right in the center of my knee cap aches. I feel it most when I get up from a seated position. I have a patellar button and wondering if that could be what I feel.
 
@Josephine
Good evening, hope this post finds you well. I am having some fat pad impingement according to my doc so icing that area more frequently now. Os seems to feel that when the swelling goes down, it may resolve so we are taping right now.
What concerns me now is that I also am having pain right in the center of my knee cap. It especially hurts when I get up from a seated position or attempt to step down. Could this be due to the patellar button, feels like something rubbing inside.
 
Last edited:
@Elad1002, Josephine is away for a few days, so won't be answering you anytime soon. If you read a lot of threads you'll find that everything you are experiencing is completely normal. Worrying about these common pains isn't doing you or your knee any good. Why don't you search on here when you have a new pain. All those that posted about theirs will pop up and you can read about their struggles.
 
@sistersinhim
That's exactly what I've been doing! I cant find anything on the type of kneecap pain I'm having which is why I thought to ask the expert. Does bonesmart advocate massaging the incision scar? I've heard that people do that, but never read anything on here about doing that. My scar is not sensitive but when I rub it, feels like its sticking, if that makes sense.
 
There’s quite a few threads where people have talked about massaging scars. I found about 10 of them when I was talking about it in my thread.
 
@traceys
I did read a few since my last post. My scar isn't sensitive to touch, but when I massage it, it feels like its pulling and sticking underneath and feels nervy, especially towards the bottom. I recieved a cupping massage from my PT, not sure it did anything, but she didn't do the scar, not sure why. I'm going to ask her about it next week.
Is it possible to reduce the inflammation with massage, is that the reason you have it done weekly?
 
@Elad1002 Hi, I've been massaging my scar with Bio Oil following a technique shown on You Tube by a couple of PT's. I've put the link on my thread if you want to have a look.

I had terrible pain in the middle of my kneecap for ages. I'm pretty sure I had a patella button as I was told my patella was the most degenerative part of my joint, but haven't confirmed it with the surgeon yet, as I haven't seen him since the operation. I see him for the first time in 10 days when I'll find out exactly what was done.
 
Last edited:
@Elad1002, even at 11 months post op I catch myself massaging the area of my scar, mainly cause it feels good when I do. Also, massaging it with something like ScarShield or Bio oil can help to minimize the appearance of the scar over time.
 
My massages are for different reasons (my rmt is proficient in different styles) and some of them aren’t pleasant but you can get one that helps with circulation and therefore inflammation but you are best to talk to your dr or therapist for your specific case.
Time is the best for everything you are going thru. No meds or therapies or anything is going to over ride what your knee wants to do on it’s time schedule.
 
It especially hurts when I get up from a seated position or attempt to step down. Could this be due to the patellar button
I think not because the button doesn't 'experience' pain! It's more like to be either a bursitis or a tendinitis.

Show me where it is using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Coming along<<


Is it possible to reduce the inflammation with massage
Maybe, maybe not. Try it and see.
 
I am returning to work on Monday and my anxiety symptoms that were triggered by the trauma of this surgery are up again. I'm on medication and using positive self talk but the truth is, it isn't much better. I wake up every day with butterflies in my stomach and an inner tremulousness. My thoughts are that I feel disabled, my knee feels heavy, and not at all like it belongs to me. This causes so much anxiety that it is difficult to get through the long days. My husband is supportive but I'm just no good for anyone right now. The depression is very real and I dont know what the future my hold. I am suffering every day. If there is anyone on this site that is dealing or has dealt with this, please offer some words of hope. I am seeing a therapist, I dont know what else to do. Prior to surgery I ran a very busy Therapeutic Recreation Department in long term care and had a happy home life. Everything seems upside down. I am all ears if anyone has dealt with anxiety and depression. Thank you
 
@Elad1002, I wish I had magic words of hope and encouragement for you. Other than telling you not to worry so much, I’m at a bit of a loss as I tend to be just the opposite of you. It takes a lot to get me down and depressed. Do I get anxious, sure, but more of a nervous, can’t wait to get this show going kind of anxious. Not what you are going through. The one thing I do that does help me when I am facing anything similar to you is pray. I simply tell God what my frustrations and concerns are, what has me all nervous and such, and ask for his Grace to give me calming peace of mind. It always seems to help, sometimes more than other times, but it does help.

I truly believe you will find yourself feeling much better after tomorrow. You just need to get through today.
 
@Elad1002
Your thread title has been changed to "Anxiety and Depression". If you would like a thread title change in the future just post it here. A moderator will change it for you.
Depression is common after joint replacement, you are not alone.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

With your new thread title other members facing anxiety and depression will be along to post their experiences.
 
@Elad1002 So sorry you are having such a rough time. I didn't have anxiety and depression post either THR. But I did have it after a sudden cardiac issue. I just couldn't get my head around suddenly being a cardiac patient. Then there was the constant worry that I might have a major cardiac episode. I really think it was a form of PTSD.

If it helps, many report having PTSD post major surgery. It's good you are seeing someone about this. Discuss your fears and concerns. Come here and share if it helps. I found getting outdoors and working in the garden or with my animals really helped ease the anxiety. Discussing my experiences with other cardiac patients also helped a great deal.

All the best tomorrow. Maybe getting back to work will ease this a bit. Take care of yourself!
 
If it helps, many report having PTSD post major surgery.
I feel I am suffering a bit from this. Mine came about from my PTs and my surgeon pushing my knee to a painful place to measure ROM. It took me until my 7 month check up to refuse to let my surgeon do that. He had hurt me the worst at my four month check up. Of course, I had long been discharged from PT by then, but I dreaded my approaching checkups long before the day I went.

Somebody else might have just gotten annoyed about it, but my personality was deeply upset about it. It instilled a deep fear of anyone touching my leg.

It is also my personal opinion that even though we don’t remember our surgery, I think somewhere our brain does remember it, and some of us react more strongly than others to the trauma done to our body.

I am still very fearful of physical therapists, and I’m 2 years post op. I realize my fear is most likely irrational, but it’s not easy to just let it go and think positively.

Hopefully returning to work will help you. It will take your mind to things you need to think about and do at work, and it might be a good mood lifer to get back into a more normal routine, and as you accomplish things at work it will be gratifying to realize what you can do.

You will still be in healing mode for a while, so try not to feel bad if you have to ask for help, or have to put your leg up, or whatever you need to do for your comfort. I hope you have friendly and helpful colleagues who will welcome you back.

One day, one hour, one minute, one step at a time. :console2:
 
@Jaycey
Thank you for your post. I also feel that what I am experiencing is PTSD.
When you think about it, I went to sleep and got assaulted. Maybe that's why we all have insomnia afterward. I will mention it to my therapist tommorow night. My knee is still stiff so not sure about fulfilling all my job requirements.
Doctors note only reads that my limitations are 20 hour employment until April 1, then back to 40.
I can only do what I could do and I will not risk hurting myself. It will be interesting for sure.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom